It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:01

Field Testing Hawaiian Custom Rods By Okuma!

Spotted something new on the market?? Want advice on which rod or reel?? Post in here.

Field Testing Hawaiian Custom Rods By Okuma!

Postby Scuba Chris » 18 Sep 2018, 19:57

Casting Okuma's Ulua & Menpachi Rods!

It's important to develop faith in your equipment. To be positive that your choices in line strength, hooks, swivels, brands combined will result in a rig that'll be a part of who you are & how you fish. Took me awhile to put together new combos. Today i went to a familiar area to test how everything "meshes" together.

Early morning there was no wind so i was drop shotting baits only 30-40yds out using 3oz banks on the Ulua "GT" rod rated MH at 7-10oz. No problem. When the winds picked-up i was throwing 6oz directly into the wind with good distances. So now i now if i used heavier weights that my distance will be good even casting into the wind. I forgot my wrist brace since i badly injured my wrist so casting was a "painful" joy.

I also used new extended length sand spikes with beveled edges. Mustad Circle Hooks, ball bearing swivels, tried different lead weights & leader set-ups. I was very happy that everything was working well. The Tesoro 12S Star Drag has 65lb braid backing to monofilament top shot. Tried both MH & H 13' Ulua Rods & my other Tesoro Star Drag that had all 80lb Braid. I also used all 3 Menpachi Rods of 10'7", 12' & 13' with varying casting weights.

It's good to know the limitations of your gear & when to use certain lengths & strengths for different applications. Now i can go to dangerous locations to night casting on my own again. Still nursing a very bad wrist but over my concussion. Now i'm familiar with my new rigs & hopefully will put them to the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnBiehceuQ
Attachments
Cover.JPG
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to Tackle Talk