It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:02

penn affinity 8000

Tried something new? Or had a product that has stood the test of time?? Why not write a review to help other with future purchases!!

penn affinity 8000

Postby dabcatcher » 03 Mar 2014, 11:56

after searching all over for one of these i finally managed to locate one at southend angling. up to last week there was hardly any in the country and all tackle shops are waiting for deliveries.

i didn't want this for regular fishing, just for specific tasks.

up here on the northeast coast more people are switching to fixed spools for some of there work especially over rought ground.

my plan was to fill one spool with 65lb braid for the serious stuff and the other with 35lb for more distance over mixed ground. we have a couple of marks where you need to get a decent distance over mixed ground to reach the tide line. using 20lb mono mainline makes it dificult but a finer and stronger braid makes it easier.

the reel is a lovely piece of work and very smooth. one push of the handle and it will carry running smoothly all by itself even setteling itself into a balanced position.

i loaded the braid spool with the 35lb whiplash pro. there are 2 small hole for you to put the braid through and tie it to the spool to stop it slipping. this was a problem.. everytime i tried to tie a knot the sharp edges in one of the tiny holes cut the braid. after 4 goes i gave up. i simple put the braid through one of the holes, tied a dozen granny knots to leave a lump of braid to jam in the hole. in hindsight i should have used a tiny bead as a stop. line lay on this reel is awsome and 35lb filled it up right to the lip but i did notice that i had a slight hump at the very front of the spool and slight gap causing a couple loose loops at the back.

this reel came with 2 small spare washers for this adjustment. before loading the other spool i added what i thought i would need, 2 washers.

on the larger spool i put about 100m of 20lb mono backing on then loaded the rest up with the 65lb whiplash. i got it just right and ended up with the level i wanted. but.... 2 washers was too much, i ended with a slight dip right at the front and tiny lift at the back.

now i had both spools loaded up but not to my liking.

2 nights later i went down to a local beach after taking out one of the extra washers. i walked to one end of the beach attatched a 6oz lead and left it on the beach as i walked back letting out line. once the spool was empty i took up any slack and wound it all back on. this time the line lay was perfect and tight up to front and back of the spool. i repeated it with the other spool.

i used it for the first time during my match last friday. it took me a while to get used to using a reel i last used 40 years ago. winding a big fixed spool with the rod butt between your legs actually took me back a few years but once you get used to the idea it felt fine. getting my gear back with fish up to 1lb 7oz was totally effortless though i did take it easy as i didn't want to bump fish off with the braid.

i,m now looking foreward using it a bit more often and have a few marks and species i want to try it on.
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: penn affinity 8000

Postby craggers » 03 Mar 2014, 12:36

A detailed review bud i bought this model 5 months ago and paired it with a continental surf rod never looked back .
I liked that stile of fishing that much i now have 2 set ups a light style set up clean ground 20lb braid
with a tapered leader, and a 60lb braid straight through for use on rougher ground .
If theres a chance of the 60lb rubbing on rough ground add a leader for the session .
You can't beat fishing straight through no weed on leader knots to restrict the retrieve and fantastic bite detection :thumb:

45yrs fishing multi they never get out these days :lol: :thumb:
Born to fish Forced to work
Hardcore Addict

Postby dabcatcher » 03 Mar 2014, 14:34

craggers wrote:A detailed review bud i bought this model 5 months ago and paired it with a continental surf rod never looked back .
I liked that stile of fishing that much i now have 2 set ups a light style set up clean ground 20lb braid
with a tapered leader, and a 60lb braid straight through for use on rougher ground .
If theres a chance of the 60lb rubbing on rough ground add a leader for the session .
You can't beat fishing straight through no weed on leader knots to restrict the retrieve and fantastic bite detection :thumb:

45yrs fishing multi they never get out these days :lol: :thumb:

i intend to use an 80lb braid leader on both spools. especially on the 65lb to counter abrasion.

i,m actually using mine on my ttr because its only for mixed to very rough ground. so i didn't have to alter my reel seat [thats fixed in the low position] i added a reducer. this left the reel seat in the perfect position but..... my ttr at 15.1/2ft :blink: its going to take a while to get used to that.
Hardcore Addict

Postby baggerbarnes » 06 May 2016, 08:44

like my penn affinity used it three times now first time i have used braid and I think its the bees knees :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby shacky » 24 Jun 2016, 22:02

Just over a couple of years ago, i started with the fixed spool and braid, just to see what it was like. Then i bought a continental rod, which was way too soft and sold it!. I did my homework swatting and trawling through the internet.
I settled for a Yuki Taylor Q6 and this was teamed up with a Penn Surfblaster 7000. This setup i kept for a year, though i wanted a bit more backbone in my rod. So when the opportunity came a Yuki Taylor Q7 was soon in my armoury. To me this rod is the dogs knackers, all i need from a rod plus more.
It is still teamed up with the surfblaster, but this reel has not taken to sea water very well. The electro plating on the handle has begun to peel away, showing the alloy underneath. (I have seen a few surfblasters like this).
Now don't get me wrong, this reel has coped with everything i have tasked it to.
So....Don't carp on at me about Shimano's, I have now got on it's way a Penn Affinity 7000, which i see as an upgrade. I will let you know what it's like in due time.
Just hope the finish of the reel is better.
<º))2023 Species))><..Dab, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Weaver, Dover Sole, Starry Smoothound, Turbot, Bass, Tope, Common Smoothound, Thornback Ray, Dogfish..<º))Hunt))><
Global Moderator

Postby sharpey » 24 Jun 2016, 22:37

Carp-Shimano...??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby shacky » 24 Jun 2016, 22:39

sharpey wrote:Image
Carp-Shimano...??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: There's always one :lol: ;)
<º))2023 Species))><..Dab, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Weaver, Dover Sole, Starry Smoothound, Turbot, Bass, Tope, Common Smoothound, Thornback Ray, Dogfish..<º))Hunt))><
Global Moderator

Return to Fishing Tackle Reviews