It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:37

Daveys Fishing Tackle vs Gerry's

Tried something new? Or had a product that has stood the test of time?? Why not write a review to help other with future purchases!!

Daveys Fishing Tackle vs Gerry's

Postby codless » 04 Sep 2014, 16:56

This is my experience of Daveys Fishing Tackle through eBay and as a comparison I will relay what happened when I had a problem with one of Gerry's products. I will start with Gerry's about a year ago I took my rod into Gerry's to have the top tip replaced, job done I went fishing and first cast the top tip came flying off. I was lucky and was still able to fish because I had two rods with me, a quick call to Gerry's to complain about the tip and an apology was immediately issued with a full refund and £15. of Gerry's vouchers to use in any future purchase. Apology and vouchers accepted and incident forgotten continue to buy supplies from Gerry's and even go as far as to recommend them because of the excellent customer service mistakes happen its what the supplier does about it that counts.
Now to D.F.S which is a north east based shop whom I have bought lots of gear from in the past and never had a problem that is until I purchased the Seamasters Slimline Stainless Steel Slim Jim bait pump. The pump arrived just over a week later which because it was free postage I thought fair enough not the best but it was free. I immediately took the pump down to Blackpool beach and attempted to pump ONE worm the suction wasn't the best but it was ok and I had been told that I would need to improve the rubber washers, So I returned home with the intention of replacing the washers and left positive feedback. About a week later I set off on my 3 week fishing tour of Scotland and took the pump with me. I fished a couple of spots without using the pump and duly arrived in a place called Caradale which at low water had a good sized bed of worm so out came the pump still without the new washers anyway after two attempted pumps the handle snapped clean off rendering the pump useless. I examined the broken handle and found that it was of the thinnest steel possible as thin as that stuff they use for shower curtains seriously it was that poor quality. I went back to my van and messaged Daveys fishing tackle through eBay. At this point I am going to write EXACT transcripts of the messages sent and received copied and pasted them so everyone can judge the context. Incidentally in the meantime I had purchased something else from daveys Fishing Tackle through eBay.
Message !. Me to Daveys
Hi there I bought a bait pump from you and have only used it twice and the handle has snapped. It has only been used in the Blackpool area on soft sand on one previous occasion and was cleaned and put away until this outing.
Regards Bill Anderson
Daveys Fishing Tackle replied
LIKE ANY RETAIL SHOP WE DO NOT REPLACE ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN USED AND BROKEN BY THE USER
That seemed a bit curt and rude to me so I sent another message
Dear daveys-fishing-tackle,

Unfortunately all retail shops have a duty to supply goods which are fit for purpose and this bait pump does not measure up the handle is made of substandard materials and the item is not as described I will await your reply before contacting eBay in order to escalate this complaint
Regards Billy
again I got what I considered to be a rude reply
Dear 4890billy,

YOU HAVE CLEARLY USED THE ITEM AS YOU HAVE STATED IT WAS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER AND YOU HAVE SNAPPED THE HANDLE USING IT THERE FOR THERE WILL BE NO REFUND OR EXCHANGE OK

- daveys-fishing-tackle
Ok? is it me or is this man arrogant and rude? So another message was sent

Firstly thank you for such a succinct reply which can be read as well as all communications concerning this item on several Facebook pages including Lancashire Sea fishing World Skate fishing and others also on Angling Addicts, Wirral Sea fishing , Anglers net, Total fishing and of course World Sea fishing forum and secondly at no point have I stated that it worked perfectly?? Did you actually read my message? It states I used this pump ONCE and cleaned it and put it away to use on an upcoming month long fishing trip around the whole coast of mainline Britain which of course will also have a blog at the end of it and obviously your outstanding customer service will play a major part and will include many pictures of the thin ill fitting rusty handle and of course a full transcript of ALL correspondence.
I will pursue this matter further on my return through eBay PayPal and the small claims court if necessary as I refuse to be cheated by retailers who think because an item costs £30 and a small claims case costs £35 that the consumer will write it off OK
Bill Anderson

-
That brought this reply
YOU HAVE USED THE ITEM AND SNAPPED THE HANDLE THEREFORE THERE WILL BE NO REFUND OR EXCHANGE

- daveys-fishing-tackle
I was leaving it at that at this stage and was going to deal with it on my return from Scotland, At this point the other items I had bought arrived and I left the following feedback, again copied and pasted.
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER INFERIOR PRODUCTS AT INFLATED PRICES
this feedback was followed by a message
Dear 4890billy,

CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY YOU HAVE LEFT ME NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

- daveys-fishing-tackle
I sure can so I replied

BECAUSE OF YOUR DREADFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ATTITUDE WHEN YOU SELL AN INFERIOR PRODUCT, SEE UPCOMING REVIEWS ON ANGLING ADDICTS WIRRALL SEA FISHING, WORLD SEA FISHING , LANCASHIRE SEA FISHING, NW DONKERS ETC. EXPLANATION GIVEN OK

