It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:37

Last day on the Avon.....

General Coarse fishing and Carp forum.

Last day on the Avon.....

Postby skatenchips » 16 Mar 2018, 08:12

The last day saw my original venue chocked full of anglers so went downstream to lower winkton an open expanse of marshland you have to get across before arriving at the river,id been using a short cut over the boggy areas during the summer...no probs but the rains had seen these become full of water,so I knew it would be a tad splodgy underfoot,600yds in and I'm up to me ankles and the usual arrangement of rod bags and back packs was driving me ever deeper into it like a feckin tent peg,with 100yds to go I was now in a bit of a panic as what seemed a fun idea to use this short cut now found me up to me knees in my waders and you know the score the more you try to move it sucks you in.....so last day of the season the remains of Gazza is the top of his rod bag ..the rest is part of the bog.....can't deny.....the blood pressure peaked as I had to throw my kit off my shoulders and lean on my chair and use it to drag myself forward ..now using both hands with it shovelling my way on only now and again stopping to pull me waders back on my feet.....feck this.....laid forward and now smothered in everything the bog had on offer that day I managed to scoop me way out of it......just laid on the edge thinking stupid sod....my whole kit was shiiite...so wiped it down best I could and in true tradition.....feck it lets go fishing.

The river here the last mile or two before it gets into Christchurch,very open to the elements and today no different with cold wind blowing across it.

stick and maggot soon had a few small chub and Dace lined up,but one o them days where the peg was full of similar sized fish regardless of feeding patterns,

mini trout just to be different,its also full of sea trout and salmon to 30lb use this as a means to get upstream....

took a walk along the river and saw a pair of Marsh Harriers working the meadow opposite rare as hens teeth it was a lovely sight to see.....

nuffin bigger than a 1lb 8oz

last light and I actually get something over 2lb that fought back a bit....

in the fading light I could see a Tawny owl going up and down the river,no noise just a beautiful visual

darkness saw me change to maggot feeder down the side and I then had 4 Roach best going 12oz..so not the finish id hoped but at leat I had some redfins after a steady steam of chub and dace to keep me busy.

had enough by 8pm and used the path to get back to the car ..had enough of wet boggy marsh for one day.....

another season ends with a booty to start but at least I had a few fish from this last day session on the river Avon.

oh well 3 months off.............be back soon.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Last day on the Avon.....

Postby sharpey » 16 Mar 2018, 10:38

skatenchips wrote:The last day saw my original venue chocked full of anglers so went downstream to lower winkton an open expanse of marshland you have to get across before arriving at the river,id been using a short cut over the boggy areas during the summer...no probs but the rains had seen these become full of water,so I knew it would be a tad splodgy underfoot,600yds in and I'm up to me ankles and the usual arrangement of rod bags and back packs was driving me ever deeper into it like a feckin tent peg,with 100yds to go I was now in a bit of a panic as what seemed a fun idea to use this short cut now found me up to me knees in my waders and you know the score the more you try to move it sucks you in.....so last day of the season the remains of Gazza is the top of his rod bag ..the rest is part of the bog.....can't deny.....the blood pressure peaked as I had to throw my kit off my shoulders and lean on my chair and use it to drag myself forward ..now using both hands with it shovelling my way on only now and again stopping to pull me waders back on my feet.....feck this.....laid forward and now smothered in everything the bog had on offer that day I managed to scoop me way out of it......just laid on the edge thinking stupid sod....my whole kit was shiiite...so wiped it down best I could and in true tradition.....feck it lets go fishing.

The river here the last mile or two before it gets into Christchurch,very open to the elements and today no different with cold wind blowing across it.

stick and maggot soon had a few small chub and Dace lined up,but one o them days where the peg was full of similar sized fish regardless of feeding patterns,

mini trout just to be different,its also full of sea trout and salmon to 30lb use this as a means to get upstream....

took a walk along the river and saw a pair of Marsh Harriers working the meadow opposite rare as hens teeth it was a lovely sight to see.....

in the fading light I could see a Tawny owl going up and down the river,no noise just a beautiful visual

darkness saw me change to maggot feeder down the side and I then had 4 Roach best going 12oz..so not the finish id hoped but at leat I had some redfins after a steady steam of chub and dace to keep me busy.

had enough by 8pm and used the path to get back to the car ..had enough of wet boggy marsh for one day.....

another season ends with a booty to start but at least I had a few fish from this last day session on the river Avon.

Gazza

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby sharpey » 16 Mar 2018, 10:43

sharpey wrote:
skatenchips wrote:The last day saw my original venue chocked full of anglers so went downstream to lower winkton an open expanse of marshland you have to get across before arriving at the river,id been using a short cut over the boggy areas during the summer...no probs but the rains had seen these become full of water,so I knew it would be a tad splodgy underfoot,600yds in and I'm up to me ankles and the usual arrangement of rod bags and back packs was driving me ever deeper into it like a feckin tent peg,with 100yds to go I was now in a bit of a panic as what seemed a fun idea to use this short cut now found me up to me knees in my waders and you know the score the more you try to move it sucks you in.....so last day of the season the remains of Gazza is the top of his rod bag ..the rest is part of the bog.....can't deny.....the blood pressure peaked as I had to throw my kit off my shoulders and lean on my chair and use it to drag myself forward ..now using both hands with it shovelling my way on only now and again stopping to pull me waders back on my feet.....feck this.....laid forward and now smothered in everything the bog had on offer that day I managed to scoop me way out of it......just laid on the edge thinking stupid sod....my whole kit was shiiite...so wiped it down best I could and in true tradition.....feck it lets go fishing.

Gazza

Not sure what’s going on here in the comment field, but.....you silly old sod, nearly losing your gear in a bog..?? I don’t know.......however, good to see you took the safe way back..!! And a bag full of fish to finish with. Might have been better had our weather not been so crap, but that’s out of our control I suppose..... enjoy your off season, I get the impression you’ll be wetting a line somewhere in the not too distant future. Cheers..!!

There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby shacky » 17 Mar 2018, 11:16

Well done Gazza :clap: Super session, getting the last maggot drowning adventure out of the way. Now down to the serious stuff....Sea fishing :thumb: :gp:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Return to Coarse and Carp