It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:40

lure fishing and other questions.

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

lure fishing and other questions.

Postby grandadruss » 23 Jul 2014, 10:31

Thought I had posted this once but didn't seem to go on :doh:
Anyway.
Have read Hughies and others reports on sea lure fishing.
I have a good few lures that I have picked up from car boots over the last few years.
Just bought them cos there shiny. :D
100_6580 (640x475).jpg
100_6580 (640x475).jpg (237.92 KiB) Viewed 884 times

Possibly pike lures,but could they be used for sea fishing?
Which rod to use,presume not one of my big sea rods.
Would my carp rod do?
Line also,strong mono about 12lb bs.?
Lastly,where can you fish from?
Don't mean specific areas but beach,rocks,kayak?
Could I lure fish from the North Wall?
A few others on here have mentioned giving it a bash so answers would help me and perhaps a few other good souls on AA. :thumb:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: lure fishing and other questions.

Postby grandadruss » 23 Jul 2014, 19:13

22 Views?
Any one out there? 8-)
King of Rossall

Postby PJ_coursefishing » 23 Jul 2014, 19:16

Hi Russ

Are you trying to lure people in to replying :lmao:
Fishing and nature go hand in hand there is so much to see and enjoy. Catching fish is a bonus.
Hardcore Addict

Postby grandadruss » 23 Jul 2014, 19:25

PJ_coursefishing wrote:Hi Russ

Are you trying to lure people in to replying :lmao:

:groan:
King of Rossall

Postby Chris-61 » 24 Jul 2014, 11:39

Hi Russ, yes you I think you could use some if not all of the lures you have already. I think though that the Carp rod will be far to stiff, better off with a dedicated lure fishing rod. 12lb mono is also probably to heavy, a lot of lure anglers use braided main line and a flouro carbon leader. With the lack of stretch in braid it makes bite detection far better and lure control, also it is a lot thinner the mono for the same braking strain. Hope this helps.

Chris..
If it swims catch it. If you can!!!
Almost an Addict

Postby grandadruss » 24 Jul 2014, 18:13

Chris-61 wrote:Hi Russ, yes you I think you could use some if not all of the lures you have already. I think though that the Carp rod will be far to stiff, better off with a dedicated lure fishing rod. 12lb mono is also probably to heavy, a lot of lure anglers use braided main line and a flouro carbon leader. With the lack of stretch in braid it makes bite detection far better and lure control, also it is a lot thinner the mono for the same braking strain. Hope this helps.

Chris..

Cheers Chris
It does indeed help,not what I wanted to hear though ha.
Another rod..??
Oh well,lets start saving.
Cheers :thumb:
King of Rossall

Postby Chris-61 » 24 Jul 2014, 18:28

Sorry Russ, good news is that you'll find one for less than £50, as for a reel use a spare spool(braid) for one you already have. Even have a think about going down the Lrf(light rock fishing) route, 'Gerry's' can sort you out with everything you need, for less than you think. Same kit could be used for drop shot fishing on lakes and 'canals' for big perch, or trout on any method trout fisheries. There are 1000's of clips on YouTube on lrf/drop shot fishing.

Chris..
If it swims catch it. If you can!!!
Almost an Addict

Postby abbo » 26 Jul 2014, 18:55

Hello mate

Possibly pike lures,but could they be used for sea fishing?
A, Maybe they would catch fish, but, catching bass on lures is hard enough so personally I would invest in some lures that have been tailored for the sea, my personal favourites, for example:

No 1 Baby patchinko
No 2 Komomo's
No 3 Megabass X120's
No 4 Megabass Zonks
No 5 Tacklehouse feedshallows

or, some simple tobies or wedges if your on a budget you won't go far wrong with these

or, if you like to use soft plastics then savagegear eels or fiiish minnows are well thought of

Which rod to use, presume not one of my big sea rods. Would my carp rod do?
A, It's personal taste and depends where you plug and how much you want to pay. I have recommended the Tecklon 802 ml because, in my opinion its worth as much as some 400 quid rods I've had and used.
In short, it casts well, sensitive enough to work top surface lures brilliantly, is light, well made and bends beautifully into fish. A great all around rod. Think they sell for 110 quid, a bargain in my eyes.
A carp rod probably won't give you the sensitivity required to work some lure,s although, I haven't tried

Line also,strong mono about 12lb bs.?
A, again depending where you plug. If it's very rocky you may need a tough 30lb braid, although I only use 20 lb

Lastly,where can you fish from?
A, I don't know Morcombe well - But, I will say anywhere you may get clear water. Think about where you have caught Bass before. Anywhere where there is weed, kelp rocks, boulders, sandbars. Google earth is what I use, I spend hours looking for such areas.

Could I lure fish from the North Wall
A, I have never fished it but, if its like the Mersey I would say no - the water would be too turbid

Ok matey :fish:
Hardcore Addict

Postby strathy » 26 Jul 2014, 20:03

Those are mostly pike lures but the black back and the gold one would be good for pollock off the rocks around Stranraer and up the west coast of Scotland.
Get the rest advertised on the Lure anglers society forum, a lot of lads should be interested in the Pike repicas.
I,ve found that lure fishing from the shore from the Glitterball to the Sea cadets is at best a low water and rising tide pastime, made better if you are willing to wade and stay out at mid thigh to crotch depth as you retreat up the beach. This gives you the ability to fish lures across the wave troughs.
Best lures up here are Patchinco 100 in 500g, Maxrap 11 in AYU, and Hot Steel for sunny dawns and bright sunsets, and softies like Fiiiish Minnows in Sandeel. Sneaky trick for Fiiish minnows is to stick a small rattle in them if the water is really coloured.
Rods wise go to Gerrys and bag one the Okumas he has , rated to max of 30g or 35g casting, and stick a 3000 size reel on it loaded with 20lb braid.
Wouldn,t bother with lures off the North Wall except at low water walking out to the channel.
Arnside is great fun with lure tackle and soft plastics like Berkley gulp worms or the large Isomes in pink or brown rigged carolina style or on stand-up style jigheads. A 1lb flounder will bend a light lure rod double when it sets off into the channel.
Lure fishing is a few hits but a lot of misses in the north west.
Travel light and have fun.
Almost an Addict

Postby grandadruss » 27 Jul 2014, 13:32

Thanks to all for the replies and to Hughie for the pm. :thumb:
Was hoping it would be an easy type of fishing but..
Too much new gear needed to gain a little fishing on a very few marks.
Waders..??up to my chest..??
Don't think so but thanks all :D
King of Rossall

Next

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging