It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:05

livebait well

Discussion board for any boating related items from Boat maintenance to fishing techniques for anglers afloat.

livebait well

Postby willybendit » 27 Nov 2011, 00:49

last year i was thinking about making a livebait well for my boat after a few phone calls i was given two 30lts blue plastic drums so the work begins i poped round to the local garden center to have a look round the cold water section there i found the fittings & pipes i would need to get this up and running the first job was to work out where the well was going easy enough the helm is on the starboard so the well will go on the portside as i fish on my own a lot the boat needs to be balanced to mount the well i thought about a base as the drums are stored on top of each other a lid would make a good base then it was a case of pluming up the pipes on the inlet side i was going to use a 19mm skin fitting and on the outlet side i was going to use a 32mm with a mesh cover & tap to stop sandeel`s getting out i then fitted a rule 500gph bilge pump on the transome just below the water line then it was a case of running the power lead up to the dash switch along the way i checked the water flow to make sure more water could exit the well than was been pumped in this would give me a good cercalation of fresh water this was then tried out at sea i put 8 makkie in the well at any one time and kept them alive all day while tope fishing out of hornsea , the parts,
Image,

Image,

Image,

Image,

a quick test to see if all works,

Image,

job sorted and the first tope caught using live makkie,

Image tightlines Alain
willybendit

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: livebait well

Postby TerryG » 27 Nov 2011, 01:15

That's a great idea Alain :thumb: :thumb: , :gp: :gp: :gp: :gp:
Terry 9T's

Postby Rushy » 27 Nov 2011, 02:12

Brilliant tip Alain, and thanks for sharing :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby Padsta Tel » 27 Nov 2011, 06:38

Good post great idea. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :gp: :gp: :gp: :gp:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby lee » 13 Jan 2012, 13:42

I'll be at our garden centre this weekend!!! Looks exactly as I want to do
Hardcore Addict

Re: live bait well

Postby robo » 13 Jan 2012, 15:05

all i use is 2 x 5 gallon plastic drums site one inside the other the inner one drill about 1000 ish holes in it make it like a colander, fill with water when the bait needs aerating lift the inner drum up and down 4 to 5 times it will keep any bait alive for hours with sand eels you need to change the water every couple of hours if its a hot day, its easy one holds the inner bucket in the sea while your mate refills the other one
Hardcore Addict

Return to Boat Fishing Information