It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:29

Imax FR match 'Plus' Beachcaster

Tried something new? Or had a product that has stood the test of time?? Why not write a review to help other with future purchases!!

Imax FR match 'Plus' Beachcaster

Postby Seaweed » 05 Apr 2016, 09:21

I've have now had these rods for a good few months now so i thought I'd do a to date report on these rods, I have been using a pair of these rods since beginning of Jan 2016, the first thing that struck me about the rods is the reel seat, it's a big bulky affair and unbalance's what is a light and slim blank, these I would suggest need replacing ASAP, even a pair of decent coasters would be preferable. The blank itself is a light, slim and fairly stiff and fairly fast actioned blank, the Pac Bay Minima guides complement the blank well, keeping the weight down to a minimum, some anglers have issues with the Minima guides but i'm not one of them ! I see them as a lightweight quality guide that's robust, doubts have been raised about grooving (with using braid) over a period of time but i have not seen any real concrete evidence to support this. Japanese shrink tube covers the butt and also on the spigot areas to aid grip when taking apart.
In use, the 4/7oz 'plus' models have a nice quick recovery when cast and handle 5oz and 6oz weights well, I would say it's more optimised to the 5 1/4 oz (150grm) and casts them as well as any rod I've used, the tip is a 'J' curve job, meaning it has a nice tip action, but not a sloppy action, it's quite stiffish tip but would'nt pull a lead out in a fast tide, the middle section and butt have a nice bit of usable power for the average angler (like myself ) to get to grips with a cast without the rod feeling poker stiff.
I would class the 'Plus' version of this model to be a bit of allrounder, capable of making long casts, fishing mixed ground with leads between 5/6oz, a very nice rod for Ray/Cod fishing over clean/mixed ground, casting wise, a good caster with good technique would get very good distances with this rod, but it's not going to threaten any casting records (it's not designed for that ! ) Overall I would say it's a good solid mid priced rod with decent performance and smart appearance, I would give it a 7 out of 10 points, deducting 3 points for the awful reel seat which would need replacing.
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Fishing Tackle Reviews