It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:18

Down South for a change

South coast sea fishing forum - Covering Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset - Weymouth Bournemouth Portsmouth Brighton Southampton

Down South for a change

Postby BigBadCol » 23 Sep 2015, 12:04

Day 1

Before I went away to Scotland I had decided that because Laura was busy all weekend I would head off somewhere totally new for a few days, Chesil beach was my chosen destination. A place I’ve only been to once before. During my time in Scotland there were 100’s of reports ont t’internet of some great catches coming off Chesil.

I was heading off there Friday morning after we got back but at the last minute I realised Pete (Chippie) didn’t work Sun,Mon,Tues. So I gave him a bell, to which he replied “we can take the motorhome” awesome I thought. He had visitors Saturday so we couldn’t get off until Sunday. I’d ordered some fresh blacks from Gaz at http://www.crabnlug.co.uk/ as always he had some extra so we were in for some fresh bait.

Sunday arrived and Pete turned up at mine for 0930hrs and we hit the road shortly afterwards. We had a great run down with no traffic or incidents apart from every time we saw some amazing wildlife at the side of the road I kept saying “And you told me not to bring the camera” we saw all sorts from red kites to muntjack deer. I’d also been telling Pete about how ‘easy’ the climb up the shingle was. We arrived at Ferry bridge about 1630hrs and it wasn’t until we started climbing the beach that Pete realised I wasn’t telling porkies about the climb. 1 step forward ½ a step back and this was without gear lol.

As we climbed over we were greeted with a flat calm sea and a few anglers about. So as you do we headed to the one that looked like he was a regular, and we were right he was a really informative chap from Taunton. Fishing either side of him were 2 of the England women’s sea angling team. After a brief chat we found out that there was not a lot of fish coming out, and a few places to try park the van up for the night. We then headed back to the van and for the 1st night we would fish Abbotsbury. A quick call to http://www.abbotsbury.co.uk/abbotsburyf ... /index.htm and we had some fresh rag worm also. First things first we had some tea in a local pub then headed off to the beach.

To say it was packed was a bloody understatement, (do people not work down here lol) we managed to find a spot just short of the dragons teeth and we were both in the water for 1800hrs. We both had bites from the off however we just couldn’t connect. Eventually I managed the 1st fish of the session in the form of a snotty eel (blank avoided). Meanwhile Pete was still missing fish and even watched an eel get off as he reeled in leaving the tell tail snot on his rig. As the sun set the bites were coming more often.

Then as darkness settled in I had the softest bite I’d ever seen, I wasn’t even sure if it was a bite. As I reeled in I could tell it had been a bite and I was rewarded with this my 1st of 2 strap congers and another new species for me ever.

This was the smaller of the 2 the second one came it at a whopping 15oz (who cares it’s a new fish). I was then starting to be plagued by poor cod and pouting but I didn’t mind I was catching fish. After a while Pete eventually joined the dance with a conger of his own slightly smaller than mine. Pete was also now into the pouting and poor cod. However I couldn’t tell the difference between the 2 so missed out on a new species in the form of poor cod. At about 0130hrs we called it a day and headed back to the van. I’m positive we didn’t walk that far to get to the mark; someone must have moved the world so we had a longer walk back lol.

Day 2

We both managed a good sleep in the van and after a hearty breakfast cooked by Pete we were off the West Bexington. On arrival things had changed ever so slightly over night in that the wind was now a brisk 20-30mph in yer face kinda wind with a bit of rain thrown in, it was horrible, the only good thing was that it was strangely warm. This picture does not do the waves justice they were probly twice as high as me at times (I’m 6’3”)

Besides the terrible conditions Pete managed to fluke out a little joey, which was the only fish of the session. We stuck it out for 4 hours and called it a day. Despite the rain and wind our spirits were still high and we were dry. The wind was coming from the SW so I thought we might be able to hide around Portland Bill where we had fished in 2008 with the club. Once there we could see that although there was no wind and it was very sheltered the sea was still big and the waves were crashing over the flat rock, so we had decided to hit the pub for an early tea. We parked in front of the old ferry terminus and headed in to town for a bite to eat, I had mussels in tomato, Chilli & Coriander sauce, and they were delicious. On the way back I was telling Pete about the mullet that swim along the wall very close to the beach, and sure enough on inspection there were a few swimming about. So we headed back to the van to get the spinning rods and light gear out. We had no luck but ended up on the Pier end where there were a few chaps fishing. They said they hadn’t caught much when we asked. Both Pete and myself dropped down the pier and had great fun catching wrasse, Pollack, whiting Poor cod (Pete claimed 1 this time for the hunt) & pouting. We weight a pouting as I’d seen there wasn’t a record in the club. I came in at a whopping 7oz lol. It was an absolute blast in total we managed 7 difference species without even trying. A lad who turned up even managed a Garfish (which gave me an idea for Tuesday morning). At about 2100hrs we headed back to the van to see what Chesil was like. After climbing back up the beach I (yes me who never says no) decided to call it a day, the sea was flatter but the wind was stronger and even more in your face. So we headed back to Abbotsbury for an early night.

Day 3 (well the morning of day 3)

I was so relived I’d made the decision NOT to fish Monday night because from the sound of the rain that came in the night it was not a good night to be out fishing a new venue, especially one as dangerous as Chesil. I was apparent one we got up Tuesday morning that the beach would have been uncomfortable, so we headed back to the pier to target a garfish and play with the minis. Out went the floats. While I was setting the other rod up my float disappeared and I was rewarded with my 1st ever garfish and Species No. 29 for the hunt.

