It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:43

Yellotailed kingfish

Forum for All reports and information for fishing outside of the UK. Fishing holidays and overseas angling trips.

Yellotailed kingfish

Postby sydneyfish » 04 Nov 2017, 12:08

003.JPG
This is my first effort so please take it easy on this old colonial boy.
The temperature around Sydney reefs is beginning to rise and along with it the prospects of getting into one of the best fighting fish pound for pound around these parts. Motored out Wednesday morning. First stop actually five or six to catch the number one bait live squid around the 6 to 9 inch size. Caught these with Yozuri squid jigs, bright pink working well this time, also a few nice yellow tail as backups. Motored out to the peak and dropped the baits. Twenty minutes later my first hook up all of 20 seconds reefed and dusted, things looking good with a few on the sounder. Sent down another squid which was smashed on the drop a few minutes later a nice 5kg Kingfish boated and released. Dropped a yellowtail down with a 7 O hook through the tail. This was set on a runner and an 8 ounce weight attached with a 4kg leader to break away in case of a snag in 95mtrs of water. Sure enough was on again this one pulling a solid 5kg of drag and feeling good. Gained a little line and lost a little then one long hard run a few shakes and thought for a second I would get this one but lost again this time to a shark unseen, but it left me the head and shoulders (would have gone 15kg). Things went quiet after that and I returned to the boat ramp. Not a bad day all in all. Kept a couple of squid for dinner. Very good when this fresh. Tight lines. No pics haven't worked that out yet but some to come when I work it out.
My mate Geoff(another pom)got this King at the peak on a yakka(yellowtail)
Attachments
20160428_121708.jpeg
20160428_121708.jpeg (222.52 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Last edited by sydneyfish on 05 Nov 2017, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Yellotailed kingfish

Postby sharpey » 04 Nov 2017, 16:55

Well done on your first report mate, very interesting read. Had a couple of try’s while down visiting the family in WA, but nothing like these fish. Thanks for sharing, keep ‘em coming..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby shacky » 09 Nov 2017, 21:54

Hello and welcome to the forum. It’s not often we get reports from down-under. The most I hear about is from my Sis in Adelaide. And Rex Hunt on tv :lol:
Cracking fish there :thumb: That fish head is bigger than what we catch here (usually).
Keep the reports flowing :thumb: appreciate it :clap:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby starfish » 10 Nov 2017, 00:12

bet that fish head is just bait :lol:
well done lovely fish :thumb:
starfish sea fishing. You tube.
Hardcore Addict

Postby sydneyfish » 10 Nov 2017, 11:32

Thanks for the replies, Going up on the barrier reef in December for 6 nights on a charter hope to get some Spanish, Coral trout and GTs. Will post after the trip. May get one session in before then. Thanks again. :fishing: :speed:
Trainee Addict

Postby Gewdraa » 23 Dec 2017, 15:34

Nice.
Be down next year.
Chris
Trainee Addict

Return to International Fishing Forum