It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Who let the blummin dogs out ?

Northwales - All shore sea fishing catch reports from North Wales covering Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd and Wrexham.

Who let the blummin dogs out ?

Postby BigBadCol » 07 May 2017, 23:18

Cable Bay 6th May 2017
Well it’s that time again where I have a few days off in my shift pattern so I gave my fishing buddy Dave a ring mid week to see if he fancied getting a session on the beach in. Obviously yes was his reply and he was talking of Fleetwood for the hounds. However having not seen or heard much I persuaded him that a trip to Anglesey would maybe our better option. With the wind in the East (fish bite the least) Wales or West was our only option of getting a wee session in. I managed to convince Dave that because we’ve not fished Cable Bay for over 2 years it maybe our best shot of bagging our first rays of the season. A quick trip to ABC for some bait, and on to Cable Bay. I was planning on flying the drone to the point to see if it was free, however the 11mph predicted wind was more like 30mph so we went old school & walked. A quick recce and we could see anglers all down the side and a few on the end (I’ve never seen it so busy here) There was room for us so a quick wonder back for our gear and we were set up & fishing by 1130hrs. With high tide being @ 1420hrs we’d fish it down n up until we got bored.

I was first in, on my 1st cast with a blank saving doggie.

With our spirits lifted (a bit) we carried on in the hope that if we stick around long enough then maybe the Huss & Rays will put in an appearance. I had checked my fishing diaries and we or rather I’ve had plenty of these fish here over the years at this time of year. I continued to pull in the odd doggie and Dave was still blanking at 1600hrs (well apart from a spider crab). I think the score was 5-0 to me when we both saw Daves rod nod and sure enough he managed a blank saving doggie.

That was it for Dave unfortunately, I went on to catch another 2 making the final tally 7-1 to me. As you can see from this picture the water was crystal clear. We called it a day at 1800hrs having had a good day chilling on the rocks. No our target wasn’t achieved but it’s just nice to get out and chill without having to worry about anything but your rod tip nodding & what bait shall I use next.

Rigs, I stuck with my trusty single hook fixed pats & Dave used a pulley all day. We did try for minis but we didn’t have a sniff. Bait was sand eel, squid & Mackerel.
Here's a short video of the day, you can see here how clear the water was.

https://youtu.be/tebTGPafPz0

Thanks for reading & watching

Big Col
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Who let the blummin dogs out ?

Postby skatenchips » 08 May 2017, 09:05

tuff day on the rox then col,looks a nice mark too....

enjoyed the fly by vid...powerful bit of music too who is that.....??

oh and nuffin to report on the stinger front down here yet mate,been speaking to the usual suspects that chase the early season rays but nada so far.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby BigBadCol » 11 May 2017, 22:28

Cheers Gazza, I'm off at beginning of June next.
Hardcore Addict

Postby billbob » 12 May 2017, 13:45

At least you got out. I have never done very well off those rocks. The good news is that the mackerel have arrived so fresh bait is not going to be a problem.
2022 Species, Flounder, Plaice, Dab,
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 12 May 2017, 16:03

East winds and clear water are a poor combination for angling so you did well to catch at all in my book :thumb: Nice day to carch some sunshine :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby BigBadCol » 14 May 2017, 09:18

Thanks for the kind replies guys. Yeah as the poem goes 'wind in the East fish bite the least'
Hardcore Addict

Postby abbo » 14 May 2017, 21:42

Great photos and beautiful conditions well done
Hardcore Addict

Return to North Wales Sea Fishing Reports