It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:55

Last one for a bit

North East Sea fishing forum - Fishing reports Covering Yorkshire , Tyne & Wear, Durham, Cleveland and Northumberland - South Shields Amble Tynemouth Scarborough Filey Grimsby Whitby Bridlington

Last one for a bit

Postby BigBadCol » 22 Feb 2015, 18:05

Well today's trip had been planned since the February meeting due to the fact that it was my only weekend off before the open. Plan was to go look at low water at a few marks I'm thinking about next week. However I kinda know where I'm off next week so this wasn't necessary. It was a nice lazy day as the tide wasn't until 1809hrs, Dave still turned up early n we hit the beach bang on low water. Now I've fished the Holderness enough to know that only a few marks I fish produce fish from low up for the 1st 3hours of the flood. So I wasn't expecting any action until 1500hrs ish. Right enough we had a very slow 3hours, but it was nice to chuck a lead out 3-4 times before 1500hrs.

On or around 1600hrs I had my 1st slack line bite of the day resulting in this,
About the 3lb mark.
Shortly after I had another good bite and landed this beauty.
Yes by now Dave had refused to take pictures of me n my cod, I mean he'd only been blanking the last 2 trips and this one was now 3/4 gone lol. Next thing I knew Dave was running to his stock still rod and claimed 'What a bite' to be fair there was a good bend in his rod while he was reeling in and a monster 'Blank saving' 2oz rockling was beached.
By now due to the 6.6m tide we were both up on the ramp, I managed a couple of tings and again Dave struggled with a dab this time. About 30mins later I had another slack liner and pulled in my 3rd cod of the day.

It went quiet for me then however I did see the bite on Daves rod and once Dave started reeling in I could see this was a prolly going to be the best fish of the day! So I began to sing " I'm gunna come over to Dave and help him lose this fish doo daa doo Ooooh yeah Dave you're gunna lose this fi.......... Oops he did. So I quietly walked back to my peg. Then Daves fingers swelled up to enormous sizes as the next photo shows.
Dave was a little bit shall we say not calm lol. Then again he jumps up and ran to his rod and at long last connected with a cod of enormous size (remember his swollen fingers)
They say a picture speaks a thousand words, I'm not convinced.
It then really did go quiet until 2030hrs. Well say say quiet, Dave was jumping up and down screaming and shouting 'I flipping hate night time I can't cast for toffee' to be fair Dave you can't cast in the day light either. After sorting out 2 of his birds nests His fingers really did swell up and lock with the cold/arthritis. As I sat down at about 2030hrs my rod sprung back and I shouted at sulky to get down on the beach n fetch me my fish. Shortly after my 4th and last cod came up the beach.

We called it a day at 2100hrs due to Dave being cold and sulking. Would we have had more.... sorry would I have had anymore cod? Who knows?
A great day out as it always is, no doubt next time we go the tables will turn and it will be my turn to be ridiculed, but that's what it's all about 'The Criac' of the MADSAC massive.

The all important information is : All my cod came to short Snooded (30cm) fixed pats, best bait straight blow lug, casting range both long and short. I've no idea how Dave fished, but today it didn't work so well.
For those reading on the MADSAC website the cod table is updated and I have achieved my goal in getting over 20 cod before the open weekend. I've had 10 or 11 trips I think, so that's an average of 2 cod per trip, so I'm well happy seeing as it's a 200+ mile round trip, and last year I managed about 6 all season lol.
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Last one for a bit

Postby rob f » 22 Feb 2015, 20:07

great report and photos well done everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: :champ:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby Ray master » 27 Feb 2015, 20:13

well done lad's,great report n pic's :thumb:
Almost an Addict

Postby Jammygit » 27 Feb 2015, 21:38

Top pictures and report mate :clap: poor Dave :lol: :dummy:
:gp:
Do or do not, there is no try..... YODA
padsta's lovechild

Return to North East Sea Fishing Reports