It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:26

Heysham Bass Nursery Areas Latest

If given a vote would you vote in favour or against the proposed new Bye-law?

In Favour
78%
Against
22%

Total votes : 68

Re: Heysham Bass Nursery Areas Latest

Postby Paul » 07 Apr 2012, 13:04

phill 85 wrote:the real fishman don't want this to happen

I don't think this is the case at all Phill. The Poll is currently at 23 for and 4 against.... ??? ???
Solar powered fisherman

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Postby Jay » 08 Apr 2012, 11:00

I'm all up for fish conservation but wouldn't be up for a complete ban on shore fishing, I rather enjoy the action of spinning with my lures at the end of the outflows. I don't keep anything unless its in size and if that means returning my full catch of the day then so be it.
theyre not worth filleting when theyre small anyway!

boat ban yes
net ban yes
... shore spinning no

just my 2p...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to spin for bass and you just gained a best mate for life!
Trainee Addict

Postby paulc97 » 09 Apr 2012, 18:15

Having read the proposal for the new byelaw, I can only see one outcome; that it will be introduced, and I would fully support it even if all it did was stop the netting of fish in that area.
Reading of the Ocean Edge guy and the tarpaulin hauls just makes me angry, and anyone fishing in this area and taking undersized fish for commercial gain should be prosecuted.
I don’t know for certain, but there are probably “humanitarian reasons” spouted by the politically correct brigade that might mean video recording of offenders was not legally accepted evidence of laws being broken, but filming any illegal activities would be one way of preventing officials from being thwarted by the long visible approach to the “anglers”.
In addition, if the bylaw is made official, as Bill Bodger says, it has to be reviewed on a regular basis. I see no reason why the area can’t be closed for a year or two then reopened (but not to netting). This method seems to work well with the cockle beds and there must be some form of policing done to ensure the beds remain untouched. Surely the nursery area could be just another location to monitor by the same officials – with cameras!
Trainee Addict

Postby phill 85 » 10 Apr 2012, 16:49

wording was wrong again lol as all ready said a complete ban is bit harsh as the old wooden jetty falls into the no fishing area.. I am on on the border line with this one as if helps the fish stocks then all for it but what about catch and relase only would this help this could be another option that could be looked at
those who dare wins
Crabpaste

Postby Paul » 10 Apr 2012, 17:07

Trouble is Phill i think it has gone far beyond that stage.

If it was catch and release, or even a bag limit - We would be in the same position as we are now. People are currently not supposed to take bass under 36cm, but they still do and ignore the rules, and get away with it.

Understand what you are saying about the wooden jetty though...it would be a shame to lose it, and i don't think stopping people fishing there will help conservation of Bass in any way shape or form.

However, the benefit of including the area it does would be that they could keep the gate locked at fishers, and catch anyone coming off at the ocean edge end ??? If they were allowed to fish the jetty that would be the excuse every time. "I was only fishing the jetty mister"
Solar powered fisherman

Postby phill 85 » 10 Apr 2012, 18:19

about the gate been locked I am sure this happends because as most people know i fished the jetty a few time early on in the year and the gate was open then as soon as that 1st early run off bass came that gate was quickly locked.. and i have been saying this was the reason because it happend last year.. but can u blame them for locking the gate and for me it makes perfect sense so that if anyone is taking undersize fish can be done than so be it ...
those who dare wins
Crabpaste

Postby Blanko » 16 Apr 2012, 12:21

31/6 and 83% in favour-looks pretty comprehensive thus far. Guess the vast majority would rather have no fishing than irresponsible fishing,shows what a dash decent lot of chaps (& chapesses???) we all are! :thumb:
On the outflow note,only mid last week my kids + I talked to a lad coming off there across the nature reserve bit when we were being taken for a drag by our demented Springer Spaniel :crazy: he'd caught 11 apparently (the angler that is-the dog would have had far more) but only taken 2. Which he proudly showed to the kids as 'theyre well over the limit (which he thought was 25cm)...... I'm havin' these for me tea tonight' I replied that he wouldn't be wanting any company then :bleh:
2015 total : 26 sessions 188 fish
Species : Whiting,Codling,Dab,Flounder,Plaice,Dogfish,Bass,Eel,
King Of the Plaice
King Of the Plaice

Postby Padsta Tel » 16 Apr 2012, 20:54

[i] Hate to bang on about this subject but in other parts of the country a nursery area means no fishing why should Heysham be any different even taking in size fish is not allowed if you catch a bass in any other area is more of an achievement ask Daz from Blackpool.
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby thegentlegiant » 16 Apr 2012, 21:20

Padsta Tel wrote:[i] Hate to bang on about this subject but in other parts of the country a nursery area means no fishing why should Heysham be any different even taking in size fish is not allowed if you catch a bass in any other area is more of an achievement ask Daz from Blackpool.

I have to agree, a full ban should be imposed on the basis its not possible to police it properly, If it was said only pleasure anglers can fish then who is gonna check everyone who goes there and comes off there to ensure no fish are in bags?

It has to be a complete ban then its easier to police the area, Its a shame people take fish from the area at the end of the outflow as it ruins it for sport anglers. If people did not take these fish then all could enjoy the sport of bass fishing.

I personally do not and have never fished on the outflows and have no reason to fish the area, bass can be caught around most of the bay, and its better to hunt the fish down then goto the breading ground and get an easy catch :bleh: :bleh:

(this opinion is of my own and in no way a Representative of the shop I work in, I voice this opinion as a personal one)
Hardcore Addict

Postby Blanko » 16 Apr 2012, 23:00

thegentlegiant wrote:
Padsta Tel wrote:[i] Hate to bang on about this subject but in other parts of the country a nursery area means no fishing why should Heysham be any different even taking in size fish is not allowed if you catch a bass in any other area is more of an achievement ask Daz from Blackpool.

I have to agree, a full ban should be imposed on the basis its not possible to police it properly, If it was said only pleasure anglers can fish then who is gonna check everyone who goes there and comes off there to ensure no fish are in bags?

It has to be a complete ban then its easier to police the area, Its a shame people take fish from the area at the end of the outflow as it ruins it for sport anglers. If people did not take these fish then all could enjoy the sport of bass fishing.

I personally do not and have never fished on the outflows and have no reason to fish the area, bass can be caught around most of the bay, and its better to hunt the fish down then goto the breading ground and get an easy catch :bleh: :bleh:

(this opinion is of my own and in no way a Representative of the shop I work in, I voice this opinion as a personal one)

:gp: :gp: Rockin' that one :gp: :gp:
It IS like shooting fish in a barrel at times,I've walked away a bit red faced + sheepish after a slightly sick session when I'd caught far too many (ALL returned I hasten to add) before giving up early + walking off with a less than satisfied feeling,its almost spoiled my Bassing if I'm honest. Lobbing a bloody Redgill 15 yards,hoik out a schoolie, lob it back + do it again. The whole white Redgill ONLY thing is a bit tiresome too,to be honest I'd say its OK for a cheap thrill if you've never caught on a lure before,youll NOT fail in a flippin NURSERY! I think its time to close the doors,let the nursery be what it should be and get down to some serious Bass fishing where there's some actual effort + sense of achievement at the end of it.
2015 total : 26 sessions 188 fish
Species : Whiting,Codling,Dab,Flounder,Plaice,Dogfish,Bass,Eel,
King Of the Plaice
King Of the Plaice

PreviousNext

Return to Angling Politics and Conservation