It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:45

Trailer wiring

Discussion board for any boating related items from Boat maintenance to fishing techniques for anglers afloat.

Trailer wiring

Postby wet dream » 09 Sep 2012, 13:21

Hi all

I would like to pre wire my trailer so the main wiring to my trailer board is permanently fixed to the trailer.

Is this a good idea due to it getting submerged in salt water

If so can anyone point me in the right direction to a water proof disconnection coupling to but at back of trailer

Thanks

John
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Trailer wiring

Postby smokin » 09 Sep 2012, 21:17

is this so you can disconnect the board at the rear of the trailer instead of the front??

saltwater + electrics = big can of worms mate

personally would avoid it - from someone who has done towbar electrics for a living

if you do decide to keep it on permanently then id say just silicone everything - all the connections inside the lights, the seals round the lights and the cable entry points - it may work for a while but might have to replace the lot anually (not too expensive)

hth

chris
Sh1t Happens

Postby Granvillen » 11 Sep 2012, 13:24

Don't go there it will only bring trouble in the future.
Hardcore Addict

Postby wet dream » 11 Sep 2012, 21:29

smokin wrote:is this so you can disconnect the board at the rear of the trailer instead of the front??

personally would avoid it - from someone who has done towbar electrics for a living

if you do decide to keep it on permanently then id say just silicone everything - all the connections inside the lights, the seals round the lights and the cable entry points - it may work for a while but might have to replace the lot anually (not too expensive)

hth

chris

Hi chris

Thanks for your response. Not sure if I exsplained myself properly. I am thinking of fixing the wiring to the trailer leaving the plug at the front and a new waterproof plug at the rear. So that then I get there I just unplug the rear plug and remove the lighting board prior to launching boat
Trainee Addict

Postby smokin » 15 Sep 2012, 14:10

wet dream wrote:
smokin wrote:is this so you can disconnect the board at the rear of the trailer instead of the front??

hth

chris

Hi chris

Thanks for your response. Not sure if I exsplained myself properly. I am thinking of fixing the wiring to the trailer leaving the plug at the front and a new waterproof plug at the rear. So that then I get there I just unplug the rear plug and remove the lighting board prior to launching boat

yeah - i said that in the first line of my reply - you can get ip67 or above rated sockets which have screw on covers for the pins/holes to protect them - they are for industrial use ill see if i can find you a link
Sh1t Happens

Return to Boat Fishing Information