It is currently 01 May 2024, 15:22

Ratherheath, 6.3.2012

General Coarse fishing and Carp forum.

Ratherheath, 6.3.2012

Postby sharpey » 06 Mar 2012, 17:43

Well, had a couple of hours to spare, so decided to go local to one of our WADAA waters for a session. :thumb: :thumb: Now this is a bit dicey this time of year, :unsure: :unsure: our waters are still very cold up here, and wouldn't have been warmed by last nights -3 temperatures... :cold: :cold: Still, decided to give it a go. Down to Carlsons for a very small pot of maggots and a bag of fish dust (groundbait) and up to the pond. Surprised to see another angler on?? :o :o Was sitting behind two carp rods waiting...and waiting...then he went home. didn't see him catch at all, spose he may have before I got there..?? :fishing: ???
So set up, double red maggot on a 14 hook, and waited....and waited...and was very happy after about half an hour when the float dipped, and I missed it..(winter rust..) Straight back in and away it went straight away..
Nice chunky little Roach in quite good nick..So result, another followed soon after, then a few more and decided to call it a day as the sun went and the cloud came over. :cold: :cold: Had a chat with Bill the warden for WADAA, and then as another two VERY dark clouds came over I packed up. These two clouds were Cormorants...!! Much clapping and yelling at them, and they disappeared...for now...and so did I. Happy with result. :cheer: :cheer:
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Ratherheath, 6.3.2012

Postby Padsta Tel » 06 Mar 2012, 18:01

Good to get out Sharpey and a few fish to keep you busy shameit was colder today. :thumb: :thumb: :gp:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby Baz C » 06 Mar 2012, 19:56

Sneaky bugger, getting some maggot drowning practice in :thumb: no blank either, nice one Sharpey :thumb:

Thursday ? :whistle:
Master Brewer at The Den Brewery
The Brewmeister

Postby Brez » 07 Mar 2012, 21:08

Bonny fish, a net full of those always go down well. Do any of you WADAA's fish the River Winster these days, can find very little about it on the 'net.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Gadger » 07 Mar 2012, 21:16

Haven't fished at ratherheath for years, but always remember it being a lovely picturesque place. My personal best common carp came from here at 17.5lb on a cheeky overnight session,,,,,,allegedly. :whistle:
Horse flies used to eat me to death though :evil:
Nerves of steel, Heart of gold, Knob of butter.
Trainee Addict

Ratherheath, 6.3.2012

Postby sharpey » 07 Mar 2012, 22:12

Never fished the Winster, did the Gilpin as a kid?? Never heard any crack about either of late. Ratherheath is a bit of a work in progress, WADAA did a big clear out last season and stripped out a lot of trees, Rhododendrons etc clearing back and creating much better looking pond. Trouble is its very shallow in places and full of silt and dead leaves. Removing the trees might ease that a bit I spose, but on its day it fishes really well. Some big carp in there, Bream slabs, Skimmers , Tench and Roach, Rudd and Perch. Very handy for me!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby TerryG » 07 Mar 2012, 23:43

Nice little day for you steve :thumb: :thumb: , You still have your mojo mate :bleh: :yeah2: :gp: :clap:
Terry 9T's

Postby james1984 » 08 Mar 2012, 15:39

Nice roach mate & great pictures. Keep at it. :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Return to Coarse and Carp