It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:21

West Bay Bank Holiday Weekend

South coast sea fishing forum - Covering Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset - Weymouth Bournemouth Portsmouth Brighton Southampton

West Bay Bank Holiday Weekend

Postby Black Rat » 25 May 2016, 15:29

I am off with the family to West Bay, Dorset for the bank holiday weekend as the wife wants to go to the River Cottage Food Festival. I have permission to go fishing when the kids are in bed, so that will be a late night or very early morning session.

Just wondering in any of you boys have ever fished the area and what advice you can give.
2016 Species caught: codling, whiting, flounder
Almost an Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: West Bay Bank Holiday Weekend

Postby pollocks » 25 May 2016, 17:01

Good fishing off the two pier's or from the beach to the left. There used to be a cracking angling / boating shop in the village that sold plenty of good bait (fresh Rag etc).
Lyme Regis is close enough to have a go where again you can fish off one of the two breakwater's .
And of course your not far from the one & only Chesil Beach ( nowhere better in my opinion ).
But wherever you choose you can bet it will be better than The North Wall !
Almost an Addict

Postby Black Rat » 26 May 2016, 08:50

Thanks for the info Pollocks. I have never fished the Mecca that is the north wall as I am based in Cheltenham. I have the luxury of fishing the mud of the Bristol channel around Clevedon and Weston-s-mare.
2016 Species caught: codling, whiting, flounder
Almost an Addict

Postby skatenchips » 01 Jun 2016, 16:42

sorry black rat I missed your post..............

for future reference if your down that end of chesil beach I would head to Eype its about 3 miles west of west bay .........

once your at the bottom of the windy road you park in the free car park on the cliff top ,,,its gratuity only ...so I bung in some loose change ......walk down the stair case ....to the pebble beach

in front or left is clean to mixed ground.....earlymorning sees bass or mack/scad
night time brings rays and dogs

walk 200 yds right and your on mixed to ruff ground.....take some spare rigs....big squid or bluey baits or sandeel can see Huss or dogs or conger or some big bass....stout rods and some serious cranking are called for .....

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/S ... rset/Eype/

this link says it all mate

oh and I still enjoy the odd journey across from dorset to the severn ..generally 7 bridge or portishead slip way after winter coddies or thornies...but if you know any other thorny marks that don't involve a long hike and are fishing let me know as maybe we can meet up for a session.

regards

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Return to South Coast Sea Fishing Reports