It is currently 12 Aug 2020, 19:18

Whats everyone doing

You can talk about any topic here.
*WARNING* some threads may contain discussion only suitable for adults.
Please bear in mind our viewers come from diverse backgrounds. Any racist comments will be met with a zero tolerance policy.

Whats everyone doing

Postby Willpower » 01 Apr 2020, 09:19

Myself, I've finished all decorating for this year. Weeded the garden borders and now I'll check them once a week. Mowed the moss a couple of times. Cleaned and inspected all my rods. Serviced all my reels inc greasing the drag washers and changing lines. Bought myself a balsa model plane at Christmas, so slowly building that. Just trying to stay safe and accepting the seriousness of the situation. One thing on my 'to do' list for this year, was to try to master a pendulum cast, but space limitations may mean I'll put it off for another year. PS If any member would be willing to give me a pendulum casting lesson when this virus is all over, I'd love to here from you. Last time I tried, I ended up with a massive reel blow up - twice :banghead:
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Whats everyone doing

Postby pros » 01 Apr 2020, 10:47

We are isolating in the caravan behind my sons property. Fortunately there is a bit of space (about 60 yds) so I have decided to try to pendulum cast.

So far I am just trying to work out what gear to use. I first tried a 1 oz. wt. but this could go too far so I tied in a duster to the trace but then it would only go 10 yds. and I could not feel the swing making the rod work. I think I have settled on 4 oz.plus the duster.

Watch this space.
Hardcore Addict

Postby flearider » 01 Apr 2020, 12:05

pros wrote:We are isolating in the caravan behind my sons property. Fortunately there is a bit of space (about 60 yds) so I have decided to try to pendulum cast.

So far I am just trying to work out what gear to use. I first tried a 1 oz. wt. but this could go too far so I tied in a duster to the trace but then it would only go 10 yds. and I could not feel the swing making the rod work. I think I have settled on 4 oz.plus the duster.

Watch this space.

60 yrds .. don't do it ..
something will get broken ..
best thing to do with no space is build up muscle memory ..
use just the butt of the rod and go thru the motions ..
What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)
To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 01 Apr 2020, 12:07

If it is SAFE to do so and...
...you guys are learning to pendulum cast, watch a few videos on YouTube to get an idea of the technique. Then make a hole through a tennis ball, secure in to your line. Use you reel engaged BUT! Set your drag to give it enough slip so there is resistance for the ball to go a short distance. Swing to you hearts content. Plus you won’t be putting a lead weight through your neighbours window!
Do remember, that getting your timing and technique right is the key to success, Not just whacking it.

I have been told this by an ex-casting instructor :thumb:

My pendulum casting was hopeless. But did learn OTG. Which you could also practice.
Good luck guys :fishing: I’ll pre-warn Douglas harbour your leads are on their way ;) :thumb:
<º))2020))><..Flounder, Whiting, Dab, Plaice, Common Smoothound, Starry Smoothound, Lesser Weaver, Dover Sole, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Brill, Bass..<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby Willpower » 01 Apr 2020, 12:44

The only way my lead will get to Douglas harbour is if I take it and put on the ferry at this end. :D
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 01 Apr 2020, 12:49

Willpower wrote:The only way my lead will get to Douglas harbour is if I take it and put on the ferry at this end. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :thumb:
<º))2020))><..Flounder, Whiting, Dab, Plaice, Common Smoothound, Starry Smoothound, Lesser Weaver, Dover Sole, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Brill, Bass..<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby Paul R » 01 Apr 2020, 13:08

When the wife gets in from the hospital around 7am, I am self isolating doing a rental up.run out of white emulsion :banghead:
Attachments
20200401_100755.jpg
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 01 Apr 2020, 13:20

When everything back to normal mike . I give you a few pendulum casting lessons on the gynn. If no one else has offered:thumb: I did the garden cleaned out the shed , cleaned rods and reels made some rigs and weights . no doubt the wife will find me something to do :banghead:
Last edited by rob f on 01 Apr 2020, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
2020 SPECIES HUNT
Whiting. Thornback ray. Cod. Dab. Dogfish. Tope. Mackerel. Starry hound. Weaver. common hound. Tub gurnard. Flounder. Poor cod. Dover sole. Shanny.
mersey maestro

Postby Willpower » 01 Apr 2020, 14:06

Cheers Rob, I'll take you up on that.
Hardcore Addict

Postby pros » 01 Apr 2020, 16:59

Thanks for the input guys.
I will struggle to get my lead to Douglas as I am on the east coast at the moment.

I should have said that at the end of the 60 yds are open fields but I also agree with the muscle memory point and will spend quite a lot of time just practising the swing.

I had planned to use a fixed spool reel but like the idea of the tennis ball and using a multi.
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to Banter Boardroom