It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:54

The great MADSAC Easter blanking session

Northwales - All shore sea fishing catch reports from North Wales covering Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd and Wrexham.

The great MADSAC Easter blanking session

Postby BigBadCol » 22 Apr 2014, 23:45

Due to me shifts I was destined to avoid the now famous Easter blank, however due to being up hours my Sunday night shift was cancelled so I reluctantly said I'd pick Dave up Monday morning n we'd be meeting Andy and Dave Blake at ABC around 0900hrs.

The plan was to head for Cable bay and fish the right hand side if there was no one there. We arrived to a more or less empty car park so signs were good. Having been ridiculed on our previous Angelsey trip Dave 'onion boy' Bateman was dressed and off to the mark before I'd even got me boots on (so I apologise for all those waiting for 'Onion boy 2, the 7th layer'' ) There will be other times to capture him.
A view from the car park.
I was last to leave the car but it's only a short walk and after finding tights knickers and an empty condom packet I was beginning to wonder what type of fishing trip this was going to turn out to be.
There was loads of room on the mark and we were all set up and fishing by 1000hrs.

Dave B & Andy looking from above.

It wasn't long before I winkled out a fish and the MADSAC Easter blank had been avoided, well for me anyways

A welcome blank saving codlet
Here's Blakey winding his 1 and only fish a dog fish.

I then had a stonking bite and wound into an ok fish, as it came through the water it looked like a bass but disaster struck and it spat the hook just as I was winching it up the ramp. I threw my rod down and ran to get my fish, then lots of things happened all in the blink of an eye, I had realised :
1 I'm moving too fast
2 it's very slippy
3 The sea is rather close now
4 oh sh1te how do I stop
5 oh dear how AM I going to stop
6 jump on the fish
7 fall cut leg, cut hand
8 catchy he coalie
9 a big wave hit me
10 shite my phone
11 I'm wet
12 I've a nice coalie
13 get up I'm wet and I hurt
14 still smiling
15 Image

Took the scales to 1lb 3oz but by heck was I in pain.

Myself and onion boy then had a steady run of fish with me just edging it by 1. I then had another bite, a nice heavy lump I thought while winding in to be treated with this.

For some reason Andy and Blaky were losing gear left right n centre, also Dave lost a bit but I seemed to be doing ok.
Onion boy looking for something

The lesser spotted MADSAC blanker.

At around 1500hrs I think, maybe later the part timers called it a day. To be fair with only 1 fish between em and about 3lb of lead on sea bottom I think in their shoes I might have done the same.

Just before the left I moved to a higher ledge and fished into the bay as well as out front, I was rewarded with a mackerel which went straight in my cool bag for later.

At around 1700hrs I noticed a nice pull down on one of my rods which didn't look like a doggie bite. I tighten in to it but felt nowt on as my lead moved so I left it. About 10mins later the same thing happened, I wound down and this time felt a nice fish, I shouted to Dave I think it's 2 dogs but really it felt nothing like. As the fish came closer I knew it wasn't a doggie or two doggies but a very nice fish. I tried to land it up the ramp of rocks however he fish which was now identified as a nice looking Huss had other ideas and went away from the ramp and I couldn't lift it up, Dave managed to get the trace however I don't know what went wrong but he fish came off and I can honestly say I've never felt more gutted, Dave said it was a nice fish and gave be 7lb (but it was prolly bigger his words not mine) I also wanted to hurt Dave so stayed up on my ledge until I'd calmed down. Not his fault I know but it didn't soften the blow from Almost catching my 1st Huss from either boat or shore. After calming down I made my way to Dave and bloody fell again, only this time I thought I'd really hurt myself n lay there until I was sure nowt was broke. Heart broken because that was the last of the fresh maccie I'd gone to try sand eel. Dave then pulled is little bugger in.

Something had a go, prolly my Huss lol.

We fished on until 2200hrs and it ended up a draw totals were

col
Cod 2
Coalie 1 1lb 3oz
Maccie 1
Dog 1
Huss 7lb
Ting 3
Dab 1
Dave
Dog 7
Cod 2
Ting1
Blakey
Dog 1
Andy blank

So the great MADSAC Easter blanking session ended in not a blank.
Although I'm cut bruised and sick as a dog over almost catching a Huss.

Still it was a great day with great company

Col

PS on a more serious note the amount of rubbish on this mark was disgusting we took almost 4 bags of rubbish off with us, that wasn't ours. What is it with people and their rubbish ?? You can carry it there full and heavy but you can't be arsed taking he empty packets back to the 3 bins in the car park, I can only assume it's "proper anglers" cos they'd left empty home made rig bags with what was in em wrote on the bags, there was line, hooks all sorts. :banghead:
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: The great MADSAC Easter blanking session

Postby sharpey » 23 Apr 2014, 07:17

Great day out for you mate..?? Is there an A & E near where you fish..?? You sound more accident prone than me..!!! Hard luck on the Huss, would have made a good day better... Variety for you though eh..?? Well done !!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby Blanko » 23 Apr 2014, 07:23

:gp: :gp: :gp: Cracking post mate,eventful day out :lmao: :lmao: Thankfully nothing broken eh,some good fish there and catching the sun too - still I bet the water was flaming cold !
2015 total : 26 sessions 188 fish
Species : Whiting,Codling,Dab,Flounder,Plaice,Dogfish,Bass,Eel,
King Of the Plaice
King Of the Plaice

Postby dabcatcher » 23 Apr 2014, 08:51

great day out Col.

you should have whipped the tail end of that codling back on and cast it straight back out.

if your catching small codling or whiting in north wales the huss will be feeding on them.

at times you'll catch a lot more huss on whiting while they arnt touching mackerel.
Hardcore Addict

Postby BigBadCol » 23 Apr 2014, 12:27

dabcatcher wrote:great day out Col.

you should have whipped the tail end of that codling back on and cast it straight back out.

if your catching small codling or whiting in north wales the huss will be feeding on them.

at times you'll catch a lot more huss on whiting while they arnt touching mackerel.

I did along with some little tings but with no luck :groan:
Hardcore Addict

Postby grandadruss » 24 Apr 2014, 19:10

Brilliant Col :gp:
It had everything,pathos,humour,and a touch of death defying scenes..like a Greek tragedy.
Onion boy.. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: still cracks me up does that :cheer:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby BigBadCol » 24 Apr 2014, 19:14

Thanks for your kind replies guys

Col
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 26 Apr 2014, 16:12

it looks like you had a great day out lads :clap: :gp:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Return to North Wales Sea Fishing Reports