It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:59

Low water Town hall Steps Mersey 9th Dec

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Postby Rushy » 09 Dec 2012, 22:40

The plan was to go yesterday when it was nice and calm and sunny, but with pesky xmas shopping getting in the way (bah humbug!) it had to be rescheduled for Sunday morning instead. Of course, the weather had changed with the winds gusting up to 35mph with rain showers in the morning :doh:

First of all, we stopped off on the way at Andy (wormgutz) Small's for some black lug, cheers for getting up and making the directions to yours easy Andy :notworthy: the bonus fresh worm was much appreciated too :thumb:

We'd arranged to meet up with Steve (steveandlisa24) at Mariners, as I'd planned on giving it a go on the sandbank that's appeared below the flats and juts right out into the channel where the charter boats moor.
As Steve was running late (cos I said he might need waders, so he went out and bought some....that's dedication!), me and Kev decided on retiring to the Liverpool Marina Bar & Grill for a coffee...... :whistle:

well it was a Grill after all, it would have been rude not to... :spite:

We'd just polished it off when Steve rang saying he'd arrived at the bullnose, so we set off back sharpish and made our introductions. We were still undecided where to fish and even tossed a coin which won for the mariners side. Unfortunately the wind was barrelling down the Mersey from exactly the wrong direction and it would have made fishing there extremely uncomfortable at best, and as we'd not fished there before we made the decision to cross the river and fish on the Wirral side at the safer venue of the town hall steps.

Luckily Steve had a sat nav and before long we were parked up by the town hall and we got our first view of our venue

A short walk down the steps and out to the low water mark on good firm sand, looking back towards the town hall.......

Luckily the weather had brightened, with the showers disappearing in the stiff breeze which was now thankfully coming over our shoulder instead of into our mush. The view over the river was spectacular with the liver building prominent against the blue sky in the weak sunshine....

We were fishing virtually opposite the clock tower which is a renowned mark for the charter boats....

There were a few other anglers already fishing further down nearer the breakwater.......

Kev was first in with a larl codlet on fresh black and prawn cocktail

I was next in with a small but perfectly formed dab.......

The river was pretty busy as usual, with ferries and container ships pushing through the tide.

There was a blue charter boat anchored 300yd out from us all day, possibly the Osprey. They never moved until 2hrs into the flood later on in the afternoon so it raised hopes there were fish about.........

Kev pulled in another codlet of similar size to his other, and I followed suit with one of my own.........

I stuck to my guns and was launching out big worm baits on 4/0 pennels on an up and over rig.....

Steve was blanking and decided this was as good a time as any to test the waterproofing of his new waders! :lol:

We hoped that the start of the flood would see any fish out there come closer inshore and get on the feed, but this didn't materialise and though the hooks were getting stripped, crabs were the likely culprit. Or in Kev's case, STARFISH! He pulled one in every cast....he's deffo a starfish magnet for some reason!

An hour or so into the flood Kev landed his third codlet of the day.........

He finished off with the obligatory mersey skate :roll:

So on paper a poor day catch wise, but in reality a thoroughly enjoyable day fishing in great company and decent weather with a few fish thrown in for good measure. It was good to meet Steve and have a fish with him, the banter & craic was top class, he's definitely on mine & Kev's wavelength humour wise! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Strangely, we never caught a single whiting, just small codling and a solitary dab ???

Still a good day was had by all :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Low water Town hall Steps Mersey 9th Dec

Postby stevenlisa24 » 09 Dec 2012, 22:49

Its was a great day, cheers guys :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:gp:

till next time.
Take Care
Steve
There's no such thing as bad weather just a bad choice of clothing!

2013 Fish Count so far:
10 Flounder
5 Whiting
10 DAB
3 Rockling
2 Plaice
12 mackeral
http://stevenlisa24.wordpress.com/
Hardcore Addict

Postby Pugsie » 09 Dec 2012, 22:51

Brilliant report and pics rushy Shane no decent sized cod tho Still no blank and sounds like a good day owt cheers for report mate.
Captain Pugwash

Postby joiner8212 » 09 Dec 2012, 22:54

Good report and pictures pity you didn't get amongest the bigger ones
Hardcore Addict

Postby carpman » 09 Dec 2012, 23:04

What an great and interesting report :gp:
Hardcore Addict

Postby TerryG » 10 Dec 2012, 00:15

Great report and pictures Dave, :thumb: Shame the bigger fish didn't show for you :banghead: , Top effort though lads, :D :thumb: :gp: :gp:
Terry 9T's

Postby Kev P » 10 Dec 2012, 10:21

:gp: :gp: :gp: :gp:

the fishing might not have been at it's best but we had a good craic!

Species caught in 2019
I'm easy

Postby OldhamAndy » 10 Dec 2012, 13:11

Great report and pics, unlucky on the big ones, sure they will be along soon enough :gp:
Species2014:Whiting,Codling,Flounder,Dab
Hardcore Addict

Postby codnaper » 10 Dec 2012, 14:18

Good pics and report rushy :thumb: at least you got out and no blank is a bonus :clap: :champ:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Paul O » 10 Dec 2012, 21:36

great report and pictures rushy a few small coddling for u and kev shame about the blank ste theres allways next time mate,if the small coddling are about the bigger ones can't be far be hide
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports