It is currently 19 May 2019, 20:31



New Beach Rod

Latest deals and updates from Gerrys of Morecambe

Moderator: gerrysfishing.com


New Beach Rod

Postby wigandan » 01 Feb 2015, 17:31

I have been gaining a little bit of experience now with fishing from the prom at otterspool and have decided to make a purchase of a new rod/reel from Gerry's in the near future. (I have been using my fathers rod and reel for the moment)

I am looking for something strong enough to get a 6oz lead out with a comfortable chuck, but sensitive enough to get good bite registration. As I'm from a course fishing background, I want something that isnt too cumbersome but well balanced. Probably fixed spool set up for now, although I would like to eventually start using a mutiplier. I will be targeting Cod in the Winter months and plaice/flounder in the Summer months.

Can anyone recommend me a decent rod, or at least a reputable manufacturer. Price range isnt too big maybe £150-200?? i have been interested in the Sonik Sports brand but because I havent had any experience with them I am unsure. As I say, I am a newbie, but not a numpty, so don't want to go in at basic entry level, but don't want to be spending a small fortune like I do with the course gear (Wife will murder me! :blah: )

Any help/opinion is appreciated.
Trainee Addict
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 07 Jan 2015, 22:43

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert
 

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby Jammygit » 01 Feb 2015, 17:51

Hello mate, I'm sure you'll get many different opinions and recommendations from the lads on here . Bit like coarse fishing , we all have our favourites . Personally I'd stay away from entry level soniks, the new gravity surf is getting rave reviews but the others I'd probably leave. In your price range one rod that I've recommended again and again is the penn rampage , its a great rod that's easy to cast and will do everything from flatties to lobbing out big baits, it also casts with multi or fixed spool if you decided to try swopping over. Also in that price range you have greys , leeda ( don't be put off coming from coarse fishing where it's not a fashionable brand they do some excellent sea rods) , the sunset range in Gerrys which would really suit someone coming over from coarse fishing and Anyfish Anywhere Rods that also have a huge following and are superb rods. For the money you're spending you can easily get an excellent rod that will go along with you as you get into sea fishing more and more and last you years :thumb: best bet is to get yourself into Gerrys and have craic with the lads and see which one takes your fancy. Good luck whatever you go for mate and don't forget the reports once you get out with it :fishing:
Do or do not, there is no try..... YODA
padsta's lovechild
User avatar

 
Posts: 2337
Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 20:21

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby matty t » 01 Feb 2015, 18:17

hi mate like jammygit mentioned if u pop in the shop myself or one of the lads will show u the combos will can put together for your price range a rod to have a quick look at is the sunset kemica hybrid or power teamed up with a penn surfblaster 7000 or 8000
Almost an Addict
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 20 Jan 2012, 13:05

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby grandadruss » 01 Feb 2015, 18:29

matty t wrote:hi mate like jammygit mentioned if u pop in the shop myself or one of the lads will show u the combos will can put together for your price range a rod to have a quick look at is the sunset kemica hybrid or power teamed up with a penn surfblaster 7000 or 8000


Can't beat an offer like that Dan :D
Go for it
Nice for any shop and it's staff to offer this service that's for sure :thumb:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall
User avatar

 
Posts: 6069
Joined: 08 Dec 2012, 20:05
Location: Stretford,Manchester.

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby wigandan » 01 Feb 2015, 23:09

Thanks for the very vauable info chaps. Much appreciated and a lot to think about jammygit, I never really gave Leeda a thought, the course gear is really basic but if they concentrate more on the sea stuff maybe there is a bargain to be had.

Matty, I will take a look at the sunset rod and will come up to the shop for a waggle of it sometime next month. My fishing buddy will also be with me so you will no doubt end up with a double purchase as he is in a similar situation to me.

I have a rearranged trip on the Blue Mink first then we will be up.

