It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:21

Q...JUST FOR FUN....what and when did you start fishing????

You can talk about any topic here.
*WARNING* some threads may contain discussion only suitable for adults.
Please bear in mind our viewers come from diverse backgrounds. Any racist comments will be met with a zero tolerance policy.

Re: Q...JUST FOR FUN....what and when did you start fishing?

Postby shacky » 24 Jun 2015, 20:02

Ok here goes..............
When I was 8 years old, my parents owned a boarding house, not a hundred yards away from the entrance of central pier, Blackpool. I was always under their feet at home. My mum gave me a Tanner 6d and told me to go on the jetty (yes...it used to have one..!) and watch the anglers fish, so I did...best 6 pence I have ever spent :thumb:
I learned to fish the hard way...self taught. It was a struggle at first. I bought a handline and all I caught was the jetty :blink: But I was hooked...Got myself a paper round to buy my first rod and reel (winfields AKA woollies 8ft solid glass pier rod and a penn seaboy reel :roll: Mastering the multi was hard, eventually I had it sussed. Got some fishing books from the library and swatted up. My first fish was a whiting....from then on it is a passion that will be with me for life :D

Central Pier in it's glory days......

Guess who the kid is in the yellow waterproofs...?

I was on the beach the day central pier jetty was demolished :( with dynamite :shock:
North pier jetty became my new home and won a few matches there......Now that has sadly gone...

So there you have it....! I could write a book ??? Though I have bored you enough :groan:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Postby rob f » 24 Jun 2015, 21:54

I got into sea :fishing: 30 years ago My first rod was a second hand daiwa strike force and a abu fix spool reel which I got at a car boot . ( I've still got the rod )
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby grumpyppops1 » 24 Jun 2015, 22:02

shacky wrote:Ok here goes..............
When I was 8 years old, my parents owned a boarding house, not a hundred yards away from the entrance of central pier, Blackpool. I was always under their feet at home. My mum gave me a Tanner 6d and told me to go on the jetty (yes...it used to have one..!) and watch the anglers fish, so I did...best 6 pence I have ever spent :thumb:
I learned to fish the hard way...self taught. It was a struggle at first. I bought a handline and all I caught was the jetty :blink: But I was hooked...Got myself a paper round to buy my first rod and reel (winfields AKA woollies 8ft solid glass pier rod and a penn seaboy reel :roll: Mastering the multi was hard, eventually I had it sussed. Got some fishing books from the library and swatted up. My first fish was a whiting....from then on it is a passion that will be with me for life :D

I was on the beach the day central pier jetty was demolished :( with dynamite :shock:
North pier jetty became my new home and won a few matches there......Now that has sadly gone...

So there you have it....! I could write a book ??? Though I have bored you enough :groan:

Great tale Iain some of that woolies,stuff was ok oh and the hot nut counter mmmm
Hardcore Addict

Location: Bolton,the town without a sea(but very expensive trains)

Postby grumpyppops1 » 24 Jun 2015, 22:04

shacky wrote:Ok here goes..............

sure that's you ?did they have colour film when you were a kid :lmao:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Willpower » 24 Jun 2015, 22:31

Brought up on a farm in Bolton, so had a pit very close at hand and some 'dodgy' sessions with my father at Rivington reservoir (8 years old and couldn't understand why my father always picked 'oh my god o'clock' in the morning and we had to climb over a large wall to gain entrance when we went there).
After a move back to St. Annes I fished the pits around Lytham & Bryning using my bicycle for transport and had it quite easy re tackle because my father had bought the 2 pet shops in Lytham and sold tackle.
The pits started to become syndicated by Police & Premium Bonds, so it was off sea fishing on north pier as shown with the long jetty (I must have been around 14 years old then and had the discomfort of a bus ride back to St. Annes soaking wet more times than not). Another bus ride took me and a mate to Fleetwood for the annual beach open and once again managed to fill my willies trying to gain an extra foo or so (never beached a fish in those opens.
Next were sessions at local marks and a couple of trips to Garloch (Glasgow) for Coalies.
In a nutshell I've been fishing for 57 years. 1st sea rod was a 6' cane boat rod with a Penn Sea Boy reel that 'bird nested' about every 4th cast.
Hardcore Addict

Postby djdave » 24 Jun 2015, 22:36

first do at sea fishing was on camping w/e at Arnside with my mate and his dad 9yrs old ( bloody hell thats 51 yrs ago ) got a rod & reel for my 10th birthday we use to go once a month on the train from preston couldn't wait for them flattie bashing w/ends to come around then started going on the north pier jetty when we could be trusted not to mess about think it was the north pier that got me really hooked seeing the cod & whiting comming out GOOD MEMORIES
Species hunt 2019
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 24 Jun 2015, 22:38

grumpyppops1 wrote:sure that's you ?did they have colour film when you were a kid :lmao:
[/quote]

:lol: They did in the 70s and those yellow waterproofs were my dads, a bit on the large size and used them right up to my early 20s :thumb:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby Shane ousby » 24 Jun 2015, 22:57

That second picture brought back memories of fishing the north pier in the early 70s with my dad we watched them blow the end off the north pier one sat morning due to storm damage ....then they let us back on to fish....great days and some great fishing :thumb: :thumb:
Tommorow is promised to no one...we plan...GOD laughs.
Hardcore Addict

Postby grumpyppops1 » 24 Jun 2015, 23:13

shacky wrote:
grumpyppops1 wrote:sure that's you ?did they have colour film when you were a kid :lmao:

:lol: They did in the 70s and those yellow waterproofs were my dads, a bit on the large size and used them right up to my early 20s :thumb:[/quote]
1870s lol
Hardcore Addict

Postby john pie » 24 Jun 2015, 23:40

Brilliant reading .....And just proves one thing......
WE ALL LOVE FISHING

I spent many an hour on North Pier and Probably met a few of you on there without even realising it ...the power of the internet weren't about back then :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Hardcore Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Banter Boardroom