It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:46

Lepe Beach hampshireThorney PB

South East Sea fishing Forum Covering Kent and Essex - Southend On Sea, Margate, Ramsgate, Deal, Dover, Folkstone

Lepe Beach hampshireThorney PB

Postby skatenchips » 23 Nov 2016, 10:53

Some venues have mixed memories but Lepe Beach was my 1st place to get afloat circa 1970 as a 10 year old on my uncles small open boat with its cuddy on the front housing the all important gas fired grill.
300 yds out and we are soon pulling aboard my first feather caught mackerel and not long after he has cooked up some grilled macky fillets with crusty bread ....and boy were they tasty.
The beach though has never seen me catch a Ray on my infrequent visits be it wrong tide,too much weed or the doggies getting to the bait first......

so yet again last night I arrive to the tail end of the recent storm still blowing up Southampton waterway with rain coming and going but after an hour in the traffic I was determined to give it a go,and after getting to the suggested spot to try I'm soon casting out squid on 1 rod with macky and bluey wrap on the other........

mid evening the tips are still as the saga disco boat arrived better known as one of the liners that go from Southampton to sunnier waters........

LOW WATER was around 11 ish and once the new tide started to flood I got some attention on the squid rig from the usual suspects and ovet the next hour I had 4 puppies..........

a fresh bluey /mack bait was cast short to around 50 yds and it was this that soon had some attention
at 1am this morning with a steady pull down I was hopeful a Ray was being nosy....
the tip sprung back so I lifted into a dead weight,now this bin top wasn't budging but after some pressure it started to ease toward me,after a few mins I can see the familiar Ray eyes shining back at me in my headlight ,,,so now the Ol tickers thumping hard till I could reach in the water and wing out my 1st Thornback Ray from Lepe Beach........

once the 3/0 was removed and the usual faffing about of setting up timed camera shots in the dark
I'm holding my 1st Thorny from Lepe @ 6lb 7oz ..............well chuffed and amazed at its wonderful markings !!!!!!

got him back in the water quick as I could and continued till 2am this morning but that was it for me.

so after all them years I've finaly had a Thorny from Lepe Beach and a new species for the season .......well happy. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Lepe Beach hampshireThorney PB

Postby sharpey » 23 Nov 2016, 11:51

Top report once more sir, great planning and brilliant result. That is a pretty fish..!! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby rob f » 23 Nov 2016, 13:09

Cracking session and pics mate :clap: :clap: :clap:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby liphook » 23 Nov 2016, 16:09

That is a nicely marked thorny :thumb: You're having a good season for PBs mate. Keep up the good work :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby pros » 23 Nov 2016, 17:46

Great work Gazza.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Padsta Tel » 24 Nov 2016, 20:00

Nice read mate glad you got a ray.

15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby tarmacduck » 24 Nov 2016, 21:25

Beautiful fish and well done setting up the photo single handed.
Everything is OK
Hardcore Addict

Return to South East Sea fishing Reports