It is currently 18 May 2024, 22:10

Flounders on the ribble 15-3-17

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Re: Flounders on the ribble 15-3-17

Postby Terrybrown » 16 Mar 2017, 10:20

Well done on what looked like a great session shane :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Postby bob1 » 16 Mar 2017, 11:00

Great result mate well done :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby sharpey » 16 Mar 2017, 16:33

Great day out mate?? Love the bite indicator haha...!!! Good result too, some good fish there..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby Shane ousby » 16 Mar 2017, 17:54

sharpey wrote:Great day out mate?? Love the bite indicator haha...!!! Good result too, some good fish there..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouldn't go without that old bite indicator sharpey :thumb:
Tommorow is promised to no one...we plan...GOD laughs.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Shane ousby » 16 Mar 2017, 17:58

Thanks for your comments fellas ....enjoy your :fishing: :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Fzappa » 16 Mar 2017, 23:57

Well done, nice session a good report and plenty of photos.............. :cheer:
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 17 Mar 2017, 00:01

Nice day out on the marsh :thumb: Good effort mate
Hardcore Addict

Postby boxerman » 17 Mar 2017, 11:28

Looks like you were out on the same day as I was. Great day's fishing, wasn't it?
You've written an excellent report - well done! [on both the fishing and report]

I've tried circle hooks in the past but couldn't get on with them and I've had fish throwing the hook on the way in [which I know in theory, they can't].
When fishing the Bullnose, I use very small hooks - size 6 which I feel will do less damage if I need to leave them inside a fish. Most of the flounders I caught on Wednesday were lip hooked, a couple needed the Gemini disgorger and a couple swam away with the hook still in them.
If I can't get the hook out after a couple of goes, I cut the line, I think it does more harm to the fish poking things down it's throat than leaving the hook in. Don't know what others think about this?

Frank
Hardcore Addict

Postby Shane ousby » 17 Mar 2017, 13:35

boxerman wrote:Looks like you were out on the same day as I was. Great day's fishing, wasn't it?
You've written an excellent report - well done! [on both the fishing and report]

I've tried circle hooks in the past but couldn't get on with them and I've had fish throwing the hook on the way in [which I know in theory, they can't].
When fishing the Bullnose, I use very small hooks - size 6 which I feel will do less damage if I need to leave them inside a fish. Most of the flounders I caught on Wednesday were lip hooked, a couple needed the Gemini disgorger and a couple swam away with the hook still in them.
If I can't get the hook out after a couple of goes, I cut the line, I think it does more harm to the fish poking things down it's throat than leaving the hook in. Don't know what others think about this?

Frank

I think frank on your point re gut hooked ////deep down hooked. I would rather return a flattie with a hook in rather then return it dead especially the under sized ones we'll any fish for that matter ..the hook dissolves in time some times they can spit them out in time ..the fish still lives and remains healthy :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby davek » 18 Mar 2017, 19:05

Congrats all round, a good session and a top class report. :gp:

I particularly liked what you had to say about switching to circle hooks because I've done a lot of fishing in Florida, where circle hooks are very popular. I've always found that a fish which goes off on a run after picking up the bait will hook itself in the process, and with circle hooks that usually results in the hook being in the corner of it's mouth. I've used them with shrimp and live-bait to catch snappers, bluefish and jack cravelle over there but I haven't tried using them for worm fishing here in the UK...so I'm now going to.
Almost an Addict

PreviousNext

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports