It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:19

My Old 1pc 13ft Saber Casting Surf Rod With 8 Guides!

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

My Old 1pc 13ft Saber Casting Surf Rod With 8 Guides!

Postby Scuba Chris » 24 Jun 2023, 17:36

For a time back when i was growing-up the fiberglass Sabers were a common mainstay for the GT anglers in Hawaii. Before fiberglass we used "cured" bamboo that we picked our-selfs in upper Nu'uano & Manoa Valleys on Oahu, Hawaii. My parents owned a florist so procuring bamboo was never a problem (used for wreath stands). They had to be dried/cured then coated.

I have several of these relics still left. This particular piece was gifted to me by one of my buddies. The problem was getting mounting plates made for your reels. They're all 1-piecers. Because of the weight & length they had to be tied outside the car. Usually the front was attached to the base of the passenger mirror & the back side door handle handled the butt section. My grandfather loved these rods. He'd fish for GT Ulua off Salt Lake district on Oahu which at the time was a real natural Salt Lake on Oahu. And Kahala Amberjack off Kahala Beach Park in front of the drainage canal. Notice the similarities?

My first 2 were custom wrapped by Fuji's Fishing Supply on Waialae Ave in Kaimuki. I had the typical 13ft and a lighter thinner 11ft. It was always the shorter lighter 11ft on the inside that caught fish, never the outside rig. By the time i made 19 i had 17 GT's. But i gave that up because i became a commercial diver and knew where to spear them when i needed one. I went cold turkey for over 30yr before picking up fishing again in Florida.

https://youtu.be/25OhYHxlP_c
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 6.18.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 6.18.28 AM.png (359.13 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Tackle Talk