It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:33

Walney Channel 11hDec

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Walney Channel 11hDec

Postby nuttyprot » 12 Dec 2012, 16:23

Well after the weekends failed attempts I was starting to go stir crazy and popped to one of the local bargain/junk shops and got me a cheap £1.99 headlight to use until the one I ordered from the bay turns up.

Set of 7pm and was fishing by 7:30 first cast out got myself a whiting about 5in long to my delight due to the weekends failed attempts this was enough to make me happy safety returned. Re baited and cast back out and before my lead even hit the ground the tip was going nuts thinking it was just another whiting I decided to leave it as i had a 2 hook flapper on and another fish may come along and grab the other hook.

I went to sit down and the next thing I know my rod tip bends over instead of rattling could I be wrong and its not a whiting I jumped up grabbed the rod and could feel this fish fighting and feeling the fish I knew instantly it was no whiting. I reeled in and as I got the fish close to the edge I then realized how the hell am I going to get this up the wall? Was to heavy for me to hand line it up the side and I don't have a drop net. Remembering seeing some steps about 20ft down the wall around the corner and knowing this was my only option if I wanted to land this fish I started walking towards the steps. As I walked I loosened the drag on my reel so the fish could take a little line and prevent it getting snagged on the wall this I thought proved to be a huge mistake as the 2nd I reached the steps I felt the line go slack and I ended up on my rear swearing at myself like a mad man thinking me loosening the drag was the reason I lost the fish. Only when I inspected my rig ready for rebating did I find what I think was the real fault for me losing the fish the top hook on the rig had been bent straight.

Placed on another rig and continued fishing on the 5-6 cast I managed a whiting of 29cm. This all happened about 1 hour before HT and I never received another knock after this until about 1hour after HT. next thing I know the wife is phoning me asking ware I am as I was due home about 10:30 looking at my phone I realized in was 11:45 I had completely lost track of time. packed up and went home.

Sadly no pics as people know my camera on the phone is crap at night time. Really enjoyed the session and was nice to get out fault free :).

Rigs used

2 hook flapper
Pennel rig

Bait Used
Mussel (2 fish)
Lug ( 0 bites)
Local Frozen Crab (1 bite)
mackerel ( used for tipping)
Squid ( no bites)
Prawn (never used this bait)

Time fished
Start 7:30
HT 9:30
Finished 11:45
Fish biting from 7:30-8:45 then again 10:30 until I left at 11:45

Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Walney Channel 11hDec

Postby mercury 13 » 12 Dec 2012, 16:44

Unlucky nutty lad :banghead: At least you know your doing something right if your picking up fish. Know how you feel as I've lost many a big :fish: :doh: Stick at it mate theres always next time..
Hardcore Addict

Postby sawman » 12 Dec 2012, 16:52

:gp: that mate made me :lol: when u went on your bum my mate did that years back had a good :lol: then. toyou have had some bad luck think you need a lucky charm in your fishing box mate bet u were :banghead:when u lost that big fish on a :cold: night . keep them :fishing: reports coming
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rocket Ron » 12 Dec 2012, 18:41

They say that bad luck comes in three's, and by my recconing Nutty lad you've nowt but good luck due you from now till the cows come home.
Any one seen any cows about lately?
Rocket Ron

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports