It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:02

One Piece Sea Rods

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

One Piece Sea Rods

Postby RichardH » 19 Jun 2019, 06:47

I was surprised to discover that one piece sea rods of 12 Ft and longer, are not freely available in UK?
Secondly, that most rods have their reel slides fitted high up on the rod blank, which can be a disadvantage for multiplier reel users.
Finally, does anyone know which of the centre drag (fixed spool) reels can be changed into a Right Hand winding action?
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: One Piece Sea Rods

Postby joiner8212 » 19 Jun 2019, 10:08

Not sure why anybody would want a 12ft one piece rod it would be difficult to transport and I would visit your local tackle shop regarding reels and rods because a lot have sliding reel seats
Hardcore Addict

Postby RichardH » 19 Jun 2019, 14:13

Of the 4 tackle shops I visited, none of the staff understood 'Sliding Reel Seats'
I see Gerry's Fishing appear to be more knowledgeable.

Custom roof racks as shown here:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3SH20_.jpg

But if truth be told, at 70 years young, I am bound to end up in the sea, tackle and all ! :unsure: lol?
Trainee Addict

Postby joiner8212 » 19 Jun 2019, 20:32

RichardH wrote:Of the 4 tackle shops I visited, none of the staff understood 'Sliding Reel Seats'
I see Gerry's Fishing appear to be more knowledgeable.

Custom roof racks as shown here:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3SH20_.jpg

But if truth be told, at 70 years young, I am bound to end up in the sea, tackle and all ! :unsure: lol?

Not sure what fishing you have done and where you intend too fish but at 2yrs older than you I find the conti rods easier to handle but tend to use fixed spool reels rather than my multipliers
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 21 Jun 2019, 11:42

I've seen 10 to 12 ft one piece surf rods in the states and read about one piece 15fters in southern Africa! I've enough problems with the 8ft tips on my zzippies :D The 3pc 14ft conti seems the easy option these days
Hardcore Addict

Postby boxerman » 05 Jul 2019, 09:38

As others have said, I cannot see any possible advantage for a one piece 12' rod. I wouldn't be able to store it anywhere at home, or transport it to the beach.
Most of my beach rods are two piece and are over six foot long broken down - that's bad enough! I also have 3 14' conti rods which break into 3 sections and are much more manageable.

As for reel seats, some rods come with none at all and the reel is fixed with coasters. Not everyone who uses a multiplier fishes 'reel down' - I don't, I find it clumsy. I don't like coasters though, I have a moveable reel seat instead. Abu Garcia, Penn and Tronixpro market them and there are no doubt others too.

I am also 2 years older than you BTW

Frank
Hardcore Addict

Postby GrumpyGaz » 06 Jul 2019, 12:29

I have a mate in South Africa who is looking into sending me one of the beach rods they use over there. I lived there many years ago and remember using fibreglass rods that would launch big baits a long, long way.

I'm curious to see if rods over there have developed along the lines of the Conti's or whether they are still doing it like they used to.
When all about you are losing their heads stop swinging the bloody axe!
Almost an Addict

Postby RichardH » 20 Aug 2019, 01:49

Thanks to one & all for their valuable replies.
Much appreciated.
Trainee Addict

Postby GrumpyGaz » 20 Aug 2019, 08:41

Since getting my 13ft 9 inch Tronixpro continental style rods I've given up any ideas of two piece multiplier rods . I have a back injury that prevents me twisting or rolling my hips at all and the effort needed to load traditional rods would cause me all sorts of bother.

These 3 piece conti's are the bomb mate, a simple over head lob or a mid powered off the ground cast is getting me up to 115 yards on the footy pitch, probably 15 to 20 less with a big bait into a breeze. They break down to 150 cm so are easy to carry too.

I started with a cheap budget one just to get a feel for them and was sold on the idea once I'd had one chuck with one of Bootster's rods at Blackpool.

I bought a Tronixpro Aphex TT, then the Aphex GT. Bought the Banzai GT for roughing it with and finally got myself the Cobra Light and the Cobra GT.
All fixed spool conti's and all pretty good bits of kit for the price.

I run Penn Surfblaster 8000's with 80lb braid on the two heavier rods and Tronixpro Oceaniks with 60lb braid on the three lighter rods.

I find them really easy to use and find they suit what passes for my casting style and ability much better than a traditional beach caster does.

I've found rods that fitted my budget and are capable of far more than I will ever get out of them for half the price of some of the traditional rods I know I can't use to their full potential.
I suppose they will have their limitations when used by a fitter angler than myself but thats never going to be a worry for me at the venues I fish.

I did speak to some friends in South Africa, I can get rods but not at a sensible price that makes it worth it. In any case, I'm unlikely to encounter a Zambezi shark or 60 lb skate off the Gynn now am I?

Just my two pence worth folks ;-)
When all about you are losing their heads stop swinging the bloody axe!
Almost an Addict

Return to Tackle Talk