It is currently 10 May 2024, 14:05

Stone jetty 24 nov

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Stone jetty 24 nov

Postby Eospete » 24 Nov 2012, 13:50

Lovely morning so took Dad down to the stone jetty in morecambe. Watery winter sun and a slight nip to the air but nice to be out. We didn't know where to really go so we fished off the end. I know now it is something of a tackle graveyard after taking advice in store.

Dad kept getting snagged as the tide turned and pulled round his 4oz flattie lead. I seemed to be casting further and was snag free. At high tide we caught 20cm whiting, a beautiful orange coloured rockling at 20cm and on a spinning rod line literally dangled over the edge a 30cm flounder I've just eaten for lunch. All caught on smelly black lug tipped with mackerel on size 3/0 hooks and a biggish bait. I doubled over the lug before tipping it. Nice to christen the new shakespeare agility rod I bought at gerrys. A nice afternoon rig tying planned.

Hope to be back in a fortnight to wet the line again.
Peter
Last edited by Eospete on 24 Nov 2012, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Dry lines catch no fish
<*}}}}}><
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Stone jetty 24 nov

Postby hughie » 24 Nov 2012, 14:14

well done ,nice to catch some fish, decent flounder.
LETS GO FISHING.
Rossall Bassmeister

Postby satty » 24 Nov 2012, 14:48

i refuse to fish from there again,went earlier in the year,pal fished off the southern side right at the end and spent most of the time removing seaweed,I fished from the northern end and lost loads of tackle.Ironically he was only one that caught anything
Almost an Addict

Postby Padsta Tel » 24 Nov 2012, 20:50

A good day out so it seems well done on no blanks :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby codnaper » 24 Nov 2012, 20:57

Well done on getting out and catching :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rushy » 25 Nov 2012, 00:21

Nice one Peter, that sounds like an enjoyable session :thumb:

I cut my angling teeth on the stone jetty and the now long gone piers many many moons ago. The jetty has been ruined in my eyes by extending it and putting that blasted rock armour everywhere. This has caused the Morecambe side of it to silt up and shallow, you hardly get any fishing time at all on a small tide.
There used to be the remains of an old pier that ran parallel to the jetty itself, it was a good 100+ yds cast to get near it (a good cast for a nipper), but you knew when you'd put a good cast out as you'd catch codling at night. and great bags of 1lb+ whiting off the corner under the lighthouse.
It runs too hard off the end now on all but the smaller tides, though you can still get codling, especially at the death on the ebb on small tides :thumb:

Good report and thanks for sharing :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby Eospete » 25 Nov 2012, 00:56

It was fascinating to watch the currents develop and change during our time on the jetty. Next time I will try off the side looking upstream and try my hand on the mudflats towards the slipway.

By the time we had finished we were able to recce that side. I wish I'd brought my camera along.

I was wondering if there is a better way to fish two hooks on the bottom rather than using a flapper rig. Was wondering if using a longer snood with a swan shot at the hook eye might work or whether that might be tackle prone when casting. The hooks would be less likely to pick up weed as well. Trying to be a thinking angler you see. Cheers for any thoughts.
P
Last edited by Eospete on 25 Nov 2012, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dry lines catch no fish
<*}}}}}><
Hardcore Addict

Postby thegentlegiant » 25 Nov 2012, 10:28

The Finn Breakfree Leads are key to this, they work very well on the end of the jetty I've fished some monster tides on there against people judgement, there is a nack to fishing the end, the more you go the easier it gets to fish the end.
Hardcore Addict

Postby russkea » 25 Nov 2012, 11:32

Eospete wrote:Lovely morning so took Dad down to the stone jetty in morecambe. Watery winter sun and a slight nip to the air but nice to be out. We didn't know where to really go so we fished off the end. I know now it is something of a tackle graveyard after taking advice in store.

Dad kept getting snagged as the tide turned and pulled round his 4oz flattie lead. I seemed to be casting further and was snag free. At high tide we caught 20cm whiting, a beautiful orange coloured rockling at 20cm and on a spinning rod line literally dangled over the edge a 30cm flounder I've just eaten for lunch. All caught on smelly black lug tipped with mackerel on size 3/0 hooks and a biggish bait. I doubled over the lug before tipping it. Nice to christen the new shakespeare agility rod I bought at gerrys. A nice afternoon rig tying planned.

Hope to be back in a fortnight to wet the line again.
Peter

what are your reviews on the agility rod is it the 15ft you have bought as I've been looking at buying one of these but as the combo from gerrys had good reviews in sea angler and seems a decent rod for the money want to treat myself for christmas
Hardcore Addict

Postby Eospete » 25 Nov 2012, 12:54

I bought the 11' 6" agility and matched it with a shimano navi 8000
To me it feels well made and certainly I could never tell it was 6 sections from the action but as this is my first beachcaster I have no other benchmark other than handling a few in store and taking advice. My dad prefers it to his Leeda powerstik but after he snapped off twice he wanted to just watch my rods so I didn't get chance to cast his rod. If anything the butt to reel length is just a tad too long when when reeling in but it's hardly the rods fault I'm a shorty! I still think i bought the right rod for me. Hope this helps.
Dry lines catch no fish
<*}}}}}><
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports