It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:10

choices choices

Forum for plugging and spinning discussion. Using poppers, plugs, spinners and shads to catch Bass Pollack Cod and all other saltwater predators.

choices choices

Postby smokin » 13 Jul 2011, 00:49

two quickies - at the cheaper end of the rod market i can get the RT Tyran for £35 and the Savage gear bushwhacker for £50 - pros and cons of both if you can???

reel - why a 4000 size when a 2500 size will hold enough braid - ?? assume you back the spool up with mono anyway (if so what lb line and is this for 'runs' with the fish?)

only asking as I've com accross the 2500 size 2010 exage for silly money

please hurry up and answer so i can spend some money lol!!

cheers as usual

chris

oh one other - cheap lures (how have your chug bug copies fared to the real deal??)
Sh1t Happens

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: choices choices

Postby Rushy » 13 Jul 2011, 10:40

The RT Tyran, although a decent enough rod for the price and supposedly unbreakable, was a bit too whippy and gutless due to being a slow taper rod in my opinion......certainly in the longer version. The shorter version felt better but it was still more of a spinning rod, rather than a plugging rod/all rounder. When you're plugging you quite often have to work your lures using the rod...popping, walk the dog, using soft plastics
Conversely, the Savage gear Bushwhacker is almost opposite, it's a very fast tapered rod, perfect for topwater plugging and working your lures hard, but you'd struggle with light lures and plastics and the rod is quite stiff. The 10-30g version is only 7ft which is great for popping, not so good for casting a lightweight soft plastic any distance. The longer 8ft 6" is rated at 20-60g, again good for heavy topwater work, not so good for anything else......what you need is a bit of an allrounder.....Brez, a member on here, bought a Bushwhacker and I think he's moved on to a Quantum now.

How about this? http://www.mrfishjersey.com/fishing-rod ... t-4in.html ...not a bad price, and a decent make, but unless you've had a 'waft' with it, it's a bit of a punt.

I know people do use smaller size reels, the 4000 is popular because again it's classed as an all rounder. I suppose the analogy to use is, you could get away with beachcasting with an Abu 5000, but a 6500 would be more suitable.......
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby AndyNuttall1981 » 13 Jul 2011, 11:19

I would tend to agree with Rushy about the RT Tyran. I have the 8' 15-45g version and although it's a decent enough rod for the money, it's not quite got the guts to really get the best out of the lures.
Hardcore Addict

Postby smokin » 13 Jul 2011, 11:55

Cheers for the replies chaps looks like the quantum
energy then unless you hte any other suggestions

Suppose id better get the 4k reel then if you think ill regret the smaller one

keep the ideas coming

cheers
Chris
Sh1t Happens

Postby smokin » 13 Jul 2011, 15:03

Ordered the teklon 802 in the end. Just need a good deal on reel, braid and plugs now typical
veal s out of stock on the reel.
Sh1t Happens

Postby Paul » 13 Jul 2011, 17:42

RE : Cheap chug bug copies....

The small sidewinders are identical to the Storm chug bugs, but the hooks are a bit too small on the wire. Mine are totally out of shape from bending them trying to get them out of the fish. Not 100% id be confident with a big fish on them....

Chug bugs hooks are far superior... Think they are VMC's.
Solar powered fisherman

Postby smokin » 13 Jul 2011, 18:57

update .... teklon 802ml rod bought, exage 4000 fc reel whiplash crystal, long chug bug and sommat else i can't remember - -gonna have to sell another reel now to buy more lures.

anyone need a 7ht turbo in good nick???

think i need some practice too.

anything else you chaps can think of? you know the little bits of terminal tackle etc

- what size of mono are you backing with? - take it you are only putting 100m or so of braid on?

should be called questions questions this thread!!!

cheers in advance :whistle:
Sh1t Happens

Postby Rushy » 13 Jul 2011, 20:50

Good choice of rod...Henry raves about it :thumb:

I've just put on 15lb backing line, it was what I had knocking around.....anything up to 20lb would do I think, it's only for backing and highly unlikely you'll get down to it ??? I've loaded about 100m of braid on top and used a double uni knot to join them.
The 'top' lure anglers also put 5m or so of fluorocarbon rubbing leader on, especially if they're fishing over rocky stuff as braid ain't that abrasion resistant. I personally don't bother because I only topwater plug, and the less knots in the line the better for me! :lol:

You want a few small link swivels, a small folding pocket knife, a pair of pliers is useful too to get trebles out.....in fact I use a cheap leatherman copy, it's got knife/pliers etc etc.....bob on :thumb:

A bag to carry your lures in.....Maybe? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't fall into the trap of buying £25 Jap lures...there's plenty of others out there that will catch just as well :thumb:
Make a difference - take home one piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing
Political Activist

Postby smokin » 13 Jul 2011, 22:37

Rushy wrote:Good choice of rod...Henry raves about it :thumb:

I've just put on 15lb backing line, it was what I had knocking around.....anything up to 20lb would do I think, it's only for backing and highly unlikely you'll get down to it ??? I've loaded about 100m of braid on top and used a double uni knot to join them.
The 'top' lure anglers also put 5m or so of fluorocarbon rubbing leader on, especially if they're fishing over rocky stuff as braid ain't that abrasion resistant. I personally don't bother because I only topwater plug, and the less knots in the line the better for me! :lol:

You want a few small link swivels, a small folding pocket knife, a pair of pliers is useful too to get trebles out.....in fact I use a cheap leatherman copy, it's got knife/pliers etc etc.....bob on :thumb:

A bag to carry your lures in.....Maybe? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't fall into the trap of buying £25 Jap lures...there's plenty of others out there that will catch just as well :thumb:

figured in the end id only be looking at buying another rod if i went down the budget route - this is a good compromise before entering the 'terryzone' of top end rods:lmao:

what size swivels mate? - do these have the clip on as well for attaching the lure to or do you do it differently - i ve only ever pee'd around with spoon like spinners and such for small pike before and that was 20 years plus ago now!

reet looking forward to getting the gear - esp as i can do a bit of freshwater work too - even if its just practice.

as for the rapala bag - already read your review mate and it looks like a big possibility - do you float fish on the rod too then?
Sh1t Happens

Postby Rushy » 13 Jul 2011, 23:32

You made the right choice going as expensive as you could with the rod, like you say..... 'buy cheap, buy twice' :lol: That's probably the rod I'll get when my current one goes tits up :thumb:

Yeah, you want a link swivel with the clip on....it saves faffing about when you want to change your lure.

Don't get the american snap swivel...they're pants.....Image get something like THIS or similar in size 1 or 2 and tie it on with a Palomar knot.....brilliant knot that's never let me down :thumb:

I do float fish too, for pollack and wrasse when the bass aren't biting....I usually have 15lb mono on my spare spool because floatfishing with braid can be tricky!
Political Activist

Next

Return to Saltwater Lure fishing - Spinning and Plugging