It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:58

Lune estuary???

Sea fishing Venue guides and information for where to fish around the UK. Uk sea fishing marks.

Re: Lune estuary???

Postby stevenlisa24 » 08 Feb 2013, 18:51

Nice pics PT. I drive a wagon so might not be able to pop in for a brew there a bugger to park sometimes.

I will be going to do it in a few weeks i think (depending on the weather a few day before rain water and all that)

I'll let you know and we could meet up then.

Cheers
steve
There's no such thing as bad weather just a bad choice of clothing!

2013 Fish Count so far:
10 Flounder
5 Whiting
10 DAB
3 Rockling
2 Plaice
12 mackeral
http://stevenlisa24.wordpress.com/
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Lune estuary???

Postby Padsta Tel » 08 Feb 2013, 19:46

Ok if I'm off will meet you on the quay and show you where to fish

15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby Baz C » 10 Feb 2013, 12:34

Over the last half century I've fished a lot of areas down the Lune, started off with my old dad down from Aldcliffe.
The creeks at Conder Green and just seaward side of the Golden Ball @ Snatchems were a good source of creeper, bloody hard work but used to be plenty of them.

Most places seaward side of Carlisle bridge would produce the old mudsharks, the Old Williamsons Quay and areas down at Glasson Dock are still fished regularly.
The dock at Glasson can still be fished, (right hand side of gates looking out) but the owners insist you wear a reflective jacket for safety, particularly when you walk through their compound (so far so good, they were still allowing access last year)
Light tackle in the big gutters at Conder Green used to be a real blast, mudsharks on light spinning rod = hilarious :box:

The other side of the river, well Golden Ball was a favourite area, mainly due to easy access from the road, but most places you'll pick up flounders, a word of warning though... beware of the mud, although not quicksand like up round Arnside area, there can be some very muddy and very sticky patches.
We had a bloke at the Williamsons Quay went to 'rescue' his bag that went over the edge, we eventually got him out with a rope and some planks of wood, fire brigade came down but we'd just got him out as they arrived. Very shook up and nearly lost his waders, he was well in above the knees!
Also the tide can really rip in, when its a big one there can be a bore travels up, starts quite small seawards side of Glasson but builds and by the time its going past Willaimsons Quay have seen it nearly 2 foot high!

Bait, well mudsharks will munch most things, depends on the day, fresh lug/black lug/mackerel, anything will do, but they're not as keen when there's been a lot of fresh water coming down the river.
Master Brewer at The Den Brewery
The Brewmeister

Postby Rushy » 10 Feb 2013, 21:58

Good post Baz :clap:

Here's a video of the Lune bore I took at Glasson, not the biggest but it gives you an idea.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCcnpZm-Ow[/youtube]
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby andyb71 » 26 Feb 2013, 19:16

great memories of fishing the lune as a kid with me dad and brother off st georges key and snachems(golden ball) used to be our favorite ...like bill bodger said it used to be eels and flounder ...can still hear my dad swear now god bless when he caught an eel and made a mess of his line ....may just have to try this venue again....off to five bar on thursday big tide might be worth a bash ...let the mrs loose at b+m and home bargains....lol...but bring me some chips from kays chippy for dinner :cheer:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Baz C » 01 Mar 2013, 18:54

andyb71 wrote:.......great memories of fishing the lune as a kid with me dad and brother off st georges key and snachems(golden ball) used to be our favorite

I'm trying like hell to remember the name of the lad who's boat it was, but we're going back nearly 40 years ........ (Ernie, who worked @ Williamsons with my dad ? or was it John who lived round the corner from us, trawling through the memory banks :oops: )

We were on his boat heading down the Lune from St Georges on a big tide, just as we were getting to the Golden Ball the engine went pear shaped, somehow we managed to get the boat onto the car park @ the GB :victory:

The problem was, by the time we got the engine sorted the tide was well gone, the tides were dropping so the boat stayed high and dry on the car park for a month until the next set were big enough to refloat the bloody thing :banghead:

The other Golden Ball tale was me and my mate were fishing from the riverside @ the GB (similar sort of era) and there was a guy sat there on his basket, fishing next to us, smoking his pipe, glasses and a daft hat, we were catching quite a few and he was blanking, so we gave him some of our creeper and he started to catch, nice bloke too. It was Eric Morecambe :thumb:
Master Brewer at The Den Brewery
The Brewmeister

Postby andyb71 » 01 Mar 2013, 21:31

anyone remember the "river lady" moored near carlisle bridge before she had a fire? around late 70's early 80's i think....
Hardcore Addict

Postby Bill Bodger » 02 Mar 2013, 01:43

andyb71 wrote:anyone remember the "river lady" moored near carlisle bridge before she had a fire? around late 70's early 80's i think....

Was that the one that was tucked in just upstream of Carlisle bridge? I remember passing it on the way to my local watering hole The George and Dragon. A quaint old pub then but they ruined it by knocking it through into one big room.

The Golden Ball was where we used to make a bit of pocket money. On big tides we used to go down there on our bikes and push people out of the water after they have driven through and stalling......for a small fee of course :whistle: . We were mercenary b's then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BB 8-)
Good things come to those who bait.
Elderly Gent

Postby Padsta Tel » 02 Mar 2013, 18:05

Was that the old wooden P T boat from world war 2 it used to have Rolls Royce engines in it big grey thing.
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby phill 85 » 17 Oct 2013, 21:17

loved this post brings ack some good memories not that long ago as well me and a mate fished near the pileons half way down the track had over 20fish an eel to 29inch was cracking eel was retrun to fight another day we also had some bass off the lune only small but still bass
those who dare wins
Crabpaste

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Sea Fish