It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Cogden & Poole Harbour Dorset

South coast sea fishing forum - Covering Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset - Weymouth Bournemouth Portsmouth Brighton Southampton

Cogden & Poole Harbour Dorset

Postby skatenchips » 02 Dec 2013, 18:11

As I had a Forum meet in the evening @ Holes Bay Poole Harbour I thought it worth the extra mileage to punt past Poole and along to Cogden up the western end of Chesil Beach as id had reports of the Odd flatty making a showing.

Up and out the house by 5AM I arrived at this twee little bait shop in the picturesque village of Abbotsbury around 07.15 AM , Tom the owner was a really nice fella and while he sorted my worms out he was telling me of the wrecks that he and some diving buddies own that they had purchased from the MOD in the 80,s that were now parked forever on the shingle bed in front of
Bridging camp which is a near hours haul from Ferrybridge.

The snags that I had told him of were in his words "Balls".....oooooer....cannon balls up to 18 ins circumference to be precise,as the 17th century ships were laden with armaments and there contents were strewn along the sea bed.....but.....he did say after a good storm that the ships disappear under the shingle as if never there,so yud snag one day and the next your fishing over clear ground.

Anyway,he directed me to Cogden and on arrival its £3 all day parking ticket was well acceptable but he did warn to empty the car as arsoooles did have a habit of breaking in the cars and torching them......hhhmmm so after loading up the Humpalumpa I covered over anything left, I then parked right near the road "and hoped"!!!!!!!!

Have to say after the 10 minute walk down the steep track where my trolley was doing its best to overtake me I arrived on a deserted shingle beach that in the sunshine was a stunning place to be on a November Day.

I set up 200yds right and looking further right you could see some of West Bays Jurassic coastline.

Looking left of me the beach stretched out for miles and you can just make out Portland Bill in the distance,I think though I had walked the wrong way as all the other anglers were in that direction fishing over the clay beds,so maybe next time I'm down ill try further left as well.

Anyway,set up the SRE,s as it was a smallish tide and with 20lb braid on the fixed spools I decided on a 5oz Dvice with size 2,s wishbone with Rag on one and Lug tipped with peeler on tuther.

and on the other 5oz swimfeeder stuffed with fine chopped Ragworm and lugworm with a size 2,s clipped down attached with the same baits.

Just after LW the flood brought a couple of tentative bites but after an hour I had what turned out to be my only proper bite on the feeder rig.

@ 2lb 3oz it was a fine Plaice to catch from this new venue and it came at about 40 yds on the feeder rig....did the groundbait feeder rig work ...or was it just good fortune...don't know but happy to have christened a new venue with a Flatty.

well id like to say that there were more flatties but with the tide flooding and some gull movement I decided to stick a pop up rig out and had a few Joeys plus a couple more on sabiki feathers.

This pair will be for a midweek breakky with Homemade Horseradish sauce.....Yum !!!!!!!!

anyway,with the Poole harbour meet to get to I gave myself 30 mins to pack up and get back up to the car.

I'm afraid the picture doesn't really do the climb back up the hill to the car but if you don't know this venue.......travel light as I swapped arms about 10 times on my trolley going back up......itsa a proper blowout and coming from a fat git who enjoys his pudding another trip will be stripped of all the
unnecessary crap I usually take for a walk.

anyway pleased to find the car in one piece and so on to Poole.....................

Arrived at Holes Bay Poole Harbour and set up 2 barbel rods with 3 oz 3 hook flappers and tried different distances with ragworm as bait.....although it was good to meet the fellers from the forum the fishing was dire....I had 4 shoal bass.

This 2lb 14 oz Flounder won the comp with a few small 2lbers backing up.

Only a few braved the arctic weather but the banter was good and it made it worth the journey,had a few tips on how to fish the venue for another time...so Ill be back.

12.30AM saw me defrosting the car and I was in me pit by 3AM.....knackered or what....but an enjoyable day.
With a Tasty Plaice for Tea and a few late season mackerel.

Cheers

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: Cogden & Poole Harbour Dorset

Postby Padsta Tel » 02 Dec 2013, 20:17

Always wanted to fish in your neck of the woods one day maybe great report and stunning pics belting plaice well done
    :gp: :gp:
15lb Salmon Bolton Market
A box of kippers <Lsle of Man>
Acouple of Mackeral Asda
Cod at our local chippy
Fisherman from hell

Postby sharpey » 02 Dec 2013, 21:44

We could pop down in your new boat Tel..??? Maybe not...
Great report that mate, I too would like one day to try for a big spotty down there, it's a lovely coastline .. Thanks for the read and the pics.. That's one BIG flattie..!!!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby craggers » 02 Dec 2013, 22:06

A :gp: as is the norm, luv the pics looks a lovely beach to fish :thumb:
Born to fish Forced to work
Hardcore Addict

Postby Rushy » 02 Dec 2013, 23:37

Cracking report Gazza :clap: what a fantastic venue that looks, that plaice is a clonker too, target species achieved..... I love it when a plan comes together :thumb:

Nice to see you wearing the AA beanie too, spread the word :love:

:gp: :gp: :gp:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby TerryG » 03 Dec 2013, 01:46

Brilliant report and pics Gazza :clap: Great to see you getting into a few fish and not just cooking them lol :fish: :D :thumb:
Terry 9T's

Postby sharpey » 03 Dec 2013, 08:42

"Nice to see you wearing the AA beanie too, spread the word "...

I see you too have adapted the AA beanie to incorporate the baseball cap within ..??
Image Great move,
I too find this ideal for keeping the sun (?) out of ones eyes , plus the beanie extends over ones lugs keeping them nice and warm ..?? A great addition to the anglers winter gear. Not got a beanie..?? Go get one..!!!
There's more to fishing than catching fish...
sandside assassin

Postby skatenchips » 03 Dec 2013, 10:14

yep,it was nice to christen the new AA beanie hat fella,I guess wearing goggles 24/7 forces us to keep the glare out of our eyes and your so right,a baseball cap with me beanie stretched over the top it kept me earoles toasty all day......agree if you aint got one.....get one ...their the nutz... :thumb:

Gazza
Hardcore Addict

Postby liphook » 03 Dec 2013, 14:35

That looks a cracking new venue you've found there Gazza - three good eating fish in the 1st session is a result. Well done :thumb:
Hardcore Addict

Return to South Coast Sea Fishing Reports