It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:23

Tropical advice

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

Tropical advice

Postby Ruthinite » 11 Mar 2019, 16:31

Hello all,

I'm lucky enough to be going to Mauritius soon (my daughter lives there so we're not doing the hotel bit) and so I've bought myself a Penn 10' travel spinner as it coincides with my 65th and need a reel to go with it and advice on line breaking strain, lures to use (from the beach/rocks etc.) and set up. I expect it'll be over reefs so probably sharp coral, I have no Idea really.

I can't afford to hire a boat so it's beach or nothing for me. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Tropical advice

Postby Rushy » 11 Mar 2019, 21:07

Ruthinite wrote:Hello all,

I'm lucky enough to be going to Mauritius soon (my daughter lives there so we're not doing the hotel bit) and so I've bought myself a Penn 10' travel spinner as it coincides with my 65th and need a reel to go with it and advice on line breaking strain, lures to use (from the beach/rocks etc.) and set up. I expect it'll be over reefs so probably sharp coral, I have no Idea really.

I can't afford to hire a boat so it's beach or nothing for me. Any advice would be gratefully received.

You can't go wrong with a Shimano 4000 size reel, and seeing as it's just for a holiday there's no need to go top end spec & break the bank. This should do you nicely

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-sienna-4000-fe-id_8371737.html

It's their budget reel but is still well made and performs great. I'd load it up 50lb braid, sounds like overkill but it's nice & fine for the breaking strain. You could put a fluorocarbon leader on if you're worried about rocks snagging the braid but personally I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd take a selction of soft rubber shads, they come in a variety of colours and are good value for money. You won't break the bank if you lose a few either!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/STORM-Wildeye-Swim-Baits-Shad-04-4-25-Gram/606233181

Good luck and post a report when you get back! :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby abbo » 15 Mar 2019, 14:47

I've just come back from Mexico. I used a Daiwa Calida 3000a. It was enough for the small lures I used and light enough for travel.

Just purchased the Penn Slammer 3, 3500 for future trips as it resists salt water better.

Good luck
Hardcore Addict

Postby Ruthinite » 19 Mar 2019, 14:10

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep you informed about the trip.
Trainee Addict

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging