It is currently 10 May 2024, 20:31

The Wall.... Oh dear...

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

The Wall.... Oh dear...

Postby sharpey » 29 Nov 2012, 16:40

Well Baz and I set off to the above on one of the coldest calmest days of the year with not a very high expectation of catching much. We know it fishes better at night, but times were wrong, so it was a day shift for us. Collected a minimal amount of fresh off Sam at Gerrys, and on arrival at the Wall had the place to ourselves. And what a shytte tip the place was. I thought we had got through to the knobs who leave litter on here, as our last few trips had been quite tidy ones... But today if looked bloody awful.
We got our gear set up and in as the 9.2 tide was at the stones of the Wall then set to picking up two carrier bags full of crap. And that didn't include the crap we couldn't reach below our rods..??Image
Newspapers( which as we know will disappear with the wind and water etc, )but towels won't ... Line, beer cans , fag ends all over the place.
Three hooks just dumped on the footpath for any unsuspecting dog walker to walk onto, beads, swivels and lead clips too. So a crap start to the session. We cleared up for about 50 yards either side of our spot, and settled back to watch our rod tips. Mine didn't move... One rattle all feckin day ..!!! Baz had a few knocks early on. and eventually after carefully timing his strike to connect.. he landed the blighter
No match for my mate... A good while later Baz had another knock, and reeled in...
the blank saver.. Well for him anyway..
A few others turned up to fish, including one guy who drove up and stopped just short of where we had tidied the footpath up to, got out and seemed to go straight to a length of line with either a hook or lead attached.." Not like you to miss a lead Sharpey..??" I hear... Guy looks at it and drops if on the deck and drives up to tell us what a messy place this is, and responsible anglers like him wouldn't leave such a mess ... He drove off along the Wall, so I went to check out the item he'd dropped and found a complete penell pulley rig with a big hook on still loaded with either squid or similar tied on with elastic..??? And he'd just dropped it back on the footpath. We couldn't really believe what we'd seen...Anyway, got to 1 o'clock , the fishing was dead so we cleared off. Be a while before we return I fear... Beautiful day for weather, great scenery and bird life but no fish. Few parting shots...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354203525.580715.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354203525.580715.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 360 times
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: The Wall.... Oh dear...

Postby Mike T » 29 Nov 2012, 16:59

Its disgusting its not hard to pick up after u.

Hard luck on the fishing mate

2014, species, codling, whiting, dab, blenny, flounder, bass 41cm, thornback ray on lrf tackle in morecambe bay off the shore. smoothound in heysham. plaice 2lb 1oz nasty weaver.
King of the North Wall

The Wall.... Oh dear...

Postby Pugsie » 29 Nov 2012, 17:04

Nice day to be owt Sharpey beats bein in work:0) cheers for report mate shame bowt the mess tho.
Captain Pugwash

Postby andyb71 » 29 Nov 2012, 19:25

well done on the clean up...when are the codling gonna show up??????????????
Hardcore Addict

Postby Padsta Tel » 29 Nov 2012, 20:26

Top marks for the clean up lads shame not many fish. :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby Baz C » 29 Nov 2012, 20:45

Didn't expect much today and wasn't disappointed, was surprised to even pick up a whiting :whistle: however the criac was good and it was rather nice in the sun, think I've slightly dehydrated ??? think I'll go and pour a pint :thumb:

What Sharpey didn't mention was the pillock who came and retrieved the rig and promply threw it on the floor stoppped and asked how the fishing was "shyte" was the reply, "just like all the rubbish over the wall'' ....... "yeah" he said "not like us proper anglers eh" so I suggested that he might have liked to have taken the rig and dumped it in our rubbish bags instead of just throwing it on the floor ...... well I did sort of blank today, he gave me a blank look :banghead:
Master Brewer at The Den Brewery
The Brewmeister

Postby Rushy » 29 Nov 2012, 21:19

It looked a great day to be wetting a line, even if the fishing was poor.....at least the company was good, and spare a thought for us poor buggers in work (sorry for swearing....w*rk!) :fishing:

A huge thanks from all responsible anglers for the litter pick up too :notworthy: I know it's not our job to pick up after others, but you just can't get through to some people :huan kerr: I can see this venue being lost due to the litter problem, so actions like yours are to be applauded :clap: keep it up everyone :thumb:

Great report and pictures :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby Padsta Tel » 29 Nov 2012, 21:30

It would be sad :( :( :( to lose this venue for ease of fishing but its crap most of the time and we might find a better one somewhere in Sunny morecambe. :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby mercury 13 » 30 Nov 2012, 16:32

Its a shame your day is spoilt picking up after other lazy b*****ds crap,but at least you got out and caught :clap:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Blanko » 30 Nov 2012, 18:41

:gp: :gp: Nice report even if it was a tad short on fish! Looked a dire day with such a flat calm,be nice if that weather was the prime fishing conditions and not when it's blowing bloody gales!!! :gp: :gp:

Now down to business :banghead: The mess left by and lack of consideration toward others shown by many anglers never ceases to amaze me and the North wall is THE spot to find it in abundance. I've never known a place so littered or full of selfish people who'll ruin your day at the drop of a hat.

In recent months I've found over 20 rigs left on the pavement side,along with rig packets,so theyre casuals who buy their rigs + bait (plus beer + fags for dessert) then discard the rigs after fishing. An addict recently had to fund a £1000+ operation on his dog after some selfish moron left a mackerel baited feathers trace in a bush at the harbour. Dogs are drawn to smelly bait like magnets and itll only want a non-angler writing to Peel about their dog swallowing a discarded hook and it might just be all over for the rest of us.

I've noticed anglers restrain themselves on most venues in the daylight hours,Ok a few bait papers can be found but these disintegrate in minutes in the sea but on the whole it's clean-ISH during the daytime when they can be seen . Take away the daylight and the same 'great bunch of lads' become filthy animals,we fished Fleetwood 3 weeks ago and during the windy night session we picked up nearly a full BINBAG (That I'd been keeping for all the fish :crazy: )of Bluey/Sandeel/frozen crab wrappers,2 squid boxes,3 tip light packs,about a dozen rig packets and a heap of the days broadsheets with sweaty snotty black lug juice scent about them.The crap just kept blowing in from our left,papers and plastic bowling along the shingle and often into the back of our shelter. My youngest found it amusing filling the bag and waiting for the next garbage to come along. These were serious anglers too,Ok there's no saying who did and didn't let their rubbish blow conveniently away but its inexcusable. There are LOTS of anglers like this around, people that come on sites like this are generally less likely to behave in this way on their own doorstep or thankfully anyone else's but we can post til we're blue in the face and itll make not a shiny Sh**e of difference,the rig packs,wipes and bait wrappers will be there again the day after.

Which is why when regulation comes to recreational angling the 4 million anglers touted as being active in the UK will roll over belly up and take it up the Gary,the vast majority couldn't care less,theyll take up banger racing or ferreting to fill their weekends. Sad that such a mainstream sport/hobby (NOT even going into that debate) has such weak support due to such a % of numpties being counted among them.

Which is why the rest of us who remain in sensible communication need to be as vigilant as these 2 upright Wombling citizens .Good effort lads :thumb: :notworthy: :thumb: :notworthy: :thumb: :notworthy: :thumb:

That rant keeps my blood pressure within recommended parameters (for a Giraffe) for a few more weeks,pity the minority have to do this cleaning up week in week out all year long,be a shame though if the Wall/harbour was lost as its a great venue for the less able and even to bring kids to learn without getting them covered in mud + wet through.
2015 total : 26 sessions 188 fish
Species : Whiting,Codling,Dab,Flounder,Plaice,Dogfish,Bass,Eel,
King Of the Plaice
King Of the Plaice

Next

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports