It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:31

lure fishing and other questions.

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

Re: lure fishing and other questions.

Postby billy bennett » 04 Aug 2014, 13:13

Hi Russ, I would say that for giving it a go without the outlay for specific plugging gear, your carp rod will do, if it comes down to trying it or giving up on it then try it.
I don't pretend to be an expert lure angler and to be honest most of my fishing is done with bait, but I have caught some nice fish on poppers in the Menia and trolling divers behind the boat, at first I used a carp rod but did invest in a pugging rod in the end.
The only thing I would say is invest in some Bass lures, not the cheap and nasty things that you find in tacle shops bargain bins but the likes of crystal minnows or any surface poppers that splash around on the surface when you play with them,
Bare in mind that apart from the rattle that attracts fish , lures are predominantly visual so its far better fishing them in clear water rather than whats on the Fylde coast which is like cold tea.
Secondly I know you have difficulty getting around so fishing rock marks or wading into kelp won't suit you, the Menia has some nice marks that are easy fishing but they are scattered up and down both sides and the chances of you finding them is rare but the swellies and the sea zoo area are quite fishable from the side.
Have a read of this article I wrote last year, it has a section on lure fishing, and fly fishing

http://www.anglingaddicts.co.uk/2013/ho ... ers-guide/
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: lure fishing and other questions.

Postby grandadruss » 04 Aug 2014, 17:47

Cheers Billy.will have to give it a go.
I like the idea of all kinds of fishing.
Sea fishing is dependent of when I'm at the van,coarse has to be the main one living where I do.
Now fly fishing is a different kettle of fish.tee hee.
I think if given the choice of how to fish tomorrow it would be fluff chucking.
Just find the casting an art and am determined to get better at it.
Nice and light,not much gear.
Cannot imagine setting up all the coarse gear gear just for two hours fishing unlike lifting a fly rod from the boot of the gear and having a bash.
Coarse meet this Saturday at Borwick then will save and get down to Curleys for some gentle fishing. :D
Will give you a shout a few days before I go.
Cheers mate. :thumb:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Previous

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging