It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:22

Turbo hunting

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Turbo hunting

Postby Spook » 23 Apr 2015, 09:51

Well after the reports of netter catching big Turbot & me seeing loads of Turbot marks in the sand Me and Mo decided to try for 1 out from the carpark where we have the casting meets. Long flowing traces and 3/0 hooks with a mixture of Sandeel,Bluey Squid cast out into the gulleys. Was a warmish night with little to no wind, the sea was like glass. Rattles from the off with big flounders eating whole sandeel. Then Mo got something a bit better but it dropped off 10ft from our feet. As a large gully was filling in behind us i had to reel in a bit sharpish, hmm something funny here loads of weight on and some movement, but with the tide racing in i had to try and reel like a madman and lost whatever it was. Got off the beach at midnight without a Turbot but had a good night. I think Mo was ready for dropping as he had been out fishing Morecambe since 4am . I will get one next time.
Fat Mole

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Turbo hunting

Postby liphook » 23 Apr 2015, 11:59

Good effort Spook :thumb: Elusive buggers those turbot! I'm told their marks have been seen at south shore towards St Annes pier. Where are you fishing?
Hardcore Addict

Postby grandadruss » 23 Apr 2015, 12:29

Unlucky Lee,still better to beat the tide and be safe. :thumb:
What's a Turbot mark?
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby Spook » 23 Apr 2015, 14:32

If it's a calm sea, when the tide goes out you can see where the fish were lying in the sand. I took this 1 last week.....

They were everywhere.
Fat Mole

Postby Sir Humphrey Rtd » 23 Apr 2015, 18:50

One of my brothers used to shrimp for a living at Blackpool and used to pick the odd one up in his nets, caught in about 4' of water at low tide, there again he was dragging 30' of mnets behind a tractor.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rapunzel59 » 24 Apr 2015, 01:49

Down here in the Solent long snood, light rolling lead, 3/0, 15-30 yds, mackerel, the hour between sunset and darkness or sunrise and daylight. (when the sandeels go to sleep and wake up).
Trainee Addict

Postby Slanester » 24 Apr 2015, 08:18

Very new to sea fishing,but that pic showing the outline is fantastic. (Can't see 1st of April on pic) So well spotted and good luck in your quest,look forward to the report.
Hardcore Addict

Postby grandadruss » 24 Apr 2015, 10:09

Slanester wrote:Very new to sea fishing,but that pic showing the outline is fantastic.

Exactly what I was going to post Sean. :D
I'd heard of turbot but to be honest didn't know what one looked like.
Just googled em...
Some big uns :o
Cheers for the pic Lee :thumb:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby Willpower » 24 Apr 2015, 10:53

Turbot have visited St. Annes beaches for many years now. Don't know what the attraction is but there has been some very large impressions left to be seen in the sand on the ebb. Until I know for sure what the reason is for their annual visit is (between Feb - May), I won't try to hook one up as they may be spawning.
Hardcore Addict

Postby codless » 24 Apr 2015, 11:08

John Pie is your Turbot man here in Blackpool before his accident he caught them regularly at South Shore and if I remember correctly he fished 10 yards out in very shallow water. I am sure when he sees this post he will put up a report and share his catching secrets with us because he has had some HUGE fish over the years
Tight lines Billy
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports