It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:37

Lures for coloured water

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

Lures for coloured water

Postby liphook » 09 Apr 2012, 01:58

I'm very interested to hear what the best lures/colours for bass fishing in coloured water are? I usually fish the Ribble estuary where it's almost always 'sandy soup' (when your not in the river channel on the ebb). Had a few to topwaters, but most (but by no means many!) to black flying c's. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Lures for coloured water

Postby Paul » 09 Apr 2012, 13:32

Obviously with the water being coloured, sight is out of the window, so you need to appeal to their other senses. Fish are more than used to feeding in these conditions, so don't let it put you off.

Anything that makes a lot of noise and vibrations in the water. Flying C's are great particularly if you reel against the tide run to really make them work.... Jointed plugs are also great (something like a Rapala J13 is an obvious choice.

Top water ones will work, but id say you would probably have to work them slightly differently. Try really quick short twitches - by that i mean lots of small twitches rather than a big pop every few seconds, maybe a small sharp pop every second or so....maybe even less time in between
Solar powered fisherman

Postby liphook » 10 Apr 2012, 07:31

Cheers Paul, having discussed this with a seasoned pro, I've come to the opinion that it's a bit of a quest for the holy grail ! He suggested adding scent gels might help, but left me thinking that in all probability I'd be better off with the conventional bait approach ??? . I was just wondering if anyone had noticed any particularly productive lures for these conditions. Had a few fish on a J-13 sprayed black - a lure that has proved deadly on the Solway - but they don't cast that well into the wind. The search continues
Hardcore Addict

Postby Paul » 10 Apr 2012, 13:11

Id be tempted to go REALLY bright for coloured water ??? Thats just me...
Solar powered fisherman

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging