It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:04

the 2012 Cornish Cronicles - full(ish) story

SouthWest Sea Fishing Forum - Covering Devon, Cornwall, Somerset and the Bristol Channel - Torquay, Plymouth, Falmouth, Penzance, Newquay

the 2012 Cornish Cronicles - full(ish) story

Postby keith n » 28 Aug 2012, 13:58

Was down on the harbour for 6am Sunday morning to find some of the local fishing mafia already there .One turned round , looked at me and said “ back down again are you “ to be honest it feels like i hadn’t been away . |Was a very pleasant morning and the fish were on my side over the next couple of hours I had 9 mack ( 3 small ones returned as I managed to get them off the hook without touching them) and a couple of bloody garfish ( Garfish do put up a good and sometimes airboune fight but they are a bugger to get off the hook and cover you with green slimey scales which is why I hate catching them). As I was leaving one of the locals who had been fishing at the far end told us he had a couple of Bass on jelly worms
Not long after breaKfast it hammered down with rain , so hoping for the weather to improve we went to Looe for the day .Soon after we arrived teh sun came out and it was baking hot – and me with jeans and a bloody jacket on
Sunday evening went back down to the harbour but it was combat fishing to the extreme so we went for a walk round the village , 2 hours later some of the crowds had gone and we managed to find a spot to fish. Managed a Pollock and a couple of mack . I looked up from the float at one stage to see a fabulous sight , about ¼ of a mile out there must have been 30+_ porpoises chasing a shoal of fish - leaping out the water for about 10 minutes ! How I wish I had a camcorder with a decent zoom.
Thats basically how the whole week went , I had some time with various jelly eels with only one Pollock , all the other fish came on the float . Finished up with probably 70+ mackerel ( quite a few returned ) a fair few Pollock ( up to 2lb ) all returned , god knows how many garfish – too bloody many really , one horse mackerel and a pouting.
One evening a Chad was caught , around the 3lb mark – the angler was not pleased that he had to return it as the chad seems to be a protected species
Had some entertainment one morning as a bird ( not sure what it was – not a shag or a cormorant) was swimming underwater just by the wall and scaring the s**t out of the sandeels
Another time I saw 3 small john dorys swimming around just a few feet away from the wall
Some evenings I just couldn’t fish because of the amount or people already there and most didn’t have a clue what they were doing ! Feather chuckers galore , I never have understood why people bother with feathers , its hard work and the float men catch a lot more fish on lighter tackle and have a lot more fun ( and most of the daft b’stards don’t use a shockleader) .
A lot of people using floats didn’t have a clue – baits suspended just under the surface was one common error , one bloke had a set of feathers under a float and couldn’t understand why he was blanking ( most fish are between 15 and 25 ft down)
Quite funny Sunday night , we popped down about 6pm and managed to find a speck – most people were blanking , jack and I had a mack each within 5 minutes and when I had another 10 minutes later 3 people packed up and walked away giving me and jack dirty looks
Mevagissey Harbour

Cornish Chough –very tame
Dawn
SWANS – these two swam miles each day
Lesley fighting her Pollock
Jacks Mackeral
View from where we stay

Strange pic
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: the 2012 Cornish Cronicles - full(ish) story

Postby hughie » 28 Aug 2012, 14:06

great report, I was down there myself, trevone and padstow, caught bugger all, but loved it. well done with your fish.
LETS GO FISHING.
Rossall Bassmeister

Postby john pie » 28 Aug 2012, 17:22

Sound's like a fun fish packed holiday for you all .........Great report and pic's :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hardcore Addict

Postby TerryG » 28 Aug 2012, 19:58

Cracking report and pics Keith, :thumb: Glad you enjoyed your hols :yeah2: 8-) :gp: :gp:
Terry 9T's

Return to South West Sea Fishing Reports