- 4890billy
this got a wonderful well thought out professional intelligent answer
Dear 4890billy,

what a prat ok

- daveys-fishing-tackle
I love to read comments from intellectually challenged businessmen who clearly have problems expressing their masculinity in their private lives and compensate with complete abandon whilst typing to anonymous keyboard adversaries (if you are reading this daveys that means you are actually the PRAT and I apologise for using words of more than one syllable which obviously makes it difficult for you to understand.
I then received this unsolicited message from whichever internet warrior mans the shops keyboard.
Dear 4890billy,

ps i will be watching and will take legal action if needbe ok bud

- daveys-fishing-tackle
I obviously replied to this with the following message

See you in court

- 4890billy
This was followed by the last message received
Dear 4890billy,

get a grip kid

- daveys-fishing-tackle

I will at some stage ask my daughter to upload the pictures of the faulty pump and the pictures of the flimsy handle which instead of having repaired I will be keeping as is until such time that a civil case can be organised and brought to a satisfactory conclusion.
This is all the communications between myself and this cheating internet shop and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences when trying to resolve a problem with Daveys Fishing Tackle?
I have not finished with this matter yet I refuse to be treated like that by a shop assistant who obviously has no customer service skills and thinks that a customer with a genuine complaint must be trying to con him because in my experience people who immediately assume that they are being lied to and conned are often liars and conmen. I would like to add for Daveys Fishing Tackles benefit please feel free to quote me in any court action that you wish to pursue because I will produce evidence as a defence which actually proves you are a cheat RE the pump not fit for purpose because of the poor quality materials and the poor workmanship.
I will be pursuing this matter through the small claims court because as all of you who know me will realise the cost is immaterial its not the fact that this item was only £30 its because when you buy something on the internet it should still be fit for purpose and if it isn't then the seller should replace or refund it really is as simple as that!
Last edited by codless on 05 Sep 2014, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Daveys Fishing Tackle vs Gerry's

Postby TAXI CHRIS » 04 Sep 2014, 17:11

this issue is totally against ebay rules and if you contact ebay or paypal they will refund your money and they will take it up with the seller , no need for small claims court.
Hardcore Addict

Postby codless » 04 Sep 2014, 17:27

TAXI CHRIS wrote:this issue is totally against ebay rules and if you contact ebay or paypal they will refund your money and they will take it up with the seller , no need for small claims court.
Also gerrys was not the best in this situation either, they did substandard work on your rod and did not refund your money either , a credit note is not a refund for bad work.

Unfortunately Chris I was away and never contacted eBay until the time to open a case had expired I just assumed that having been a reasonably regular customer over the last 3 years or so I had bought at least a dozen items from them that it would be a no brainer send it back and either a full refund or a replacement would follow by return of post, If I could upload pictures you would see how flimsy the handle was and it really isn't fit for purpose I do not know if this is the standard quality or whether the one I got was an exception. As for Gerry's I was satisfied with the outcome and surely that is the principal of customer service/
Billy
Hardcore Addict

Postby mac » 04 Sep 2014, 18:15

Do not blame you one bit for putting this up Billy , after reading that i for one would not use them .
f*$£ em !!!
(famous local match man)

Postby john pie » 05 Sep 2014, 07:15

GO GET 'UM
These kind's of thing shouldn't be happening just a shame the guy on the keyboard has no people skill's

I have not bought anything from Davey's but I like you would expect good customer service......
(and won't be using them in the future)..THANK'S FOR THE HEAD'S UP.)
However I have used Gerry's and on 1 occasion I bought the new Sunset Impact Rod 15ft.....

1st time out while casting heard a crack and thought that's not right on checking the Rod notices the 1st ferrel varnish had split luckily not the Rod.......

Rushy was with us that night and seen what had happened and offered to take it back but as I was going there the next week took it myself.........

On inspection at Gerry's the broken section was replaced with no question and an apology so that to me is what Customer Service is all about .......Well done to them......

On the other hand I only buy swivel's / hook's etc on line and it's not often with certain item's it's better to check out the quality before parting with the cash.

As you have said not the money but the principle.
Hardcore Addict

Postby rob f » 05 Sep 2014, 12:02

Thanks for the warning billy :thumb: i will NOT be buying anything of them . just checked there site and looked at the feedback . They seem to have a bad attitude with there customers :huan kerr: :huan kerr:
2023 SPECIES HUNT
Dab, Whiting, 5 bearded rockling, Flounder, Thornback ray, Shanny, Silver eel, Doggie, Tub Gurnard, Coley, Pollock, Starry Smooth-hound, Plaice, Weever, Tope. Mackerel. Turbot. Dover sole.
mersey maestro

Postby djdave » 05 Sep 2014, 21:47

cheers for the warning billy for the sake of a £30 pump and some decent customer service they have put themselfs in the position to loose ££££££££££££s in sales :dumb: :dumb: :dumb: :dumb: :dumb:
Species hunt 2019
Hardcore Addict

Postby Paul » 05 Sep 2014, 22:21

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=daveys-fishing-tackle&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=365&which=negative&mPg=5&page=1

Some really poor feedback.... Have a read what others have to say, and also read his replies - I certainly wouldn't buy from him having read that lot.
Solar powered fisherman

Postby Jammygit » 05 Sep 2014, 22:28

Paul wrote:http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=daveys-fishing-tackle&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=365&which=negative&mPg=5&page=1

Some really poor feedback.... Have a read what others have to say, and also read his replies - I certainly wouldn't buy from him having read that lot.

Wow :o :o as someone said earlier it's how you respond when something goes wrong that shows a good company ....

:dumb: :dumb:
I won't be using them :nonono:
Do or do not, there is no try..... YODA
padsta's lovechild

Postby Paul » 05 Sep 2014, 22:40

A little sample of this sellers attitude - Thes are in the order they appear on the feedback page. Not sure calling your customers "Pricks" is the best way to do business, but what do i know
Attachments
daveys.PNG
daveys.PNG (34.45 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
Solar powered fisherman

Next

Return to Fishing Tackle Reviews