It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:20

1st Day Using New Plugging/Jigging Rig!

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

1st Day Using New Plugging/Jigging Rig!

Postby Scuba Chris » 22 Mar 2024, 00:17

It Was POURING But I Went Anyway To Test My New Rig Out! I had my eye on this rod for awhile. A 9'9" SST 1/2-3oz H spinning model. When it arrived i was a bit disappointed as stock pics of a regular SST were used instead of depicting the real rod. I actually wanted a 10ft spin casting rod with a rating of 1/2-2oz.

So as expected i did find this rod a but stiffer but it was still ok. What i wasn't expecting was small Zirconium guides. What one would expect for braid. So to make this work i used 15lb mono which was ok as it was rated for mono to braid usage. If i went braid i was thinking of using 25lb or 30lb. I wanted and needed a medium plugging/jigging rig. So i'll try my best to make this work. The rain stopped long enough for me to spot the typical feeding action of a Pao'pao (Golden Trevally). I saw a large tail going 90° so i knew it was digging up crabs from the bottom. I casted around it but it wasn't interested in my Stickbait. So i threw my 3rd cast out 20ft outside of it & when the lure hit the water something big made a huge splash & took off with my lure. Then that whiplash "pwack" ricochet loudly & it snapped the mono at the knot for my swivel. I checked my drag & it was slightly on the tight side but was ok for most heavier strikes.

And it was new line that i just purchased. I'm thinking these fish normally have mates so it could've been a much larger mate that struck. The line had no chaffs, just a badly stretched pulled-out knot. Well, what remains of it. If i screwed-up i'd accept that but just not sure what i did wrong? I've done this before and landed bigger fish doing it. I'm sure the new reel didn't get stuck. Normally i use heavy braid & not mono. Might have to go back to that. By then it started pouring again so that was my queue to go home and mend my pride. Was hoping to break in my new acquisition & to get a few pics before releasing it back.

I started this a month ago. Since then Kil Song has sent me a rod to try out. So since i broke my toe i only tried it once, will start playing "catch-up".

https://youtu.be/0GxSwrIom4M
Attachments
Cover- 1st Day Using New.jpg
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Tackle Talk