The smile says it all, stupidly I threw it back before weighing it Doh ! Not to be out done Pete followed suite with his own Garfish. I wouldn’t let him weigh it cos I forgot to weigh mine lol. Next rod to bend was Pete’s with what was a stonking flounder of 1lb 3oz just short of the record, but a cracking fish.
I then bagged another garfish which was bigger than both the ones we caught at 13oz a brand new club record.

What was missing this session tho were the mini species we were having no luck down the pier at all. Again Pete’s big rod was the next to go and as it came in I saw it was a black bream, “it’s a bream” I shouted, “come on Pete we need this” for some reason Pete wanted to look also as he mustn’t have believed me, anyway the bream shook his head and threw the hook, Gutted for Pete, I was secretly happy as a black bream is one of my targets I’d set to catch before anything else this year. My big rod was the next to go and initially the way the fish fought it thought maybe a bream, however as the fish got closer I could see it was species No. 30 for the year a welcoming spotty plaice.

Not happy that Pete had lost his black bream I then accidentally smashed him right on the end of his nose with my 3oz ball weight lol. Don’t ask I’ve no idea how I managed that.

I then changed tactics and threw both rods out to try for my own black bream. Pete then started cheating using a 1200 hook Sabaki rig to try locating the minis that were there in numbers the previous night but were not here today. As the session drew to a close and it was time to head home the minis did have an appearance but there was nothing new to record. We called it a day @ 1300hrs and after a bit of dinner we headed home.

In summary not the best weekends fishing, but by no means the worst. I think it’s fair to say Pete kicked my arse in numbers of fish caught and different species, but then again he started 10 species behind me and is still 9 behind. I caught 2 species out of 3 that I wanted to catch this year Conger, Garfish, Black bream. I got to see a black bream so that’s not all bad.
For anyone who’s reading this who thinks I’m a bit ‘strange’ I am strange really but I’m also a fanatical land locked sea angler (120miles to my nearest coast) I have caught many species over the years but this year I set myself a target of 20 species in 6 months (I don’t get out much) I’ve now reached 30 in 5 months and a few are uncommon species to me so there is room for more if I get out again, which I hope to do so. I also wanted this year to get out of the rut of fishing the same venues and targeting the same species. I really wanted to challenge myself and change the way I generally fish (Not that I’m not happy with the way I fish I’m very single minded). I think so far I have achieved what I set out to do (apart from the Black bream) I know there’s one thing for certain I’ve bloody well enjoyed it and long may it continue.

Back to the weekend, a big thanks has to go out to Pete for; A, saying he’d come fishing in the 1st place, but most importantly; B for bringing the motorhome and doing all the driving and cooking and of course being great company. I promise next time I’ll let you know with more than 2 days’ notice, but then I’m an impulsive kinda a chap and just wake up some days and say bugger it I’m off fishing.

I hope you’ve all enjoyed reading my tales as much as I’ve enjoyed reporting them.

Tight lines

BigBadCol
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Down South for a change

Postby sharpey » 23 Sep 2015, 13:12

Excellent read Col, quite an adventure there lad..!! Sounded a bit like Matt and Mick on their Rod Race..!! Loved the story and the pics, oh to be young again...(-ish...)
Cheers.

Sharpey
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby shacky » 23 Sep 2015, 19:52

:gp: Top stuff Col :fishing: Looks like you had a great time down Sarth. :thumb:
<º))))><
Global Moderator

Postby grandadruss » 23 Sep 2015, 20:04

What a read Col.brill report mate.
Liked the start of it..set off 09.30 arrived 16.30,an easy run down.
7 feckin hours :lmao:
Grand old read and well done on all the new species.
Excellent :gp: :gp: :gp: :gp:
Species hunt 2016 Saltwater -
Species hunt 2016 Freshwater-Perch-Roach-Bream-Common Carp-Tench-Rudd-Gudgeon
King of Rossall

Postby BigBadCol » 23 Sep 2015, 21:25

Thank you all for your kind replies :cheer:
Hardcore Addict

Postby skatenchips » 24 Sep 2015, 09:24

Pleased to read you got down here and had a bash Col,yes mate,its a moody bassttered Chesil beach is but hey that's fishing isn't it.
Glad you got a few species from your adventures.

I've been twice in the last 10 days and missed the codling by 24 hours as the sea has calmed too quick and I end up fishing in clear water when the coddies like feeding in dirty soup.....still ill keep trying.

Nice report and piccies mate.

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 24 Sep 2015, 11:40

Crikey Col you certainly put the miles in :thumb: AAs very own roving reporter :yeah2:
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 24 Sep 2015, 12:37

another great report and some cracking photos , well done lads :clap: :clap: :clap: :champ: keep them coming :thumb:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby mac » 24 Sep 2015, 16:16

Great report again Col and a few more species on the list , not doing so bad for a landlubber :thumb:
(famous local match man)

Postby Ch1pp1e » 24 Sep 2015, 16:24

The weather changed in hours Sunday evening.
Monday morning

A tiring but enjoyable trip except for when Col hit me on the nose for catching more fish than him lol, we like our little adventures, it's good to try new venues :D
Trainee Addict

Return to South Coast Sea Fishing Reports