It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:23

Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Forum for All reports and information for fishing outside of the UK. Fishing holidays and overseas angling trips.

Live Crab Works Over Frozen Squid "Ika"!

Postby Scuba Chris » 19 Nov 2020, 19:05

Cannot Beat Live Bait! But No Table Fare For Tonight:(

I decided to use my Spydro Underwater Camera today. Water clarity was very poor due to the extreme full moon tides stirring-up the bottom. So on my Cedros 11' Surf Rod w/Surf 8K spinner i mounted my Spydro Camera using frozen squid "Ika" as a starting point before i went scrounging for live bait.

My live bait rig consisted of my HCS 9'6" Shoreline Plugger rod w/a Rockaway 6K spinner. It was an extreme minus tide so collecting live rock crabs was fairly easy though the soft mud was like quick sand. This area only allowed for 2 rods per person so i stuck to live crabs as my preferred bait. Within minutes i got a baby Hammerhead Shark which i released. Latter in the day got a Burrfish "Porcupine Fish". Ok, the ika wasn't working so i swapped that frozen bait out for a live crab. Bingo, another baby Hammerhead. This shows that live bait will always do better then frozen dead baits. Figures i got that last Hammerhead after the Spydro unit ran out of power. Next time i'll start with the Spydro rig first using live bait.

Though i released everything i failed in producing sought after edible fare to give away. Considering the murky conditions, extreme tides & the storm that rolled in soaking me to the bone & causing island flooding alerts it was nice just to get a bit darker again.

https://youtu.be/EftQ2tqkBAc
Attachments
IMG_8375.jpg
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to International Fishing Forum