It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:45

Winter Plugging ?

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

Winter Plugging ?

Postby scarboro » 12 Dec 2011, 20:33

You may think what a nutter, but i have been searching and found quite a bit of info with regards to winter plugging.
Up here we have had a shortage of northerlys and the water has been gin clear as well as being flat n calm at times. One of our gang very recently had the usual cod, coalie, whiting but also had a couple of 2lb bass (on bait).
We usually beachcast on a falling tide till we get to our usual big gulley with a short 35 - 40 yd cast, and some decent fish come out of here. I have read that Bass have been caught in winter months elsewhere on the warmer south coast and gutting revealed small whiting inside them ! so why not have a plug ?
I know the water temp factor amongst other issues have to be considered, but with the lack of winds and swell i think it could be worth a go ?

Anyone tried ?
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Winter Plugging ?

Postby Rushy » 12 Dec 2011, 20:41

Usually this time of year is when you'll catch a big old girl, they're in chasing the pin whiting. Unfortunately, they're normally caught on fish baits meant for other species ie whiting/cod. I have tried plugging for bass right into late November trying to snare a biggie but they seem to thin out up these parts and I've never really caught after late Oct ??? that's not to say it won't happen, but I usually lose heart, plus it's cold wet & miserable and the nights draw in which makes it more difficult. Plus I get cod goggles on! :lol:

Still worth a try though :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby liphook » 13 Dec 2011, 03:48

Fortune favours the brave mate so go for it. Fishing the Ribble and Solway estuaries means that I rarely if ever get to fish clear water from the shore so I might come over that way for a winter lure lesson from you if you get it mastered - I'll be looking out for reports of monsters! Good luck
Hardcore Addict

Postby scarboro » 13 Dec 2011, 20:42

Thanks for the replies, will wait for these winds to die down a bit and will give it ago.
Am a little tide restricted due to work hours but will try water up / down etc as time allows.
Best regards
Trainee Addict

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging