It is currently 21 May 2024, 00:38

Penn reel

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

Re: Penn reel

Postby grandadruss » 09 Sep 2013, 19:48

Thanks guys,like the Penn info Kyle,ta.
When I saw LONG BEACH on the reel I assumed LONG as in casting and BEACH as in the beach :dummy:
Not Long Beach as in California USA.
The deal was done with a mate so that's the end of it.If it was found to be worth double the twenty quid he wouldn't call round for more and same goes for me.... :yeah2:
My chum also said he had a boat rod for another tenner which should have rang bells that it might be a boat rod...???
Really like the reel so will probably get the rod off him and check out mackerel boat trips.
Or buy a boat....???? ??? ??? ??? ???
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Postby baitdigger » 09 Sep 2013, 21:35

Sharpey, my Dad had a Penn Surfmaster just like the one in your photo. I must have it somewhere? the bloke on the side has a great hat on! Blanko is right - a gentle lob off the jetty was all that was needed for a bag full of fish,no need for distance casting in Morecambe in the 60's and 70's!

I started with a Penn Seaboy. It had no gears, so the spool was free running - backwards and forwards. I had to wrap the line around the handle to stop the line running out!!

The white Mitchells were all the rage before the ABU's started appearing. Mine was used almost daily until it started screaming as the bearings went. No shock leaders - straight through 25lb line!!

GrandadRuss - you were right to buy it! £20 quid bargain. Right bait in the right place = fish!! :fish: :fish:

great report lads - nice memories, we should have an antique gear match??
species 2012 - cod 4lb 10oz, dab, whiting, flounder, more flounders, eel Species 2013 - dab, plaice
Hardcore Addict

Penn reel

Postby sharpey » 09 Sep 2013, 22:52

Had a Seaboy too..?? Dunno what happened to it ... Big Bakelite sides ..!!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby Blanko » 10 Sep 2013, 07:32

baitdigger wrote:Sharpey, my Dad had a Penn Surfmaster just like the one in your photo. I must have it somewhere? the bloke on the side has a great hat on! Blanko is right - a gentle lob off the jetty was all that was needed for a bag full of fish,no need for distance casting in Morecambe in the 60's and 70's!

I started with a Penn Seaboy. It had no gears, so the spool was free running - backwards and forwards. I had to wrap the line around the handle to stop the line running out!!

The white Mitchells were all the rage before the ABU's started appearing. Mine was used almost daily until it started screaming as the bearings went. No shock leaders - straight through 25lb line!!

GrandadRuss - you were right to buy it! £20 quid bargain. Right bait in the right place = fish!! :fish: :fish:

great report lads - nice memories, we should have an antique gear match??

Funny, back in the very early 80s I bought an ABU 6500CA to replace my own dead Mitchell,looked just the same as the latest ones but probably more solid internally. I had to pack the reel seat with tape on my ABU174C as it was quite unheard of to use a 6000 size reeel for beach work. It used to draw sniggers from damn near everyone and I lost count of the number of times know it alls would come up and tell me I needed to 'get a proper size reel,thats only for freshwater fishing' or 'you'll bloody break that the 1st Cod you catch-IF you CAN catch a Cod on that little reel'

Everyone used Big Penns,Mitchells and for the really minted ABU 7000s-seen as gods among reels back then and £70 even then !

Mind you my rod was among the 1st with new fangled Duplon grips and at a staggering 11'9" or so it drew hoots of derision from the older anglers who used to tell me it didn't matter West end pier blew down,I could still reach the end with my rod etc. Most stuff was 10'-11' about then,mind I think the funniest bit was the rings-early BNHGs (lumi shock absorber ones) . The Diamite (remember the bloody notching on the tip with those????) ones were fitted to most rods still and my new ABU was declared to be 'A girl's rod' , 'Bloody puff's rod' and many times 'those rings look stupid,theyre bloody plastic so they'll crack in the cold' and 'Well THERE'S something that WON'T catch on!'

Still,I don't miss 'em,much better with today's gear but we did have some laughs :thumb:
2015 total : 26 sessions 188 fish
Species : Whiting,Codling,Dab,Flounder,Plaice,Dogfish,Bass,Eel,
King Of the Plaice
King Of the Plaice

Postby grandadruss » 11 Sep 2013, 20:37

Going for it...
Next time I'm at the jetty will set up with two rods.
Firstly me ugli stick rod and reel and will set up the olympic rod and penn reel just for the hell of it.
Just drop it down if I have to as the tide recedes :D :D
I promise to post a pic of a jetty catch with my penn reel. :fishing: :fishing:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby norfolk and chance » 12 Sep 2013, 17:17

hi mate if it has an aluminium spool you ok for casting . I have a penn jigmaster which I fitted some small mags to and it casts pretty good. it looks similar to the jigmaster.
plenty of info on the net about magging you own reel and the mags are cheap on ebay.
I might put some pics of mine on here later if I have time!
Almost an Addict

Postby norfolk and chance » 12 Sep 2013, 17:43

My Penn Jigmaster with mags , note I don't fill the spool up to the top ,no need to if fishing from the shore
Attachments
DSCF3124.JPG
DSCF3124.JPG (270.03 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF3122.JPG
DSCF3122.JPG (219.5 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSCF3121.JPG
DSCF3121.JPG (186.82 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Almost an Addict

Postby SteveT » 02 Oct 2013, 15:14

My first multi was an Intrepid Sea Streak. Known as a Sea Shriek because of the racket it made. The bees knees when it first came out. Fibre glass spool no less!!!!

edit by admin

Found this nice little video Steve :thumb:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_-zD1rpWg[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_-zD1rpWg
Almost an Addict

Postby Rushy » 02 Oct 2013, 15:35

SteveT wrote:My first multi was an Intrepid Sea Streak. Known as a Sea Shriek because of the racket it made. The bees knees when it first came out. Fibre glass spool no less!!!!

I remember those, it was always my dream to own one......I had a winfield special (woolworths!)

Woah!! Just found it on ebay!! :hurt:

Trust me....it looks a lot better than it actually was :doh: it birdied every 3rd cast on average, this is the reel which made me an expert birdie unpicker :lol: :lol: :lol:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby sharpey » 02 Oct 2013, 16:32

Woolworths..!! Winfield tackle ..!! Used to browse the range in Carlisle in the late 70's..!! Not bad gear for the Woolies price tag..!!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Previous

Return to Tackle Talk