It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:04

catching live sandeel

Discussion board for any boating related items from Boat maintenance to fishing techniques for anglers afloat.

catching live sandeel

Postby billy bennett » 23 Dec 2010, 13:17

a thread is open on the donkers site ref live sandeel, i know not all AA members are not all on the donkers site,so i thought i would bring the disscussion to you.

we all know in summer you can have no finer bait than live sandeel for loads of different spiecies of fish not to mention Bass,but they are so hard to get hold of, have spoken to loads of tackle shop owners who don't stock them due to needing a licence to do so because they are not classed as a bait item but a livestock item and loads of conditions laid down make it un economic to install water tanks with airation, constant supplies of fresh sea water ,and the means of transporting them on a fishing trip and keeping them alive during this transport.
so we are left with little option but to catch our own. found this net for sail on e bay and am thinking of investing in one next year====

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-40-foot-Por-Seine-Net-Great-catching-Bait-/290511115979?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item43a3cfd6cb

the problem is A/ where around the fylde can you catch sandeels and B/ is there any rules or regulations on using a seine net off any of our beaches.
here is what it works like

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpLAot2b9_8[/youtube]

look forward to reading some of your views
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: catching live sandeel

Postby Paul » 23 Dec 2010, 17:04

Its easier with a shrimp trawl :whistle:

Ill PM you with the "where" answer.... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Solar powered fisherman

Postby billy bennett » 23 Dec 2010, 18:38

look forward to your pm but i do have some ideas of my own, how much is a shrimp trawl and where can you pick one up from?
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rushy » 23 Dec 2010, 22:25

You can get them in Morecambe Bay dragging a net, Paul (MrBay) has got a shrimp trawl complete with otter boards which we had a go with on my tub the other year.....here's an extract from the report

Fishing went predictably slow (apart from the bloody dabs!) as low water approached, so we decided it was time to have a bit of fun and we went off to a mark we'd earmarked for a drag with the shrimp net...........

There wasn't many shrimp about, but what did turn up proved to be VERY interesting........

Finding sandeel was doubly pleasing as we'd discussed where we thought we might find them and our respective hunches proved to be spot on!! They were a good size too, most around the 6" mark....... they kept alive all day in a bucket of water & should be deadly when the bass are here in numbers!!!

The baby squid were the most astonishing find Image I didn't even realise they existed in Morecambe Bay
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Re: catching live sand eel

Postby robo » 24 Dec 2010, 14:35

if you want to keep sand eels alive the easiest way i have found is this
get 2 x 5 gallon drums the type that will allow one to fit inside the other if only halfway, drill the inside one with loads of holes around 4 to 5 mm similar to a colander then all you do is fill the outer one with sea water place the colander one inside it then put in the sand eels ,every 20 minutes or so lift the colander one up and down 2 to 3 times let it drain into the outer drum this will aerate the water no need for a noisey pump and will keep eels alive all day
Hardcore Addict

catching live sandeel

Postby Pugsie » 16 Dec 2012, 19:59

Cought my first ever bass doin this catching live Sandeel in walney channel then bassing of south walney:0) brilliant day sparky got his first two both over 3lb mark.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Padsta Tel » 16 Dec 2012, 22:43

You could make a few quid selling live eels pugs might give it a go myself next year :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby Gazza D » 17 Dec 2012, 22:49

Thats the bigger version of mine Billy ......you may need to mod it a tad......I shortened the bottom rope and put a fine bath plug type chain on to work the bottom more.......Had a good few sandeel with it from Ravenglass .....but will not be using it again ???????? the reason why is that on my way on the Quad the eels were just popping out the sand with the vibration don't know why they did it but got a load and left loads as well ......A few weeks later just went to the bar on the quad with a bucket and filled it in no time at all....Top Method......
turbot king

Postby Padsta Tel » 17 Dec 2012, 22:54

A great method Gaz but a nets cheaper than a qua :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: d
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby Mike T » 17 Dec 2012, 23:23

well when i caught my cod at 5 bar i gutted it straight away and in the stomach was 4 still alive very much still alive sandeel paul o as my witness so they can't be to far away from low water mark at 5 bar gate
2014, species, codling, whiting, dab, blenny, flounder, bass 41cm, thornback ray on lrf tackle in morecambe bay off the shore. smoothound in heysham. plaice 2lb 1oz nasty weaver.
King of the North Wall

Return to Boat Fishing Information