It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:31

First trip to otterspool

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

First trip to otterspool

Postby carpman » 11 Dec 2012, 13:31

Fished from low to 2 hours after high mon night it was going to be later but had a bit of an accident.Arrived at the brittania pub which was £5 to park all day and decided to have a large carvery with fishing till late .I think i was a bit greedy as my mate sat at another table as he was embarrassed at how much was on my plate and people were staring, i think i had too much gravy as i had terrible farts all day.So we set off towards the old jetty which i was advised to head for ,bit of a walk but it wasnt to bad and not as far as i thought .There was nobody fishing at all which was a surprise as i had heard it was a busy mark but i soon found out possibly why.The tide was 8.7 and our line were picking up weed and swinging right round even with 8oz leads and the weed was a nightmare to get off.Having travelled from blackpool i decided to make the most of it with regular recasting which was hard work with 2 rods and that weed thats like glue and a pig to get off.Eventually it paid off with a codling about 2 and a half which was my first bite after 4 hours.About an hour later i got a belting knock and instantly felt a much better fish it my rod was bent right over and it was banging like hell straight away then it snagged me ,luckily i got it free and just as my mate got ready with the drop net as it was near the surface the bloody hook pulled gutted i rued myself for rushing getting it in but i was worried about getting snagged up again.One thing i would add is i was snagged nearly every time i reeled in but only snapped once. I think it was muscle beds on the drop off as i brought a few in after being stuck.My mate blanked and i only had 1 other bite just after high which resulted in a whiting .The crabs were a nuisance as well we brought several in and bait was frequently stripped. Unfortunately my luck ran out with the farts and had no choice but to go home feeling very uncomfortable and had to jump in the shower. Now i have to explain to the misses where her favourite underpants have gone unless anybody knows where i can buy a pair with flasher printed on the front.
Attachments
IMAG0263.jpg
IMAG0263.jpg (397.37 KiB) Viewed 331 times
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0260.jpg (964.28 KiB) Viewed 331 times
IMAG0261.jpg
IMAG0261.jpg (901.45 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Last edited by carpman on 11 Dec 2012, 17:29, edited 3 times in total.
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: First trip to otterspool

Postby Jimmyjizzmo » 11 Dec 2012, 14:26

Unlucky mate :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
35lb straight through when the sheeeite is running like
that-its the only way-no leader knot to get snagged or
for it all to catch on,just re-tie trace after every cast
and slide the mess off :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Last edited by Jimmyjizzmo on 15 Dec 2012, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcore Addict

Postby carpman » 11 Dec 2012, 14:39

Thanks good idea that Only really fished off blackpool before so learnt a bit yesterday but will try that next time as the leader knot was the main problem.
Last edited by carpman on 11 Dec 2012, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcore Addict

Postby sawman » 11 Dec 2012, 16:28

:thumb: for that report mate. it made me :lol:i had same at jaghouse few years ago and i don't mean a lost fish. bad luck with the lost fish better luck next time :gp:
Hardcore Addict

Postby robo » 11 Dec 2012, 16:29

at the bottom of mersey road is a carpark and its free to park
Hardcore Addict

Postby Kev » 11 Dec 2012, 22:24

The weed is the prob on the Liverpool side...once the tides get over 27ft you will start to have trouble...still good fish about if you can hack the weed,and fishing close in helps too.
The Special One

Postby Rushy » 11 Dec 2012, 23:12

That's a pretty good result for a first trip to a new venue :clap: I'd be happy with that :thumb: plus it'll stand you in good stead for next time too :D

Great report and thanks for sharing :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby codnaper » 11 Dec 2012, 23:47

Jimmyjizzmo wrote:Unlucky mate :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
£5lb straight through when the sheeeite is running like

5lb straight through are you for real or what?
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rushy » 11 Dec 2012, 23:50

codnaper wrote:
Jimmyjizzmo wrote:Unlucky mate :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
£5lb straight through when the sheeeite is running like

5lb straight through are you for real or what?

Slip of the keyboard methinks, Ian means 35lb (the £ sign is on the same key as the 3) :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby rob f » 12 Dec 2012, 17:53

i fish otterspool a lot :fish: the tides are a bit strong this week your better of on a smaller tide .. the place i fish is .if you go to the car park just past the otterspool pub .... go onto the grass and head to the left you see a path that takes you onto the prom i fish near the steps there are some muscle beds there but you should be ok
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Next

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports