It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:34

Off the top

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

Off the top

Postby abbo » 24 Jul 2012, 23:45

Another early first light session at a new mark. Walking down to the beach there was hardly a breath of air - but, suprisingly a large swell ensued. Its overcast, seasonally warm about 17 degrees.

Getting closer to the mark I could hear the chuckle and bubble of water running between stones -almost instantly it heightens my senses what may come.
I choose a cluster of rocks huddled together with a few boulders in front that are slightly submerged. 1st cast a 100g pacthinko in Nacre. Retrieve slowly, twitch, stop. Twenty yards out, whir, splash a tidy bend in the rod a nice fight and Bass landed - good start - my first Bass off the top, as its so often called.

Third cast in again. The light is almost up. Night darkness on its last legs with six landed. It quietens down till high tide. I moved every twenty minutes using a variety of lures. In frustration I returned to the baby Patchinko. I was instantly rewarded with another whir, splash and thud.
This lovely specimen measured a tad over 57 cm's.

Having fallen in and getting a complete soaking, I decided to move to higher ground another 1000 metres aways
I tried a couple of new lures purchased last week a DC 12 and a Megabass in silver.I was finally rewarded with another mini session of 4 more.

Continued for another couple of hours without any hits at all. Decided that was it having had a thoroughly enjoyable day," loving it".
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Off the top

Postby Rushy » 25 Jul 2012, 00:30

It's superb catching them off the top :yeah2: the only trouble is it ruins the rest of your plugging, as nothing comes close to the visual thrill of seeing your lure getting smashed into :fish: excellent session Paul, well worth a soaking! :clap:

Fantastic report and thanks for sharing :gp: :gp: :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Off the top

Postby sharpey » 25 Jul 2012, 08:18

Crackin session..?? Local? Can you say or will you have to kill me ..?? Looks like great fun despite the dip..!! Great report, well done.
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby Jimmyjizzmo » 26 Jul 2012, 09:20

Well in abbo Laaaaa :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
can't believe you went for a swim :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Hardcore Addict

Postby billy the lug » 26 Jul 2012, 12:31

Brilliant Paul, love getting them off the top :cheer:

Nothing better than catching bass then joining them for a dip :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Almost an Addict

Postby abbo » 26 Jul 2012, 20:23

billy the lug wrote:Brilliant Paul, love getting them off the top :cheer:

Nothing better than catching bass then joining them for a dip :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was plugging no further than ten yards from the shore - didn't realise it was so deep here when the tide comes in and with the surf couldn't see the stones I had stepped onto to get to the big boulder I was casting from- In the end took a chance on where the boulder was, missed and fell in. I managed to scamble to the shore with my rod. Waders filled up but, got back ok. Definately getting a lifejacket though.
A couple birdwatching/ saw me were pi-ssing themselves :doh: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rushy » 26 Jul 2012, 21:04

abbo wrote:............ Definately getting a lifejacket though.

Get a kayak! :yeah2:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby billy the lug » 27 Jul 2012, 19:27

Rushy wrote:
abbo wrote:............ Definately getting a lifejacket though.

Get a kayak! :yeah2:

Fcuk that Rushy he needs to buy a scouse mankini :thumb:

Almost an Addict

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging