It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:33

Low water advice needed

Northwest Sea fishing forum - Shore fishing catch reports for Lancashire, Cumbria, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Liverpool and Mersey, Cumbria & the Isle of man.

Low water advice needed

Postby pete1991 » 05 Jan 2017, 20:43

Me and a mate a looking to start fishing low water on the Fylde coast.

We've done all of the high water marks and the Fleetwood side of the Wyre estuary at low but are looking for somewhere more productive for cod.

We are looking to go at daytime on Sunday, but could do with some advice on the safest low water mark in the Fylde to get us going. Is it possible to fish off the Knott end slip at low or does it not extend far enough into the water?

Any help would be appreciated- we only plan on staying for 1 hour after low just to be safe.
2017 species: Codling, whiting, rockling, flounder, dogfish, bull huss, thornback ray
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Low water advice needed

Postby senatorkenny » 05 Jan 2017, 21:17

Perch Rock on the Wirral is a good low water mark safe walk down and back
:-New list 2018/19 Dab.
Hardcore Addict

Postby pete1991 » 05 Jan 2017, 21:20

Cheers,

We were looking to fish the fylde but I might have a look at that mark!
2017 species: Codling, whiting, rockling, flounder, dogfish, bull huss, thornback ray
Trainee Addict

Postby Liam06 » 06 Jan 2017, 14:57

I've been told that fleetwood at low water is pretty good maybe worth a try but not sure about it
2019 species hunt..... whiting, rockling 5 beard, dab, cod, dogfish, plaice, bass
Hardcore Addict

Postby carl24bpool » 07 Jan 2017, 09:36

Hi,

I wouldn't advise fishing from Fleetwood at low anywhere off the large sand bank unless you're knowledge of it is good. It's a couple of miles out and there are two big gullies to cross. You only get a small window out there before you're cut off and in winter that would be worse than summer.

The channel opposite the Euston hotel can be okay on these neap tides but not sure how it fishes over low as I've never fished it.

Also there are some fairly accessible plAces to fish from the banks of the river wyre that produce codling on neap tides. Only tides 8m and under though as bigger tides will flood the marshes and leave you stranded due to hidden gullies once flooded.

I may give the river a go tomorrow as I think the tide is below 8m on one of the floods.
Almost an Addict

Postby john pie » 07 Jan 2017, 11:57

There are some descent safer low water mark's south Blackpool from the Pier right through to St Annes but be aware of the flood they can be fairly rapid ....But reasonably safe common sense is all that is required some places the tide runs faster than other's but that is the same anywhere ....

I suggest fishing day light to start with till you get to know the area but it can be productive for most spieces ....
Take a compass /whistle and fully charge phone just in case you never know what can happen.....

I've fished there over 40yr's and had some great low water fishing and some cracking fish ....

Good luck guy's and stay safe....John. :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 07 Jan 2017, 14:27

Good advice above :thumb: Recce, recce and recce again is my advice. It can change dramatically after a storm and year to year it's constantly evolving. Never fish LW alone at night. Travel light in good waders and jacket. Spare headtorch is a must. You are a long way from your car at places like the point, school etc. I carry 3 rigs and weights and 20 worms per rod and most of the weight in my small rucksack is coffee and butties! Watch any gullies and always retreat earlier than necessary. Plenty of line on a tame reel with ratchet too. Oh and a good dose of luck :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Return to North West Sea Fishing Reports