Just one last question, what length of rod would be most appropriate, I have been using a 12ft rod, which is fine but would it be a benefit or a hindrance to go longer? (I'm 5ft 9)

Thanks Again.
Trainee Addict
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 07 Jan 2015, 22:43

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby Pike » 01 Feb 2015, 23:17

Just want to add :thumb: I was recommended the Penn Rampage with Surfblaster combo by Jimsta off AA. Known him too long so that's what I bought :thumb: after the purchase I posted and was told by a lot of members I coulndnt go wrong :thumb: had a few trips out and it's great. As Matty said, its good for flatties but can also handle bigger fish. Great set up and does what it says on the protective rod tube it come in :lmao:
When the tide goes out.... You can see who's been swimming naked!?
Josh's chauffeur
User avatar

 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:37
Location: The Lake District

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby Propernoddy » 02 Feb 2015, 22:59

Grays triplex
Hardcore Addict
 
Posts: 423
Joined: 19 Jan 2014, 17:53

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby Beachbuddy » 25 Feb 2015, 21:45

wigandan wrote:I have been gaining a little bit of experience now with fishing from the prom at otterspool and have decided to make a purchase of a new rod/reel from Gerry's in the near future. (I have been using my fathers rod and reel for the moment)

I am looking for something strong enough to get a 6oz lead out with a comfortable chuck, but sensitive enough to get good bite registration. As I'm from a course fishing background, I want something that isnt too cumbersome but well balanced. Probably fixed spool set up for now, although I would like to eventually start using a mutiplier. I will be targeting Cod in the Winter months and plaice/flounder in the Summer months.

Can anyone recommend me a decent rod, or at least a reputable manufacturer. Price range isnt too big maybe £150-200?? i have been interested in the Sonik Sports brand but because I havent had any experience with them I am unsure. As I say, I am a newbie, but not a numpty, so don't want to go in at basic entry level, but don't want to be spending a small fortune like I do with the course gear (Wife will murder me! :blah: )

Any help/opinion is appreciated.

Don't go for anything in the sonik range they are total and utter rubbish,sonik came out with a quote no so long ago about they have changed there supplier in china due to the amount returns on inferior rods.
Trainee Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 18 Feb 2015, 23:41

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby Jimsta » 25 Feb 2015, 23:01

Beachbuddy wrote:
wigandan wrote:I have been gaining a little bit of experience now with fishing from the prom at otterspool and have decided to make a purchase of a new rod/reel from Gerry's in the near future. (I have been using my fathers rod and reel for the moment)

I am looking for something strong enough to get a 6oz lead out with a comfortable chuck, but sensitive enough to get good bite registration. As I'm from a course fishing background, I want something that isnt too cumbersome but well balanced. Probably fixed spool set up for now, although I would like to eventually start using a mutiplier. I will be targeting Cod in the Winter months and plaice/flounder in the Summer months.

Can anyone recommend me a decent rod, or at least a reputable manufacturer. Price range isnt too big maybe £150-200?? i have been interested in the Sonik Sports brand but because I havent had any experience with them I am unsure. As I say, I am a newbie, but not a numpty, so don't want to go in at basic entry level, but don't want to be spending a small fortune like I do with the course gear (Wife will murder me! :blah: )

Any help/opinion is appreciated.

Don't go for anything in the sonik range they are total and utter rubbish,sonik came out with a quote no so long ago about they have changed there supplier in china due to the amount returns on inferior rods.


Disagree mate ,personally used Sonik over the years never had any issues ,also tried the Sonik Gravity at weekend superb casting rod ??? ??? But each to there own with rod choice and make :thumb:
Hardcore Addict
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: 24 Sep 2013, 19:55
Location: Lancaster

Re: New Beach Rod

Postby sharpey » 25 Feb 2015, 23:41

I had two Soniks, one new and one I got off Russkea..?? Seemed fine, but very happy with my Sunsets and fs reels. As Jim says, each to their own...


Sharpey
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin
User avatar

 
Posts: 9348
Joined: 23 Dec 2011, 15:12
Location: Natland, South of Kendal

Next

Return to Gerrys Of Morecambe - Gerrysfishing Latest



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests