It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:35

CORAL CAY REEF FISHING

Forum for All reports and information for fishing outside of the UK. Fishing holidays and overseas angling trips.

CORAL CAY REEF FISHING

Postby sydneyfish » 02 Dec 2018, 12:06

G'day,
Well its the second day on the outer reef and after feeding the sharks with most of my lures(they like the plastics and bib lures much to my tackle collections demise) thought we'd take a different tack and try to improve.
Well everybody knows one of the big bruisers on the reef is the GT(giant trevally)and they do get big.
So of we motored to the cay with both rods set up with surface poppers(home made)about 150mm in length with a 9/0 hanging from the rear. The water out here is crystal clear and with the polaroids(blue lens) working a treat it wasn't long before we began our drift in 25mtrs about 70mtrs from the reef.
We could see the fish (plenty of them and yes the tax man was there for his percentage take but not as bad as yesterday). The trevally were in the mood and it was game on. Caught a few lost a few but always they give 115% and it was a great morning session we were both knackered.
Back out after lunch trying a different section of the cay with the tide and current head on. The water was rolling off the cay which was good as the bigger fish were waiting for the small baitfish to appear in the wash. We began on the poppers again but to greater success. My mate got into a big barracuda which engulfed his popper in one huge splash and hit. A l;ittle later my popper was smashed by a huge GT to see the water bello up behind the lure(you can see right through to the fish)then a big splash and game on. This one was a bruiser and headed for the reef easily pulling the full drag and moving the boat as well (well be it 5-6 meters)it made the reef and as your probably aware braid and reef don't mix to well and it had its feedom and my popper(good job I made a few).
Another spot and its on again a smaller fish but still handing out the grief. Give and take but the small unit was landed. The sharks watched but left it alone. Guess they know they don't taste good but a hell of a fighter.
Fished for a couple of hours(loving it)then back for dinner and to see how the spear fishers were going and to set up for the final day tomorrow.
Will post and let you know how it goes.
Attachments
FISHING 590.jpg
FISHING 587.jpg
FISHING 584.jpg
FISHING 577.jpg
FISHING 572.jpg
FISHING 566.jpg
Trainee Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Return to International Fishing Forum