It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:49

BlackRock Foosa ZZ 4200

Tried something new? Or had a product that has stood the test of time?? Why not write a review to help other with future purchases!!

BlackRock Foosa ZZ 4200

Postby shacky » 11 Aug 2018, 17:21

The other weekend i popped into BAC to put in my bait order, Trevor suggested i have a look at the rod rack. So i duly spread my beady eyes along the row of rods. A rod stood way out from the crowd. I assembled it, had a wiggle and.....
.....10 minutes later was walking out of the door with it.
Yes, it was another BlackRock surf rod, this one named Foosa ZZ 4200 Rated 100-200g The rod has also been rated to a UK casting weight of 170g or 6oz. It was a bit like the Renaissance, i reviewed previously. Though the Foosa has a bigger price, retailing at £159.99.
So why the price difference, you are thinking (i was).
The vital statistics revealed the reasons.
This blank is built with 40t (ton) carbon, where as the Renaissance is 24t (ton). Which you carbon heads will know as the higher the Tonnage the stronger & lighter the graphite and more expensive.

Rod eyes are again made by Sea*guide, but this time they have fitted gunmetal K series (sic) anti tangle eyes..

There is the white carbon Hybrid tip section..

Fuji reel seat..

And a padded rod bag..

I set the rod up in the garden and gave it a good going over. This rod has a bit of Grunt, but had to wait for the following weekend to try it out.

Weekend came and we were back on the Gynn at Blackpool. Though the weather conditions were at best awful. 30mph south/westerlies and lots of weed.
The Foosa was armed with a fixed spool and a 5oz lead. First cast and the lead sailed away...Impressive. I had another chuck and let the boys loose with it. Now the lads were taken aback just by it's looks and wanted one without having a cast.
By the time they had finished with it, they didn't just want one, they were getting one..!
Later on at high tide i let go with a few OTG casts......This rod is a wolf in sheeps clothing. The lead was traveling far, an easy match for my more expensive rods...i kid you not..! and the lads were back and wanting more.
Don't be deceived by the Foosa's looks, it's not just pretty Purple, it's Awesome!
It had coped easily with lots of weed and high winds. What i really needed were fish, but that would be another weekend.

Back on the Gynn, better weather and hopefully a few fish to test it's mettle. It didn't take long and the Foosa handled itself amicably, no problem lifting fish..

The lads were back again, There going to buy one.

The Verdict......
This rod ticks all the boxes. It's a match for any rod twice the price. Can handle anything you throw at it, slim blank and looks stunning...What else can i say !
Don't take my word for it, try one. You'll be shocked!
Top marks BlackRock, you have this rod spot on at a Super price :thumb:
<º))2023 Species))><..Dab, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Weaver, Dover Sole, Starry Smoothound, Turbot, Bass, Tope, Common Smoothound, Thornback Ray, Dogfish..<º))Hunt))><
Global Moderator

Sponsored Advert - Register or Login to hide Adverts

Sponsored Advert

Re: BlackRock Foosa ZZ 4200

Postby ray » 12 Aug 2018, 10:53

excellent review shacky, certainly looks the part, seems a lot of rod for not a bad price. :thumb:
2023 species hunt.....Rockling, Dab, flounder, whiting, shanny.
Hardcore Addict

Postby starfish » 12 Aug 2018, 11:33

I also have got one i got it a few months back excellent match and scratching rod
best suited to 4 to 5oz think the 6oz is a bit too much with bait
over head thumps send baits a very good distance bite detection is exelent
grate for scratching close in and picking small bites up
grate fun and a good bit of kit :D
starfish sea fishing. You tube.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Jammygit » 12 Aug 2018, 11:49

Cracking review mate :gp:
Do or do not, there is no try..... YODA
padsta's lovechild

Postby shacky » 04 May 2020, 11:46

Having a lot more time to myself than expected, due to the Pandemic. An update on the Foosa was a good idea.
This rod has had more than 18 months of hard use and served me very well. It has landed many species from Sole to Smoothound and has not given me one qualm.
I know it's only rated to 200grm, plus an honest UK rating of 170grm. But casting out 6oz leads with pennel rigs armed to the teeth with masses of bait, was no problem, and it took it all in it's stride.
Add to that lifting fish and weed up the wall and coping with surging Smoothound runs made this rod all the better.
So after all this, how has the Foosa took battle damage ?
I'm being totally honest with you now..................Amazingly well!

There is no cracking on the high build..

Absolutely Zero Rust anywhere on the the eyes or rod fittings..

The tip eye has had a few scrapes, still faultless..

I know quite a few anglers that have purchased a Foosa (or two) and the feedback i have received has been nothing but positive. Some preferring their Blackrock to more expensive rods in their armoury.

So, are there any bad points ?
Just one to speak of, which was soon sorted out.. We noticed the spiggots having small splinters of carbon taken out of them..

The problem was the rod bag....Pushing the rod sections in the bag spiggot first was causing them to catch on the material and splinter. The cure was easy..

Push your rod sections in the bag with the spiggot facing out of the bag (as shown above)

Superb rods i would recommend to anyone and everyone. Absolute bargain for the price and well lasting :thumb:
<º))2023 Species))><..Dab, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Weaver, Dover Sole, Starry Smoothound, Turbot, Bass, Tope, Common Smoothound, Thornback Ray, Dogfish..<º))Hunt))><
Global Moderator

Postby Paul R » 04 May 2020, 16:48

Yes cracking rods iain,I had as light splint on one of my rods spigot to, used super glue to solve the problem. Great rods in all weather conditions.
Hardcore Addict

Postby Andym107 » 10 Aug 2020, 22:27

Hi,

I’m interested in how the Foosa handles and performs in comparison to the Renaissance? I have the latter, but am considering getting the Foosa, but wonder if it is worth the extra?
Trainee Addict

Postby shacky » 11 Aug 2020, 19:07

In a word “Yes” it is a more powerful rod, built with a stronger lighter grade of carbon. And the gunmetal KWAG eyes are very good, especially if fishing with braid. It will add yards to your cast, which can make a difference at times.
Give it a try if you can. You won’t be disappointed :thumb:
Global Moderator

Postby Andym107 » 13 Aug 2020, 22:14

Thank you for that. What reel do you pair it with, as I use a PEN Rebellion II 7000 with my Renaissance, which is a lovely setup....?
Trainee Addict

Postby shacky » 13 Aug 2020, 22:22

I use PENN Affinity 7000 reels. Which are used on all my Continental rods.
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Fishing Tackle Reviews