It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:41

Dragon Casters On The Nomad Express!

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

Dragon Casters On The Nomad Express!

Postby Scuba Chris » 19 Apr 2019, 19:01

How To Adjust The Tensioner & Use The Nomad Travel Express Rod!

Ok, i'm not used to baitcasters. I've used them in Maine bagging trout & in Asia for snakeheads. I'm used to spinners. But if you fish areas of brush & trees you'll need a baitcaster for accuracy. I'll walk you through how i adjust the tensioner of a Okuma Komodo SS KDS-364P so it'll eliminate the possibility of a birdnest "hopefully". I'll also use an Okuma Nomad Express Travel Rod. A 7'11" Heavy 4pc rod with spigot ferrule connections. This rod can handle the Komodo easily.

Remember when casting this isn't a spinning rig. There's no need to whiplash or "oomph" this rig. Just a smooth extended arm release will suffice. This isn't a rig for distance casting, it's a powerful combo for accurately placing your lure exactly where you want it. Under a tree branch or next to a log a baitcaster is meant for accuracy. Hard to do this with a spinner (though i can-lol).

I started the peg settings on both casters (KDS-471P & KDS-364P) at 3 alternating "up". Comes from the factory with all 6 pegs down. I contacted a Okuma rep to ask what's the best starting position of the pegs. He recommended starting with 3 up & 3 down, then adjust accordingly. So after a few days this is where i'm at. The 364 i'm using 2 pegs up & the 471 they're all down. So far no birdnesting (just jinxed myself). I'm using 1-1/2 or 2oz on the smaller rig & 2-1/2 or 3oz on the larger rig. The rod used with the 471 is another 7'11" Nomad Express but it's a XH instead of a H.

Rig#1
Komodo 364 has 340yd of 20lb braid on a H 7'11" Nomad Express.
Rig#2
Komodo 471 has 360yd of 40lb braid on a XH 7'11" Nomad Express.

Both rigs feel "balanced". Extremely light-weight. Casting heavier weights makes you more accurate. You can put everything in a standard sized backpack. This is a rig you can travel abroad with, no bail wire to possibly bend & passes TSA travel restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkieS4r1cZo
Attachments
Cover6.PNG
Cover6.PNG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 499 times
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Tackle Talk