It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:52

Angling Antiques v Kiddies..

General Coarse fishing and Carp forum.

Angling Antiques v Kiddies..

Postby sharpey » 30 Oct 2016, 10:48

Monthly coarse meet this month took on a different look. After the September meet and seeing a post locally regarding a successful angling clubs season, I threw a challenge to Jammygit's George and Dragon Angling Club for a match at Clear Water on their developing match pond. Gauntlet thrown down and duly accepted, we met up yesterday to fish Last Blast. This is to be the fisheries match pond in the future, and holds carp to low double figures, tench, bream, big roach, perch, catfish and Rudd and golden Rudd. It also holds a rare specimen known as the Tommy Ruffe which is extremely hard to catch, and only top anglers can nail 'em. (???!!!)
Due to it being half term the oppositions squad was reduced to the extremes that Matty was deemed a child, ( dental confirmation to be established...) and another guest adult fished to make up the numbers. Draw completed at 9, and the two young G&D superstars pick pegs 1&2 on the south bank which, from experience (and a little practice..) were the hot pegs. Baz and I had some good fish from them some weeks back. As the pegs had been set out earlier, several good carp had congregated opposite these pegs too, so to my mind, it looked good for the kids...
I got peg 4 alongside Tracey, and Russ had the next along in the corner by the reedy area. Opposite him Baz, and Budders completing a sort of "half-moon" of Antiques... Colin, the G&D guest completed the numbers...Matty fished alongside Luke to be in a position to assist if needs be.
I got off to a flyer. We started at 9.40 as we were all ready, and I had two fish in the net by 9.45..!! In fact if the match had ended then I would have won...!!! But 5 minutes is just a little short for a competition, so I dreamed on...
Soon most were catching, but it was mainly bits.. small roach, Rudd, golden Rudd and I believe a tiny carp went to Baz's net but nothing of size at all. The weather was good, quite warm, overcast, little wind, so where were the many bream,carp,tench and good roach which I know have been put in here over recent weeks..??
One or two were fishing the feeder in the hope of a lump which would take the honours, but wasn't to be. Young Luke lost a decent fish, and Colin opposite me pulled out of something that put a good bend in his rod...although a similarly good bend resulted in a big eel for him...and it was a big eel.....
Best tactic appeared to be the pole, fishing accurately to the feed and maggot on the hook. Budders and Colin were catching steadily on the waggler opposite, so nets were filling but only, as I said, with bits. Russ was getting mildly frustrated at Baz regularly chucking fish in his keep net opposite him...A few variations were tried but nothing seemed to induce any interest from bigger fish. However, mid morning the feeding began in earnest..
Could have been a G&D ploy I felt, situating the BBQ right behind our pegs to distract us..?? But big thanks to Sue(?) for providing some grub filled butties which were both welcome and warming as a steady drizzle had started and temperatures dipped a little. So, duly stuffed after a couple of buns, for us on the south side of the pond the fishing died off completely. The excuse book was out; time of the month, sorry, season, frost on Monday, new fish not settled, wrong bait, Tracey coughing all day, there were many to choose from... Don't think I had a bite in the last hour and a half on single maggot on a 16...
But fish were still being caught on the far bank, which I learned later was perhaps a bit deeper than our side..?? Whatever, at 2pm we called all in, and Leon from the fishery came down to help with the weigh in. The best weights did come from the north side of the pond as the day dictated, and Baz went top with 3lb 8oz..?? Colin and Budders weren't far behind him, and with the bits we put together on our side, the Angling Antiques took the trophy. This being the Sharpey Trophy which will be held by us till the next match which may well be a flatty bash locally giving the G&D a chance of revenge. All packed up, the paparazzi gathered for a few pics..
To the winner the spoils...
Well, a Tommy Ruffe......great angling....!!
Big thanks to all who came out to play, to the G&D for the butties, and Clear Water for running the match and providing the prizes of a free day's fishing for the winning Antique and Kiddie ( Baz and Harry) with a breakfast butty thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Angling Antiques v Kiddies..

Postby sharpey » 30 Oct 2016, 11:09

Nearly forgot Harry....well fished mate...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby skatenchips » 30 Oct 2016, 12:55

superb well run event that encourages the young anglers to pursue the sport we all love.

excellent post..... :thumb:

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby Slanester » 30 Oct 2016, 14:24

Glad to see you fellas made 250 yrs of experience count. :lol: Well done to the juniors,next year you will be favourites :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Shane ousby » 30 Oct 2016, 18:36

We'll done fellas Young and Old :thumb: :thumb: :gp:
Tommorow is promised to no one...we plan...GOD laughs.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Jimsta » 31 Oct 2016, 21:41

Well done to all ,looked a good day for you all involved :yeah2: :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 01 Nov 2016, 19:46

What a cracking day had by all :clap: Great to see the youngsters involved :thumb: Munchies all round & Sharpey catches the specimen Ruffe. well done all, Super report :cheer: :gp:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Return to Coarse and Carp