It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:31

Hints and tips for fishing wrecks on the drift.

Fishing tutorials and "how to" section. A forum for members to share their angling hints and tips.....

Hints and tips for fishing wrecks on the drift.

Postby JohnSLocker » 16 Sep 2018, 11:23

Planned to take advantage of the neap tides and headed out for a go at some wrecks I’d checked out on a recent sharking trip. What a day to remember. Here’s the vid. A fantastic PB and hopefully a few hints and tips in there to help you catch yours.
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Hints and tips for fishing wrecks on the drift.

Postby DaveH » 18 Sep 2018, 15:33

Well done John massive ling,thanks for the tips
Trainee Addict

Postby JohnSLocker » 29 Sep 2018, 21:22

DaveH wrote:Well done John massive ling,thanks for the tips

No problem mate. I have done a video on how to make my "Wrecking rig" you'll be able to find it on my channel if you haven't see it already. ;)
Hardcore Addict

Postby Weebarra » 17 Jan 2019, 22:51

Superb John, sets me up for Scotland later this summer :thumb: :fish:
Hardcore Addict

Postby JohnSLocker » 17 Jan 2019, 23:00

Weebarra wrote:Superb John, sets me up for Scotland later this summer :thumb: :fish:

Glad I could help mate. It’s much better fished on neap tides. If you’re up Scotland/Shetland where the truly big fish live you could try using a pirk instead of a lead. Just be careful. You don’t want 3 on at the same time.lol
Hardcore Addict

Postby Weebarra » 29 Jan 2019, 17:39

:thumb: Cheers John. Younger in cheek, I did use a pink on the bottom last summer in Scotland and I hooked Mother Earth at least 6 times and lost the rigs on each occasion.

I used to on major trips on Royal Charlotte and Portia with Mick @ Jim Coker, in th3 lat3 90s and early 2000s, and was the best cod fishing alive ever had. I don’t think it’s as good now as then and Shetland, and Norway seem to be the places for monsters nowadays.

Anyway maybe a few tips ma8, on home made jigs and parks in the future.

:D Cheers John, and Tight Lines. If I visit my sister on the south coast any time, Pompey way, 7 min drive from Langston Harbour, Ill give you a shout time and weather permitting etc. There’s a few good boats that go into the English Channel.

:fishing: :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby JohnSLocker » 30 Jan 2019, 09:51

Weebarra wrote::thumb: Cheers John. Younger in cheek, I did use a pink on the bottom last summer in Scotland and I hooked Mother Earth at least 6 times and lost the rigs on each occasion.

I used to on major trips on Royal Charlotte and Portia with Mick @ Jim Coker, in th3 lat3 90s and early 2000s, and was the best cod fishing alive ever had. I don’t think it’s as good now as then and Shetland, and Norway seem to be the places for monsters nowadays.

Anyway maybe a few tips ma8, on home made jigs and parks in the future.

:D Cheers John, and Tight Lines. If I visit my sister on the south coast any time, Pompey way, 7 min drive from Langston Harbour, Ill give you a shout time and weather permitting etc. There’s a few good boats that go into the English Channel.

:fishing: :thumb:

I am planning on doing a vid on jigs and pirks soon so I’ll see what info I can put in for you. I do have a bit of a solution that caused less losses ;)

I’m based down in Cornwall but do have a friend with a charter boat in gosport. Phenomenal boat and skipper, let me know and I’ll put you in touch. ;)
Hardcore Addict

Postby Weebarra » 31 Jan 2019, 21:31

:thumb: Cheers John, appreciated. :thumb: Look forward to the pirk and jig video. Tight :clap: :fishing: :fish: Lines and cheers :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Weebarra » 20 Feb 2019, 21:22

:thumb: John, I hope you and the family are doing well. The year is flying by and spring and summer are not far away.

In terms of fishing purely for herrings, do you make your own micro glitter, flash lures , sabbiki type lures?

I’ve caught herrings only by chance when going for mackerel, andoften get some big launch. As I like herrings to eat and also top bait, this year I was thinking of purposely targeting these fish during part of future boat sessions.

Thanks ma8. Tight Lines! :thumb: :fish:
Hardcore Addict

Postby JohnSLocker » 01 Mar 2019, 09:11

Weebarra wrote::thumb: John, I hope you and the family are doing well. The year is flying by and spring and summer are not far away.

In terms of fishing purely for herrings, do you make your own micro glitter, flash lures , sabbiki type lures?

I’ve caught herrings only by chance when going for mackerel, andoften get some big launch. As I like herrings to eat and also top bait, this year I was thinking of purposely targeting these fish during part of future boat sessions.

Thanks ma8. Tight Lines! :thumb: :fish:

The year is flying by it’s crazy!!! Funny you should ask as I have a video going up tonight showing how I make my own feathers. For herring and pilchards simply scale them right down to size 6 hooks and smaller. Or simply buy the small sabikis haha. You may catch the odd one on mackerel feathers but you will have far far more luck for herring and pilchards on small sabikis. :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Return to How to.... Fishing tutorials