It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:59

Help from Gerry's

Tried something new? Or had a product that has stood the test of time?? Why not write a review to help other with future purchases!!

Help from Gerry's

Postby cosierat » 20 Sep 2015, 16:16

Not sure if this is in the right plaice or any use to the experienced readers.
I do not fish for the table, freezer and neighbours cat so was concerned that I was gut hooking too many flat fish. I manage to return most with no sign of blood from the gills and/or mouth but as I am concerned at their chance of survival without lasting damage I popped into see John at Gerry's for advise. After a good old chin wag I came away with a two pronged method of possibly alleviating the problem. FIRST add a 18mm POPPER BEAD to the rod end of the attractor beads then crimp to make a stopper to discourage the flat fish from fully sucking the bait down.
SECOND use the MUSTAD ultra point NORDIC BEND 444NP-BU hooks to allow easy removal of the hook if gut hooked.
Tied a 3 hook flapper with the POPPER BEADS and MUSTAD hooks and gave them a test drive this morning. All Plaice caught were lip hooked. Coincidence or not the POPPER system worked. Time will tell how efficient it is. As for the hooks I DO NOT KNOW as all were lip hooked.
Thanks again all the staff at Gerry's for your help and advise
2017 Species Hunt, Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Whiting, Dab, Cod, Bass, Doggie, Tope, Eel, Starry
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Help from Gerry's

Postby Slanester » 20 Sep 2015, 17:00

Good on you mate, taking the effort to try and prevent fish waste. Not for the table,so want em back for another day,hopefully.
Another option is to pass a thin piece of carbon / plastic/ bristle through the hook eye(after tying it on) The result is a T Bar effect which the fish cannot swallow,lip hook every time.
The only negatives are 1. Only works for flat fish. 2. Worm baits have to be on the small side,as nothing can pass further up than the hook eye.
Forgot to say,well done with the Plaice session.
Hardcore Addict

Postby grumpyppops1 » 20 Sep 2015, 17:57

Interesting stuff tony you old plaice bagger you
Hardcore Addict

Location: Bolton,the town without a sea(but very expensive trains)

Postby cosierat » 20 Sep 2015, 18:05

Thanks Slanester, interesting, will give it some thought
2017 Species Hunt, Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Whiting, Dab, Cod, Bass, Doggie, Tope, Eel, Starry
Hardcore Addict

Postby grandadruss » 20 Sep 2015, 18:11

[quote="cosierat"]Not sure if this is in the right plaice or any use to the experienced readers.
I do not fish for the table, freezer and neighbours cat so was concerned that I was gut hooking too many flat fish. I manage to return most with no sign of blood from the gills and/or mouth but as I am concerned at their chance of survival without lasting damage I popped into see John at Gerry's for advise.

Nice post Tony.
Plenty of stuff on here about nets, nursery areas etc so good to see some info on fish care after they're caught. :thumb:
I'll look into the popper bead idea,sounds good.
Bet the neighbours cat thinks your a two hat though :lmao:
:gp: :gp:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby Ray master » 23 Sep 2015, 21:52

Cicle hooks sometimes avoid deep hooking,worth a try bud.
Never heard of the bead method b4,intresting one that :thumb:
Almost an Addict

Postby cosierat » 24 Sep 2015, 09:05

Thanks for that info. We did consider circular hooks but thought the soft ones to give a better percentage of removal success. I tend to use the circular hooks as pennel so will make up a couple for experimenting with.
Hardcore Addict

Postby cosierat » 09 Oct 2015, 07:56

Forgive me for blathering on, preaching to the converted, teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, whatever. After a couple of sessions of not being able to get fish onto the shore I am having a major rethink on the popper beads and soft hook idea. Mentioned in the previous (Help from Gerry's) post. The beads do stop the flat fish ingesting the hook too deep, but that creates a problem for inexperienced unskilful me. It requires a far more skilful method of striking than I have. I tend to either pull the hook out(too hard) or the hook not set firmly enough (too soft). Resulting in a lot of missed bites plus losing fish on retrieval. The soft hook idea is also being re-evaluated as I lost 2 very nice fish, close to the shore, due to the hooks straightening.
THE POSITIVE SIDE. :champ: I set out to try and find a way of returning flat fish unharmed. Well I have certainly achieved that, but it would have been nice to land and measure them before they were released back to grow. :crazy:
Hardcore Addict

Postby Slanester » 09 Oct 2015, 09:11

Sounds like it's time to try the T bar set up,no need to strike and can use std sz1 / 2 Aberdeens. :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Postby cosierat » 09 Oct 2015, 13:15

Hi Slanester. I think the T-bar set up was mentioned to me by John in Gerry's, I am interested so would like to see what it entails. We could meet up at a time and place convenient to you and let me have a look at one, cheers. At the moment I am going to move the beads about 5cm further away from the hooks and try and use the circular hooks recommended by Rayman.
Hardcore Addict

Next

Return to Fishing Tackle Reviews