It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:20

Polish fishermen if you can call them fishermen

Polish fishermen if you can call them fishermen

Postby spraymanandy » 18 Jun 2017, 21:32

My young son and myself have been fishing heysham today had 5 plaice and one eel all released unharmed. We witnessed two polish guys who kept everything they caught 3 underside bass along with palm sized plaice and even 2 smoothounds about 5 and 8lb totally disgusting. Is it worth reporting to the fisheries.
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Polish fishermen if you can call them fishermen

Postby Willpower » 19 Jun 2017, 12:40

Perhaps they are not aware of size limits and perhaps you should have mentioned it to them, or if you do feel strongly enough, then email nwifca.
Don't know where the fisheries officers are based, but although there aren't many of them, I do see them checking anglers on the Fylde coast.
Myself, I would wander over to anyone taking undersized fish and have a friendly word.
Hardcore Addict

Postby skatenchips » 19 Jun 2017, 13:19

I would suggest you think long and hard before your "friendly word" is taken the wrong way.

I was night fishing on the river Thames and became aware of other anglers along the bank,being nosy I walked up and saw in my headlight 4 lads sat with 5 dead large Chub on the bank,i said to the 1st fella....we catch and release in this country mate,and the 2nd lad replied in his tongue..and I could tell he wasn't happy and I felt physically threatened ....so i walked away and phoned the EA report line with their number plate etc...I forgot about it but did have an email arrive a week later telling me unless I had proof plus fish evidence of removal from the water the court case would see the lads cautioned .......end of.

so I would apply the same common sense as hard as it may be accept someone is flouting the laws your going to have to swallow and sit and watch it happen.......or..... ring the authorities and be prepared to go through with it all.
Hardcore Addict

Postby spraymanandy » 20 Jun 2017, 08:00

Willpower wrote:Perhaps they are not aware of size limits and perhaps you should have mentioned it to them, or if you do feel strongly enough, then email nwifca.
Don't know where the fisheries officers are based, but although there aren't many of them, I do see them checking anglers on the Fylde coast.
Myself, I would wander over to anyone taking undersized fish and have a friendly word.

I guess it's all about education but unfortunately with a 11 year old son confrontation is probably not a good idea just have to grin and bear it at least my son will no what is right.
Trainee Addict

Postby ray » 20 Jun 2017, 14:09

spraymanandy wrote:
Willpower wrote:Perhaps they are not aware of size limits and perhaps you should have mentioned it to them, or if you do feel strongly enough, then email nwifca.

I guess it's all about education but unfortunately with a 11 year old son confrontation is probably not a good idea just have to grin and bear it at least my son will no what is right.

communication is the key to success :thumb:

talking costs nothing, if you chat to people, you will soon gauge if they are scallies or not, if they are, then simply give them a wide a berth and do what ever you feel necessary, but if they are simply uneducated/unknowledgeable then via talking, you might just be able to educate, and maybe even form a new friendship in the process.

tight lines. :thumb:
2023 species hunt.....Rockling, Dab, flounder, whiting, shanny.
Hardcore Addict

Return to Angling Politics and Conservation